preventing food waste

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

Re: preventing food waste

Postby Marrow » 05 Feb 2014, 10:46

Re salad: StJ I think you're right when it comes to e.g. a lettuce, but certainly in my fridge (sample size of one!) bagged salad (i.e. pre-chopped and washed or chlorinated or whatever it is they do to the stuff) fares better (takes longer to go limp) if we clip the bag shut.

Re freezer contents: we have magnetic scrabble letters and keep an inventory on the door!!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby SusanMcGee » 05 Oct 2016, 10:43

Most of the food that's wasted each day is thrown out by restaurants and grocery stores. Most would give it away, but apparently if someone gets sick from eating food they got for free they can sue the person they got it from. There was a law passed under Clinton, something like 'good Samaritan food act' to protect people from getting sued like this, but it's know well known, so most of it is still thrown away.
SusanMcGee

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Oct 2016, 12:24

Could that be because restaurants and grocery stores buy so much more than the average family anyway?

Sorry, I know this is an ancient topic but it's made interesting reading and persuaded me eat leftovers for lunch so that one random fish cake doesn't just get chucked out.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Previous

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use