Moving on from a bare-bum!

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Moving on from a bare-bum!

Postby babydsmummy » 31 Jan 2016, 19:51

Sorry, I've not really been around much lately and here I am with yet another potty training thread! We seem to be finally making a bit of progress with J - he hasn't had any accidents at all today BUT he can only do this with a bare bum. He also won't poo on the potty yet, but that's another story! So I was just wondering what strategies people have used to move on from only being dry when half naked - I can't really send him to school like that! As soon as he has pants on he wets them, although to be fair he does sometimes realise after a dribble then finish on the potty. I'm wondering about going commando with trousers as an in between stage? Or maybe trying the Dry Like Me pads. It would be really good to get him out of pull ups!!
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Re: Moving on from a bare-bum!

Postby sabrina fair » 31 Jan 2016, 19:59

Well done J! And yes, I'd suggest commando - it's not tight against his skin so less likely to confuse than pants but gets him used to having something there. Worth a try anyway!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby DandelionFrosting » 01 Feb 2016, 01:19

Yes to going commando. Underpants feel too much like a diaper, and it's so hard for little ones to remember all day that they're not wearing one. Plus, it's fewer layers to deal with when they have to take them off and on. It was about a month for my two before I felt like they could deal with having underwear on and still be trusted to remember not to pee everywhere. And even then, if they went back to having accidents I left out the underwear, then the trousers.

I don't know about school, though. Do they have any kind of regulations? I've heard that a lot of day cares insist on underwear, because they can't watch as closely and in the case of . . . solid . . . accidents they don't want it falling on the floor where other kids might pick it up.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby busmother » 01 Feb 2016, 10:14

I don't know about school, though. Do they have any kind of regulations?

Don't know about this, but W has forgotten to wear pants a few times at school, and I daresay he's not the only one.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby Kitcameron » 01 Feb 2016, 21:11

You'd be amazed how many pairs of pants end up in lost property at schools, even the older kids somehow manage to loose it.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby MamaKh » 01 Feb 2016, 22:31

Thumbs up for commando. And if school has regulations and are afraid of "thighs" falling out, how about pants with elastic around the ankles, it will be contained... Well done so far!
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby babydsmummy » 01 Feb 2016, 22:52

DandelionFrosting wrote:I don't know about school, though. Do they have any kind of regulations? I've heard that a lot of day cares insist on underwear, because they can't watch as closely and in the case of . . . solid . . . accidents they don't want it falling on the floor where other kids might pick it up.

LOL - that has happened at my school! The Y1/2 teacher kept finding clumps of 'mud' on the floor. Took a while to realise what it really was and didn't ever find the culprit!! I hadn't thought about it but would definitely be an issue while he isn't willing to even attempt a poo on the toilet/potty - he sometimes does several a day and that could be problematic if they're landing on the floor! Can't really put him in elastic bottomed trousers for school. Still, I'll try commando at home as the next step and see how we go. Thanks x
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby DandelionFrosting » 02 Feb 2016, 00:19

Hmmm . . . . Could you put him in tights underneath?
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Return to The Bottom Line