Washing cloth diapers hot or cold?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Washing cloth diapers hot or cold?

Postby MamaKh » 08 Dec 2015, 23:14

Hi
Just got my first shipping of cloth diapers from Shanghai/eBay (!) and of course forgot the seller I bought them from. Checking up on washing they all show cold rinse /or 30 (38)C as max. I have polyester TPU and fleece covers, and inserts made from cotton bamboo, one set microfibre and one set charcoal microfiber. Considering that I wash the cotton newborn cloth in 60 or preferably 90 C it feels kind of gross to just cold rinse. I understand the covers might break or lose the water proofing if warmer but the inserts... And I find that most clothes in general are recommended cold/30 but I always do minimum 40C and even 60C for underwear, is there a reason for these bamboo and microfibres to wash cold or is it just the usual manufacturer precaution?

All input welcome! How warm do you wash your inserts? Any environmental aspects on overusing energy w warm/hot washes? Will the inserts break at hotter temperatures?
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Re: Washing cloth diapers hot or cold?

Postby eterna » 09 Dec 2015, 01:28

Hmm, I always did a cold rinse first with maximum water, then a full long hot wash with full detergent at only half water (to the top of the diapers). I had a mix of MF and bamboo inserts and mostly pockets with PUL outers. Maybe over time they won't last as long, but everyone I know washes their diapers on hot water. As long as it's not a "Sanitize" cycle I think you are ok.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Treeb » 09 Dec 2015, 02:17

Eterna, I actually wash mine on a sanitize cycle, so I'm curious why you say not that? We use mostly cotton prefolds and cotton flats, with the occasional pocket diaper. I do just throw the pockets in with my regular diaper load and sometimes wash our PUL covers in the same load or sometimes with our regular laundry. I do a cold rinse with extra water, then the sanitize cycle, then an extra child rinse afterwards.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby junglewonderland » 09 Dec 2015, 05:49

I have pockets, PUL covers with bamboo and hemp inserts and some microfiber boosters. My nappy instructions say rinse in cold water then wash in warm.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby MamaKh » 09 Dec 2015, 11:47

Thanks always quick and relevant answers! I'll probably continue with 60C wash but add the rinse cycle. I never did but on the other hand always brushed, soaped and rinsed the poopy inserts before putting in the pile. The pockets were cheap and I'd rather have them clean and last shorter than nasty and longer :)
I have read that pockets and inserts should be washed separately, just seems like an awful lot of laundry but maybe I will think differently when DS2 starts on solids.
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby ches » 09 Dec 2015, 18:56

Cold water wash is fine if you tumble dry. You need the heat to sanitize, but you can get that from the dryer or the sunshine, and you're not going to get the latter in the UK in winter!
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby MamaKh » 09 Dec 2015, 20:42

ches wrote:Cold water wash is fine if you tumble dry. You need the heat to sanitize, but you can get that from the dryer or the sunshine, and you're not going to get the latter in the UK in winter!

Ah, yes, UV light. Didn't click for me till now, thanks. Nope we don't have that I northern Sweden as well this time of year but I do have a dryer :)
MamaKh

Return to The Bottom Line