Potty training woes

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Potty training woes

Postby mamapup » 03 Nov 2015, 17:26

Little Croc is great, no accidents since.first week but she's still asking for the potty all the time. We know it's often when she needs a poo and hasn't quite figured out what to do but sometimes it just seems to be wee related. She shouts wee wee wee a lot and then does nothing. It's supremely annoying on the way to and from nursery when we also have a tired puppy to deal with or need to get to work. I've even had to get off buses.

How do we help fix the additional potty calls? Is it just time or has anyone got any tips for us, please?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: Potty training woes

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 03 Nov 2015, 21:21

Oooooh I feel your pain!!! It is just time, I'm afraidy waidy! Pickle still calls false alarms but they are fewer and farther between I'm pleased to say!!! (our real low point was 8 toilet trips in Pizza Express - toilets upstairs - followed by a poo in the knickers 4 seconds after sitting down from the 8th trip!!!)

I do remember (with both) that it would take several trips to finally do a poo - always asking for a wee - but I found reading to her whilst on the toilet or singing songs helped the poo along! A little distraction when a long way with her!

Hope it doesn't go on for too long.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby mamapup » 03 Nov 2015, 22:58

Thanks. We don't mind in the house so much as she wonders off and brings us a potty if we aren't near one, or just tells us where she's going but those demands along the mile to nursery are a pain. The puppy is patient but we sometimes have to bribe him to stay still as ye gets impatient.

Time...just time. I know she's done super well to be accident free so little but this is annoying... Although not eight trips in pizza express annoying! I wonder what it is about pizza express, the puppy regularly still demands multiple trips to the loo there, ours the loo is downstairs and you sit upstairs so it's equally annoying, especially if there alone with two children. Mental note, do not go there with two alone, don't think o could cope with his loo obsession there and her repeated trips too.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 03 Nov 2015, 23:07

Yes, they know how to ruin a meal!!!! Especially having 2 girls and most boys toilets are "too horrible to take them in" (according to DH!) I do look for disabled ones so he can take them as well. I know it's a bit naughty but there are only so many trips I can handle!!!

It's one of those things that you just can't risk, isn't it! Even when you KNOW they aren't going to go - you just have to take them!!!!!

It's a phase, it's a phase, it's a phase, it's a phase, it's a phase......!! (to the tune of "You can fly" from Peter Pan). I am coming to loathe the phrase but sometimes you have to just smile and know it will all be over one day!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby DandelionFrosting » 03 Nov 2015, 23:26

Here, too. I feel like, between the two of them, anywhere I go I spend 80% of my time in the restroom. Saurus still asks for unnecessary trips to the bathroom, too, whenever he gets bored and wants my attention or because he just wants to look at the pipes. At least Zilla is honestly trying! I hope they all figure it out soon. If nothing else, after a while you get so you can kind of gauge when it's safe to ask them to wait until you get where you're going. Still. On a two-hour shopping trip the other day, I ended up going to the bathroom five times!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby lizandimo » 04 Nov 2015, 04:09

We have lots of trips with nothing when she needs a poo too. I'm pretty sure that's the reason she's already called me up twice since she's gone to bed. Probably means she'll go in her nappy when she falls asleep and I'll have to do a stealth change when I go to bed. I'm actually glad to hear that this seems to be a normal stage of potty training though, even if it is frustrating!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby bigcatmaniac » 07 Nov 2015, 02:58

Bloody hell MP. Little croc potty training already. My dd1 is still not trained and she's 3yrs 2 months now. Will regularly wee and poo herself and NEVER asks to go. Aargh!. Really hopeful that dd2 might get it sooner. You give me hope :-)
bigcatmaniac

Postby mamapup » 07 Nov 2015, 08:29

Bigcat, the puppy was a bugger too to sort. Little Croc couldn't be more different. No accidents in weeks now. I think happy feet also had extremely different experiences with her two.

mamapup

Postby lisbeth » 07 Nov 2015, 10:06

Big at, my two have been utterly different too - dd dry at 3 1/2 but no clue on poos until she was well over 4, and still not completely sorted, but ds sorted, day and night, wees and poos from 2 1/2, with practically no input from me apart from stopping nappies. I was astonished (and selfishly quite relieved that our issues with dd weren't just me being rubbish with her, though that certainly had an impact). So there's definitely hope!
A 2011, R 2012
lisbeth

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Nov 2015, 14:52

mamapup wrote:I think happy feet also had extremely different experiences with her two.

Ugh - don't remind me. 11 weeks of shit. Literally!!!!!

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby bigcatmaniac » 08 Nov 2015, 10:21

Well it's been since first week in August so far - since she refused to wear pull ups during the day - so 3 months of poos so far. Wee's since April - when she announced she was a big girl and wanted to wear pants. But I would put her in a pull up to go out and she would usually poo then. Progress the other day though - she went on the potty on her own and had a wee for the first time. Spilt the wee everywhere trying to bring me the potty but still ......
bigcatmaniac

Return to The Bottom Line