Washable nappies leaking every night on 20mo

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Washable nappies leaking every night on 20mo

Postby Feefielou » 29 Aug 2015, 07:28

I seek your wisdom, please!

Lately Moonbeam's bumgenius nappies have been leaking pretty much every single night. It seems like they're leaking around the leg holes, so we have been super-ultra-extra vigilant about checking the fit before we put her to bed, both me and Mr Feefielou approving one-another's handiwork, but it happens nevertheless. We did a really thorough strip wash last weekend but that didn't help. We always line dry them and use a very small amount of detergent. We thought maybe the type of disposable liners we were using might be the problem so we changed brand, and also tried without any at all, but no luck. We use a fleece liner inside for night-time use-- do we perhaps need to double up? I fear it would actually be a challenge to close the nappy up properly with more filling.

On weekdays she has disposables at daycare so the night-time nappy is the only reusable one she wears in any 24 hours other than at weekends, and it would really be a shame to give up and switch to 100% disposables during the week.

What else can I try? (aside from not letting her drink much before bedtime, which would be tantamount to child abuse as she's always desperate for a drink when she gets home).
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Re: Washable nappies leaking every night on 20mo

Postby mamapup » 29 Aug 2015, 07:57

At that age we gave up on real nappies I'm afraid. The puppy was in them all day and disposables at night but they just stopped working. We tried and tried and eventually conceded that his bladder beat the capacity of the nappy. I was gutted but accepted we'd had a good run. Like you we tried everything first.

And little Croc wore real nappies for one day before I thought 'screw this'. Turns out disposables are soooo much easier. So we pay a fortune for biodegradable disposables and my guilt only bubbles to the surface every now and again. But I do miss the cute little bum in those gorgeous nappies.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 30 Aug 2015, 18:21

Are they wet through or just leaking in particular areas? I don't know bumgenius - can you fold the inner bit differently so it's thicker where she wees? Failing that it sounds like you need a more absorbent nappy. Although one way of achieving that without having to buy more nappies could be by putting a booster around the outside of the current nappy then adding a wrap like motherease airflow over the top.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Feefielou » 31 Aug 2015, 08:19

Thank you both. Good point, sf, we have two kinds and one can be folded in different configurations so I'll try making a bit more padding in the appropriate place. I've also fished out the newborn inserts (since we're using those now with the lentil) and tonight I'm going to try adding one of those in addition to the usual stuff. Otherwise, we may end up reluctantly going the same was as you, mp, since changing sheets every day seems to kind of defeat the object of the effort at being environmentally friendly. We too spend a fortune on eco-friendly disposables but at least here it's not too much of a sacrifice because standard disposables are also silly expensive compared to back home, so the choice is made rather easier for us in financial terms at least.
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby sabrina fair » 31 Aug 2015, 13:25

Let me know how it goes! Actually, I'm a bit of a fraud because squidge has always been in disposables at night because he fed so much I couldn't face the trial and error needed to find a cloth nappy that would hold it. Now he's night weaned I really ought to start the bedtime experiments but keep 'accidentally' buying another pack of disposables! However, he's in cloth all day every day, so I can kind of justify 7 disposables a week for night time...
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Treeb » 31 Aug 2015, 14:15

We've used cloth all along with L and used various combinations at night as his needs changed. Most recently we've been using a cotton prefold plus a hemp or bamboo insert in a toddler sized cover which has worked well but he is getting too big for the prefolds! We are about to try out some "Super Undies" which are basically cloth pull-ups, so we'll see how that goes.

For A we have been using cloth in the day and disposables at night and I think I am just going to be lazy with her and continue that for a while!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby WishingBone » 31 Aug 2015, 16:47

There came a point with smudge where daytime nappies just didn't cut it at night. Try Terry squares, boosted with another square, or Bumbles nappies stuffed to bursting point. We got some extra big motherease wraps to go over the top. The whole thing would have been too big and cumbersome for daytime, but that didn't matter at night. If you're getting leaks, it's probably lack of absorbency rather than bad fit. Just make em bigger till you get there! Superundies are great for older bedwetters who have started to produce less wee at night, but not absorbent enough for a toddler at peak production, in my experience!
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Return to The Bottom Line