Lifting?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Lifting?

Postby StJuniper » 07 Aug 2015, 01:43

P is starting to be dry some nights, and also waking some evenings to go to the bathroom. Is lifting a good idea? Or will he just be nighttime dry in his own time without my intervention?
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Re: Lifting?

Postby RachelS » 07 Aug 2015, 06:46

Rather than lifting where they stay asleep and don't register going to the toilet it is better to wake and walk. So they are aware of what they are doing and that their bladder is full.
Aspiring yummy mummy but managing to be a slummy mummy to 2 gorgeous boys.
DS1 11/08/06
DS2 14/09/09
RachelS

Postby pimento » 07 Aug 2015, 15:53

RachelS wrote:Rather than lifting where they stay asleep and don't register going to the toilet it is better to wake and walk. So they are aware of what they are doing and that their bladder is full.

We do wake and walk as well, so that she is semi awake and is aware of what she's doing rather than seeing in her sleep IYSWIM.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby EnigmaFish » 07 Aug 2015, 22:35

What is the timeframe between when they go to bed and you lift or walk them? Kleintje goes to bed around 8, and I go to bed around 12. Is that about right for a nighttime toilet visit? I'm not sure how long to leave her.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby ChristmasGift » 11 Aug 2015, 19:00

The Babs went through a phase of being wet at night, having been dry for weeks. I just made enough noise when I went to bed for her to stir and took her then. It would have been about 10.00/11.00 (she'd have been asleep from 6.30). I guess it all depends on what time they're going in their sleep?
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 12 Aug 2015, 19:50

I occasionally life Pickle, but only when she didn't wee immediately before bed. She barely wakes and that is a good thing as I have no intention of partying for the next 3 hours, which is what she would want if she woke properly.

I've just started with Munchie as she is still weeing in the night. I make her walk as she is much better at going back to sleep afterwards. If she wee's, she doesn't wet her nappy, if she doesn't, she does. I'm trying to encourage her as she wants to wear knickers at night (seeing as her little sister does!!!) but she still wee's most nights. I'm hoping this will mark the start of going dry for her.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby mamapup » 12 Aug 2015, 21:50

Am I mad that I don't want to do this? Should we be?
The puppy generally has a very full nappy but we think he wees in the morning as on those awful airport mornings he's always dry when we get.up early. I can't face lifting him, he's such a little trickster generally.

He says he wants to wear pants at night but won't stop drinking water and milk before bed. He doesn't have his own milk but he always steals little Croc's and then downs a flask of water most nights too. We've explained the connection and he totally understands so we figure he'll get there. Probably once little Croc does and he gets annoyed.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 12 Aug 2015, 23:38

No, MP, you are not. I have not wanted to lift Munchie for a while, despite her saying she wants to wear knickers. She too has water by her bed and won't give it up. I'm all for following her body's lead and thinking she'll be dry when she is ready.

But, partly because of Pickle being dry at night (and I don't want her to be upset by that) and partly because, actually, I'm fed up with forking out for nappies, we're trying this route. She wants to and I think I should try and help her with this. I told her we would give it a week and see where we were. I'm thinking that if she wee's when I wake her, then she can stay in knickers for the remainder of the night but if she doesn't , then she will have to put a nappy on.

We'll see how it all pans out. I'm open to options. At the end of the day, I'd like her out of nappies and so would she!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby mamapup » 13 Aug 2015, 07:25

Phew, thanks. I suspect we will end up exactly where you are in a year or two though. Easy second one, tricky first one.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emzit » 13 Aug 2015, 07:26

I domt think you're mad mp. I have no intention of doing it. Muncher is dry most nights which is definitely an improvement from a few months ago. He doesn't always wee before bed so I think that's a big part of it. He has told us he's not ready to wear undies at night so I'm leavkng thinga to sort themselves out.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Lily » 13 Aug 2015, 10:13

Yup, we're in the same position too mp. Izbiz is dry about one night in three and I'm happy to wait till he wants to wear pants at night before we muck about with lifting. He often likes to have a drink at bedtime and it's a lottery whether or not he gets to the potty pre-wee in the morning.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby StJuniper » 13 Aug 2015, 10:56

P does wants to wear underpants at night and occasionally wakes himself to go. Mainly my issue is being too forgetful/lazy when my bedtime rolls around...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby MamaKh » 13 Aug 2015, 18:46

Mostly experience from some 27 yrs ago w my baby sister: we would take her about 2-3 hours after her bedtime and that was enough (about 9-10 pm). Just lifting her to the potty next to her bed. I've done it a few times with DS as well, and then I whisper a queuing "kisssss" (wee in Swedish) just as I do in the daytime, but he has to be preinformed and motivated, or he might have a fit, so I stopped. If he hasn't weed before sleeping I might just put a diaper on him, or take a chance. So a few mornings ago I had to wash our mattress cover, both my and DH's duvets along with our bed sheets. I had missed to place a PUL matress cover on DH's side as well :oops:

Back to the time frame: physiologically it is in later at night, in deep sleep that the kidneys have changed their settings and produce less urine, so most will be produced just at bedtime and close after. If that is emptied out they are more on the safe side.mif they need to go mostly they will, if not after 1-2 min take to bed and try later or just take a chance.
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Return to The Bottom Line