Reusable liners?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Reusable liners?

Postby mindy » 29 Jul 2015, 10:32

Do any of you use reusable liners with your cloth nappies? If so, how do you manage the process - seems v messy to me.... but I like the idea!

Also, with your wet bags, do you empty the nappies out, or just open the bag and plop it in the washing machine? And do you soak your nappies or just wash them?

Sorry for so many questions, I didn't use them at all with Min, and it's 6 years since I used them with Roo!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Re: Reusable liners?

Postby busmother » 29 Jul 2015, 19:10

I have a mixture of fleece liners and paper ones which I wash and reuse until they fall apart. So far (at 3m) his poos are so runny the nappies are as messy as the liners so I just bung the whole lot in the bucket. In that sense, less messy than separating everything out. I didn't use reusable liners first time round, and when we got to the icky solid food poo stage, I only reused the paper ones if they were just wet, and flushed them if they were poo-ey. But mine always did quite soft poos so it would have been quite messy. My nephew seemed to do much harder poos so my sister was able to just tip them into the loo.

I don't soak them - it's not advised with most modern nappies (bad for the elastic and the PUL), and not necessary even with terry squares. I do empty out the wet bag, because I tend to reuse it a few times before I wash it, unless it's really mucky.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby mindy » 31 Jul 2015, 19:08

Thank you Busmother, that really helps. I'm going to start after our holiday in a few weeks, as I still have several packs of disposables to use up.

Just to make sure I've got it right: runny milk-poo nappies and liners straight in nappy bin then in the washing machine just as they are, but separate them more when poos become firmer later on.

Do you just use normal non-bio washing liquid or do you add anything else? I will use a bit of tea tree oil in the nappy bin, and maybe in the wash too.

Managed to get some v pretty wraps off a local FB site, all unbranded so I hope they will be ok.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Treeb » 31 Jul 2015, 19:59

I use fleece liners now for L but he no longer poos in a diaper. The few times I did use them with runny poo I found they just made everything into an even bigger mess, then once his poo turned more solid I could pretty much just dump it straight off the diaper into the toilet so there didn't seem much point in using a liner. I use the fleece now just to keep it a little drier feeling against his skin in the night.

I haven't been using any kind of liners for A. Breast milk poo can just be left on diaper and washes off in laundry, once they have food poo it needs to be dumped and rinsed off diaper before washing.

We use a bucket for our diapers rather than a wet bag, but I definitely would empty them out of the bag of you are using that. We don't do any soaking. They get a cold rinse, then a hot wash cycle, then cold rinse a couple more times to make sure the soap is all rinsed out.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mindy » 02 Aug 2015, 20:26

Thanks Treeb, some good tips there. I probably just need to get on and do it, rather than think about it too much!
mindy

Postby sabrina fair » 03 Aug 2015, 18:53

Squidge has - appropriately enough - quite squidgy poos so we like the flushable liners. For harder poos I much prefer fleece liners though.

Don't soak nappies here, and wetbags are pushed inside out within the machine (no mess because you're pushing on the outside of the bag) to make sure all the nappies come out, and then washed with everything else.

If you look on the nappy lady website there's loads of good advice.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to The Bottom Line