2yo dry at night. 5yo not. Updated - 1 week dry!!!!!

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

2yo dry at night. 5yo not. Updated - 1 week dry!!!!!

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 04 Jul 2015, 14:32

What to do??

Pickle hasn't had a wet nappy at night for about a month so we put her in knickers last night and she's dry.

Munchie has had the odd dry nappy in the mornings - perhaps 1-2 per month. She keeps saying she wants to wear knickers at night but I've said only when she's had a week of dry nappies in the mornings. She sleeps like the dead and I don't think her body will wake her if she needs a wee.

Is there anything I can do to encourage her?? I don't want her to be knocked back by the fact that her little sister is dry and she isn't.

I've been reading conflicting information (on kids???? NOOoOOOooOOOO!!!!!!) saying there is something in the body which needs to develop, or they are getting lazy and are used to the nappies etc etc. I've tried to be child led in all things developmental and figure when she's dry, she's dry, but then I'm wondering if I can do anything to help her??

It's ironic that Munchie was fairly easy to day train but is still wetting at night, whereas Pickle was a total nightmare to train and is night dry already!!!
Last edited by UnhappyRightFoot on 21 Aug 2015, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: 2yo dry at night. 5yo not.

Postby Rahgamuffin » 04 Jul 2015, 16:36

J was dry a good year-18 months before B - similar situation in that B sleeps through everything, he struggles to get to sleep, but once he is there, nothing will rouse him. We put an old phone under his pillow to wake him up, which worked for a few weeks, but then he slept through the alarm under his pillow, then after a couple of wet weeks, it seemed to just click. We still have the alarms, but I've stood next to him shaking him while they it is going off and he still hasn't woken, but if they're not there, then he is wet, so I wonder if he half wakes when he needs to go and the alarm finishes off the waking up process. He is much older than Munchie though.
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby ches » 04 Jul 2015, 17:27

It depends when she's wetting. If it's early, you can wake her before you go to bed. If it's in the morning it's laziness to get up or hold it when there's a convenient nappy to wee in. If it's early hours of the morning I'd say she's not ready.

J was out of nappies at night at 2 (in the day at 18mo) and fairly regularly wet until he was 5 (sometimes not for two weeks, sometimes 3 nights a week). We picked changing sheets and jammies over forcing him into nappies he didn't want to wear for self-esteem reasons.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby RachelS » 04 Jul 2015, 17:54

Ds1 has only just become dry at night aged 8.5.
Ds2 is 5.75 and stil wears nappies/ wet at night. He's distressed if I mention trying without. However he is never dry on waking.
They all develop differently.
Try making sure no fluids 2 hrs prior to bed time.
No black current as it's an irritant to the bladder.
No fizzy drinks
No caffeine
And ensure adequate fluids in waking hours.
Aspiring yummy mummy but managing to be a slummy mummy to 2 gorgeous boys.
DS1 11/08/06
DS2 14/09/09
RachelS

Postby Kitcameron » 04 Jul 2015, 18:54

SM was dry at night from when she was dry during the day, a few months ago. But I put training pants on her at night just in case cos maybe 1 in 3 she'd be wet. DH started calling them nappies, which led her to start calling them nappies, and then she started wetting the, every night. I decided that I'd just put her straight into big girl pants at night and see what happened as I had an idea if she knew she was in pants she'd wake to pee. It worked last night, let's see what happens tonight. I don't know if that'd work for Munchie or not but if she wants to wear pants maybe it's worth a shot. SM has a waterproof cover on her mattress so all I'd have to wash would be here sheets so I don't think that's too bad ATM, if she wets it every night I may start changing my mind lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby MamaKh » 05 Jul 2015, 07:58

There is a hormone, Anti Diuretic Hormone, ADH that needs to be developed in high enough amounts to reduce urine production at night. Some are late and will be helped with a substitute, Minirin nose spray or tablet taken at bedtime.

On the note of laziness etc P (3) will wet a diaper and underwear but mostly hold it when but naked or at least react more to wetting him self and wake up during or just after. After all they are used to ignore the feel of a wet diaper since they were born. Maybe she can't hold the deal you want to make with her and needs the opportunity (including expected accidents) to be able to learn? If you think she is immature a visit to the GP might help?
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 08 Jul 2015, 22:22

Occasionally she has wee'd by the time DH and I go to bed but most of the time it's morning.

I think we are going to try just trying it. She finishes school tomorrow, then a week of summer camp so I think we'll give it a go the following week, when we aren't rushing around in the morning so if she does wee, we have time to sort it out.

She doesn't seem upset by it and has been quite accepting about having to wait but she had several wee (and touching cloth poos) accidents last week and she hasn't had one for months. I'm hoping it's end of term tiredness/over excitement and not contained upset!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby ChristmasGift » 09 Jul 2015, 19:08

I don't know if something like this would help but we've got some special pants which the Babs wears at night. We call them her night time knickers. They are not training pants - they look like big knickers and come in various designs. They're made of towelling and do offer some protection from a wee. It's meant that they few nights she has been wet, in combination with the waterproof mattress the clean up hasn't been too bad. She's damp rather than sodden. As far as she's concerned, she's definitely in pants not nappies. The label is Bambino MIO and we got them in ASDA. Might be worth a try?
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Re: 2yo dry at night. 5yo not. Updated - 1 week dry!!!!!

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 21 Aug 2015, 20:39

So, as the headline reads - Munchie has been dry at night for 1 week!!!! Well, technically 2 - we did a week in nappies then a week in knickers.

I take her to the loo when I go to bed and she mostly does a wee. I did explain to her that if she doesn't wee, then I'd put her in a nappy but she kicked off big time when I tried to (well, she was half asleep) so I left her in knickers expecting a wet bed and she was dry!!! She has been 3 times!

Hurrahh!!!!!

(now fully prepares for wet beds in the morning now I've told you all!!!!)

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 22 Aug 2015, 08:44

...... told you she would!! Well, they both did.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby MamaKh » 27 Aug 2015, 09:06

2 steps forwaed one step back :)
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Return to The Bottom Line