3 day potty training?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

3 day potty training?

Postby eterna » 16 Jun 2015, 21:51

So we've been slowly introducing the potty a la "BLPT" method. The boy that we share a nanny with who is 2.5 has been using the potty since before Christmas and is now quite reliable, so DS has seen him using it a lot. In the last week or so (since the weather has warmed up) I've been letting DS go around bare bum and he has actually peed a couple times in the toilet.

I'm sort of wondering if we should bite the bullet and just do the 3 day potty training method. Lots of folks here really recommend buying the ebook. Lots have said it will work if the kid is ready, and if it doesn't work, then just go back to nappies for a few months and try again.

Any comments from here? I'm wondering if the 3 day method is sort of a more mainstream and less "gentle" approach, but I can really see the appeal of not stretching it out for ages and ages sort of in a half and half mode.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Re: 3 day potty training?

Postby Brigitte » 17 Jun 2015, 04:54

We stretched it out for ages and ages. It might have to do with our child's personality, she is very resistant to pressure of any sort, and any perceived pressure would likely have resulted in power struggles and backsliding and all that.

Another friend of mine, she tried various potty training methods with incentives, and her child ended up with very serious constipation issues that required a few enemas and therapy and a few extra years of issues beyond actual potty training.

So, that is my total sample of two case studies that I have to offer. Obviously there are thousands of other children and other stories out there, so my real answer is just "it depends". Best of luck with it all!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby MamaKh » 18 Jun 2015, 12:25

At 2,5 they child really has a big say in what ever happens, especially regarding something so personal. As Birgitte said my DS has also been very reactive towards any kind of push. Maybe this is due to the respect they learn to expect when growing up the first year with BLW? Since your DS has a role model in a toddler friend, how do you talk about it? What seems to be DS's goal and intention?

If you want to go gentle, continue to catch as many pees and poos and go bare bum/diaper free as much as possible, aim for morning pees etc and cherish that he actually can and have done it and cooperates to sit on the toilet, I wouldn't want to spoil that with to much push. OTH I have no experience w 3 day method neither good or bad. Just sharing your wish to be done and over with ASAP, w/o ending up frustrated and fighting over it.
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby eterna » 18 Jun 2015, 22:57

Yeah, that's just it, on the website it says it is a gentle method and not pushy, but without buying the book or knowing someone who has done it, I'm not sure if that is true or if that's just sales jargon. But lots of people on a FB group (cloth diapering in my city) swear by it, so I don't know. I guess I could buy the book, but I don't really want to drop $30 for nothing. I guess it's not a popular book in the UK so probably my go-to forumites don't have much experience :)
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Jun 2015, 18:58

As a book, no, I haven't heard of it. I do know a lot of people who have done something similar though. Mostly, the feedback I've heard is that you stay in for a few days, go nappy-free and gently reinforce that the potty is the place to go. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't heard feedback from anyone about long-term issues or bonuses.
We did it, but I can't say it was an overnight success. She stayed in nappies for quite a while after. The three day weekend we spent at home did give her the words to communicate better about the need to potty, and to listen to her own body better.
With regards to the book, could you get it from the library rather than pay $30 for it?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby MamaKh » 21 Jun 2015, 03:57

Maybe it depends on wich book it is. I just put "3 day potty training" in Amazon and got 174 hits! After scrolling the first 2 pages it seemed to be all different books and authors!
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Return to The Bottom Line