And we're off!

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Re: And we're off!

Postby mamapup » 12 Jul 2015, 22:27

I thought that too. And it was, for a few days. Then I worked out how often he was actually going and could space.out a bit more.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lily » 13 Jul 2015, 16:00

Well, only one accident so far today. I've not been taking him very frequently, but have been making sure he goes straight after every drink, which I think is the key; the accident happened when I left it too long post-snack. He still isn't telling me but at least we are making some progress.

ETA after I posted this he promptly had another accident, but immediately came to tell me, so that was something. Then he actually told me he needed a wee just before bedtime. At last!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby yorkshirepudding » 13 Jul 2015, 20:46

We've been a bit on and off (literally, with the nappies) which probably isn't the best approach but is the only way it's going to happen with a newborn in tow!

I realise what a control freak I am when doing something like pt. I just think, if you know when you're weeing and you can do it on the potty, why have you now done it in the floor and stepped in it?! He came so proudly to tell me he'd done a poo - on the carpet. Which should actually be The Carpet because it's fil's posh one! It was a shame because I think he thought he'd get his present for pooing but I pointed out it wasn't on the potty, and he hasn't done one on the potty yet, only in nappies. Hit and miss (ha ha) with wees, few puddles on the floor, sometimes reluctant to even try but when I make him it's usually a big wee. Can hold it for quite a while but equally sometimes has an accident 2 mins after doing a few drips on the potty. Definitely haven't tried it out the house yet! And like you Lily, no telling me he's going to do one even though I promised 2 choc raisins for telling me! I feel a big relief when I put a nappy back on him like for nap time or going out, so I don't have to be rushing after him to check he's not weed somewhere!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby yorkshirepudding » 16 Jul 2015, 21:22

I think we're going to take a break from pt already! Poor Moo, he did 3 wees in the floor today, including 1 right after I asked him to go on the potty (right next to him), and I got cross. I apologised straight after but was still cross each time. I don't know if he doesn't know he needs to wee, and we've just been lucky catching some on the potty, or he just doesn't feel the need to do them on the potty, but sleep deprived mummy with a newborn is not fair on him, so we're stopping for now before I put him right off. If he asks to use it of course we will, and I might ask him to go on every nappy change which I didn't before. Hope others are doing a bit better!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Lily » 17 Jul 2015, 07:09

We're gradually getting there. Only one accident yesterday and one the day before. He still isn't telling us when he needs to go, but he does save up his wees till he's on the potty and is happy to have a go whenever we ask him to.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby bigcatmaniac » 17 Jul 2015, 20:51

I've gone back to pull ups in the last few days. Dd2 is now walking and trying to climb everything in sight. It was just getting too stressful to keep an eye on the baby and the toddler for cues. She's great at weeing if you put her on the potty now but still peeing everywhere and pooing her pants (at all different times of the day so no consistency) if you forget to ask or are distracted. She has started asking to go to the loo when we are out and sees other children going (a result of playgroup I think) - even when in pull ups- but when we are at home just pees everywhere. So I've gone back a step too I feel. Well - Nevermind. She 'll get there in the end.
bigcatmaniac

Postby LucyLastic » 03 Aug 2015, 00:01

I have never really pushed PT - I got a potty out when she was about one and a bit and just left it out. She played with it for ages, used it to carry stuff about, sat on it to look at herself in the mirror (her mirror image playmate). She has been changing her own nappy (!) after weeing (pullups so not as hard as it sounds) for a couple of weeks. I've asked her if she wanted to go and she always said no, then, all of a sudden, last Tuesday she decided it was time. She has used the potty for all wees and poos since then, apart from overnight and even then she has been using the toilet upstairs in the morning. She goes to nursery in pullups but has asked to use the potty the one time she has been since this started. We were out on Sat so I put her in a nappy and she asked for the loo. She gets a marble in a tin for each one and when the tin is full, she can choose a Playmobil figure (that sit tantalisingly on top of a bookshelf). I am hoping (but not expecting!) that she will just carry on, under her own steam, at her own pace. She is clearly beginning to recognise the need to pee/poo but my main concern is that she just keeps going - she'll go, then almost immediately want to go again then again a few minutes afterwards. I don't think it's an infection - I think she just likes her newly found skill. I only give her one marble for 'cluster wees' so as not to encourage her to strain in trying to force out a few drops. Does this all sound like it is going inthe right direction? To be completely honest, I haven't really done much research on PT - tales of accidents and refusal and tantrums put me off and I figured I'd deal with it when she showed an interest. Any advice on encouraging her/moving forward/things not to do? :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby yorkshirepudding » 05 Jan 2016, 21:49

Well we have started back again. I think he can hold it, knows when he's going, but won't leave fun playing to go! It was our decision not his to start again, mean old Santa brought him a toilet seat and pants! But when I asked him if he wanted pants or pull ups for nursery, he chose pants which surprised me. V reluctant to poo not standing up but has done a few on the potty after a few attempts. I find reading to him whilst sitting there just distracts him from the task, or should I be just keeping him happy on the toilet/ potty and read if he asks for it?

Reading your approach LL I wish I'd been that relaxed about it all, how did it progress since August? But at the same time, he was protesting about nappy changes too, so I felt justified in saying well we'll do pants then!
yorkshirepudding

Postby LucyLastic » 05 Jan 2016, 22:33

Can't really remember exactly, but certainly by the beginning September when we went on holiday she was in knickers during the day (unless we had a really long car journey somewhere). She still has Pampers pants at night but is brilliant in the daytime. She goes to the toilet by herself, wipes, washes her hands. I just help when it's number twos. She often wants company so I go and read with her. Hurrah for the Charlie & Lola magazines! We've had one accident when we'd been out to the shop after nursery and she fell asleep in the car so I left her there for a little while and she weed when she woke up. It was my fault for not giving her the opportunity to go before we went to the shop. She was really upset about it, though, so she knows she shouldn't be doing that anymore. I never really thought about PT, I just had a quick chat with a friend of mine, whose daughter is a couple of years older than C, who said "Don't stress about it, don't force it and she'll get it eventually". So I didn't and she did. I guess it was luck as much as anything and seeing others use the toilet at nursery. If there's one thing I've learnt from this forum, it's that they're all different, even those from the same parents, and they will do things in their own time and way. Which is of no help :-D
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 06 Jan 2016, 09:58

If it's any help, yp, I also found that reading or iPad just served as distractions in those early stages. Or maybe not distractions exactly, but incentives to take as long as possible. We moved away from entertainment whilst on the potty and started offering it as a reward afterwards instead.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby junglewonderland » 06 Jan 2016, 13:35

Just barging in on this thread. I think Koala is dry at night! We haven't had a wet nappy for about a week or so. It is so tempting to take him out of nappies at night but I'm scared he will regress when he starts school in Feb. Did anyone's kids regress with night training during big changes?
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Previous

Return to The Bottom Line