And we're off!

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Re: And we're off!

Postby bigcatmaniac » 06 Jun 2015, 08:05

How is Courgette getting on? We actually had a request to take her nappy off so she could have a wee on the potty a couple of days ago so I thought it might be clicking, but no - nothing since. She does now wee practically every time I put her on the potty but if I'm distracted doing something else and leave it a big too long, she still wets herself. Oh well - off to Costco to buy a van load more of kitchen roll and cleaning products!
bigcatmaniac

Postby Marrow » 06 Jun 2015, 19:57

Under top ten ways that you know PT isn't going brilliantly:

- hot wet feeling on your lap whilst watching I Can Cook is cause for much celebration
- ditto being woken half an hour before the gro clock by small child letting everyone know that she had pooed, two days in a row.

We had nothing but a smear of poo from nappy off time (Saturday morning) until early yesterday morning. Then another giant poo this morning. They were solid but not massively hard, and she's not getting any leakage or anything like that.

We're still encouraging her to sit on the potty, which she will with a bit of bribery / encouragement, but most of all we are encouraging her to wee. Anywhere. We don't care. We'd just rather she didn't try to hold it in for her next sleep, which is what she's doing at the moment - going from 8am ish to 1pm ish with no wee, then having accidents in the afternoon.

Any pearls of wisdom, anyone?
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby bigcatmaniac » 06 Jun 2015, 20:03

Sorry - none from me. I tried to post earlier from my phone to see how you were getting on - but it wouldn't let me. I thought we might have turned a corner this week as LO asked for her nappy off when we got home from playgroup because she wanted to wee on the potty. This is the first and only time this has happened. Normally, if I don't ask her to sit on there - she pees everywhere. As she did today! My LO held it in too to begin with by now she will pretty much wee every time I ask her to sit on the potty. Two wees only in 13 hours for us in the first few days - and she drinks loads. When she did go, it was like watching a horse wee - there was that much of it! Hopefully should get better. But watching other's responses with interest seeing as we cannot get beyond this to her actually realising herself she needs to go.

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby Kitcameron » 06 Jun 2015, 20:25

No pearls I'm afraid

SM seemed to be doing really well but now has accidents galore at home and one at the pub today too. Thinking of buying her a magazine to read on the toilet to encourage her to tell us she needs to go coz I know she can coz she does when we're at friends houses but I'm worried this will backfire and I'll never get her off the loo again lol
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby LucyLastic » 07 Jun 2015, 13:10

I stuck the potty outside yesterday and put C in a 2 piece swimming cossie (had little paddling pool out) and after a little accident on the kitchen floor, she did a massive wee on the potty outside. So proud!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jun 2015, 17:04

Great C and LL. we started SM last summer in the garden but I didn't think she was ready to go the whole hog until this year so we had a bit of a break over winter and only used the potty when she was naked, eg bath times.
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 07 Jun 2015, 19:45

We're starting too. Terrible timing - Bee is 8 weeks old - but Izbiz finally decided to go for it, and the last thing I wanted to do was put him off. Still in nappies but he's been sitting on the potty occasionally (mostly with iPad) for a few days, and I think he's getting the idea. He gets a sticker for sitting a reasonable length of time, and a miniature toy if anything results - today he managed 3 toys, which I was quite impressed with. No dirty nappies at home since Tuesday, though not sure about nursery on Thurs and Fri. But so far catching wees is a matter of luck, really - "I need a wee" seems to mean "I am currently weeing", then he insists on sitting on the potty even though he's clearly just emptied his bladder into the nappy.

Next challenge is to persuade him to try the pants. He is dead set against it and I'm not sure whether to push it or let him make the decision. Will probably give it till next weekend before I force the issue.

On another note, I love Bing and actually think I quite fancy Flop. He is the parent I wish I could be. I read a sweet interview with Rylance talking about how it was a meditation on loving parenting, and how recording it made him think back and wish he'd been able to bring up his kids like that.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 08 Jun 2015, 23:33

I watched the 'Smoothie' episode of Bing this evening (with C!) and I actually laughed out loud at it. Someone punch me in the face.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 09 Jun 2015, 06:21

We were doing really well yesterday morning - 3 wees and a poo on the potty, and nappy still dry at lunchtime. But now he has broken his arm so I have no idea how he will feel about carrying on. It might be good if he feels up to it, since we'll be at home so much more anyway.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Marrow » 10 Jun 2015, 19:04

Hope you're all doing OK, Lily. A friend of mine recently did chicken pox potty trying pretty successfully.

Today, we had a poo in her nappy at 7am, then no wee from nappy off at 8am until nap at 12:30, then no wee from nappy off at 2:30pm until 7:30pm. She was clearly very uncomfortable, and did a dribble of poo in the potty, so we put a pre-bath nappy in for ten minutes and unsurprisingly a giant wee went in the nappy.

We're contemplating nappies on request to wee in. Any thoughts? It can't be good for her to hold it in for that long.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 10 Jun 2015, 19:17

Sounds a little bit like a step backwards to me, or at least not forwards, but you know her better than I do, obviously.

I suppose on the one had it being uncomfortable could motivate her to start using the potty or it could lead to medical issues. Would she be happier using the toilet instead of a potty? SM started using the potty last summer and has used it sporadically when naked for a year but not when clothed but when we started again this year we essentially went straight to toilet training instead of the potty as that seemed to be what she wanted. We let her choose a toilet seat and then she was off. She has periods of major regression and she will use a potty when necessary but maybe that would help Courgette.
Kitcameron

Postby bigcatmaniac » 10 Jun 2015, 19:29

I'm using the iPad to totally distract my LO while on the potty and trying to get her to sit on and read a book / tell a story / play a game etc was just not keeping her on there long enough for anything to happen. She now goes quite quickly when I put her on after a lot of holding it in at the start. But she's still not 'got it'. I didn't want to go back to nappies properly as I thought it might set her back (after a couple of previous attempts). I had to give jelly sweets after this to even get her to sit, and now the iPad to keep her there. Now she knows what to expect I'm not giving sweets but other treats, every 5 wees. I'm now using pull ups when we go put too as I didn't want to go back to the same old.

Is she staying on for a while but not doing anything? Or just not staying on and relaxing yet?

Bigcat x
bigcatmaniac

Postby Lily » 10 Jun 2015, 19:45

We've had a similar transition, bigcat - to start with, Izbiz would sit for ages with the iPad before anything happened, if indeed anything did happen at all. Now he's got the hang of it the wee arrives as soon as he sits down, before I've had time to fetch the iPad. Spending enough time sitting on the potty to relax and learn that it's ok was definitely the key step. He's still in nappies full time, though, so it remains to be seen how he'll react when we make the move to pants and there's more of a consequence to accidents.

I'm wondering how to transition away from rewards. At home he's totally dry now, but he won't even make the attempt when we're out - he just uses his nappy (and irritatingly insists on being changed immediately, even after the tiniest wee). I think it might be partly because the jar of treats is at home, so there's no visible incentive when we're elsewhere. Ah well, one step at a time eh?
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kitcameron » 10 Jun 2015, 20:46

SM was like that as well Lily, the one time I did try her without a nappy last year she just had accidents everywhere so I decided she wasn't really ready. This time round though she now doesn't like being wet, do you think if you did take him out and he had a few accidents he'd realise he didn't like being wet either, not while his arms in pot maybe but once you're over that hurdle.
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 11 Jun 2015, 06:42

Yes that sounds sensible kc. I had the same thought about maybe moving to pants once the cast is off. He definitely doesn't like being wet!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

PreviousNext

Return to The Bottom Line