I think we're starting...

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

I think we're starting...

Postby Cofa's Tree » 13 May 2015, 07:50

Daniel turned 3 on Saturday and about a week ago he declared he wasn't going to wear nappies any more. We marked this coming weekend as 'pants weekend' where he was going to try pants and the potty, but he decided last night after nursery that he wanted pants. I went with it for a hour or two before bed-time, and we had three wees in the potty, all at his instigation rather than me having to ask if he needed a wee.

And I didn't think he had the slightest inkling when he was weeing, so I think, as per his nature in general, he was just waiting until he felt in control instead of practicing as he goes!

Nappy back on over-night, but we're going with pants in a minute for a trip to Grandma and Grandad's!
Cofa's Tree

Re: I think we're starting...

Postby pirate_han » 13 May 2015, 08:58

B is very much like that too, and we got through it with only one accident. Good luck! Go Daniel!
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Kanga » 13 May 2015, 09:37

That also sounds very much like my ds. He got out of the bath one night & went off then came back & told is he'd done a wee in the potty. We had another couple of evening like that & decided we better take the plunge & he got the hang of it with tin a couple of days. I was amazed!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 13 May 2015, 11:21

Yey, go Daniel. Great that he took the initiative and now you won't have to be getting down on the floor to change nappies when heavily pregnant.

We've just pt-ed too and I think SM might be night training too. Going to get her some pull ups and if she keeps them dry she can go completely nappy free. Just wish I could take the baby gate off her door so she could take herself to the loo in the night up necessary rather than having to shout for me but she'd just escape at bedtimes if I did that.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby bigcatmaniac » 14 May 2015, 20:07

After trying a couple of times since Xmas my LO just wasn't getting it - lots of accidents and lots of changes at home (starting playgroup, me going back to work, settling in with new nanny etc) so we decided to leave it. Two days ago she decided she doesn't want nappies anymore - is wearing pants but is having an absolute hissy fit if you take her to the loo, or move the potty near her, or ask if she needs a wee. She's been holding it in all day today - 2 wees only in 13 hours despite drinking her normal amount of fluids. Refuses to put a nappy back on. Not sure what to do now ....
bigcatmaniac

Postby Cofa's Tree » 15 May 2015, 06:16

We've faltered slightly after the great start - mainly cos grandma and grandad were too pushy about him getting on the potty and he felt pressured so retreated to pull-ups...grrr. Then he didn't want pants at nursery yesterday but we're going for it again today and this weekend!

Oh bcm, that doesn't sound good. Are you able to reason with her ie tell her it's her choice but she has to use the potty/toilet or the nappy goes back on? Buy some stickers to decorate the potty so she feels it's hers?
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 15 May 2015, 06:30

Bigcat, the puppy did that. We resorted to a) telling him he had no choice and b) bribing him! One mandm for going and one for weeing. Took a week before he broke and became cooperative. Helps that they quickly don't like being wet.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby bigcatmaniac » 15 May 2015, 19:41

I have stickers and small treats (craft stuff etc) to give her of she gets 5 stickers on her chart but she's not interested in the slightest in them. Started giving her 1 sticker for a wee and 2 for a poo. Now will give her a sticker if she sits on the loo but she won't. Have resisted so far giving her sweets as a reward but might have to resort to that seeing as stickers are not doing it. Today she stripped off her pj's, nappy etc as soon as she woke so I got her dressed in pants. She stripped off again as she wanted to dress herself. But I was at work today so nanny came in and took over. She managed to get her in a nappy so they could go out. I've bought some pull ups today to try those tomorrow. Thanks. X
bigcatmaniac

Postby Cofa's Tree » 06 Jul 2015, 06:34

I thought we were off at the start of this thread, but we've got nowhere. The first attempt started well but then a stomach bug put a stop to that and then we've had a period of being away a lot so it was difficult to find a new starting point. We tried the weekend before last, but it was doomed from the start - I was telling him we were going to give it a go, and although he has happy enough, it wasn't at his instigation.

He just doesn't seem to have any clue when he needs a wee or is actually doing a wee. I've tried putting him on the potty/toilet from a few minutes or for up to 20 mins every half hour/hour (reading books, having a chat, looking at iPad), but nothing is coming out. And within five minutes of coming off the potty/toilet, he's weeing himself. And he gets so upset when he does (wee himself). He'll start saying 'Mummy, I'm leaking' in a really urgent, upset voice and then start sobbing, almost bordering on hysterical tears. He's quite a controlled little man, and I think he really hates the lack of control. I've tried explaining it's ok to leak, that I'm expecting it to begin with and it's all part of learning, but the upset at weeing isn't lessening. And he's getting more anxious about it, even now when he's back in pull-ups - checking with me that he does has a pull-up on and asking several times for confirmation that he won't leak.

The worst bit was about five minutes after having been cleaned up, changed, hugged and reassured that it was all part of learning, he was looking really downcast then came over to me, pressed into me for a really big hug, then whispered 'I'm so sorry Mummy' on the verge of tears. It just broke my heart :( .

I don't want pt turning into such a big issue for him, so we're back to pull-ups, and we're just reinforcing that he needs to think about it and when he says he's ready to try again, we'll give it another go.

Feel helpless to help him..but I just feel that as per his cautious, controlled nature, he needs to wait until he can control the situation, which he can't at the moment. :(
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 06 Jul 2015, 06:58

I'm so sorry it's hard. The puppy was a bit like this at the beginning. I felt as if we were always on the loo and then having accidents immediately after. It took about a week to get anywhere with wees. Poos took a lot longer. If he's willing to keep going then I suspect you could be through the hardest part.

Good luck.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 06 Jul 2015, 17:33

Oh, poor Daniel. SM says she's leaked as well when she has an accident, I don't know where she's got that from. Nursery probably lol. Is he around other children using potties regularly, that might help. I'm not saying you try and encourage him but If he's regularly around other kids maybe he'll decide he wants to give it another go. My friend was really anxious about her son needing a poo cos he hadn't had one all day and she was just waiting for it to be in his pants but we made a big deal of SM when she had a poo on the loo and half an hour later he ran into the house shouting "poooooooooooo" at the top of his voice lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 06 Jul 2015, 18:36

Oh poor love. No constructive advice I'm afraid - our issues have been a bit different (although we've also had an interrupted start and are just getting going again now). It's hard coping with perfectionism isn't it?
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Cofa's Tree » 06 Jul 2015, 19:26

Lily wrote:It's hard coping with perfectionism isn't it?

It certainly is :( ...but he had a stay and play session at his village pre-school today and I spoke to his teacher who said, don't worry, plenty of children start still in pull-ups, it's fine...I could have cried with relief. So, the imposed deadline of Sept is no longer looming and I'm just going to keep encouraging but let him set the pace. Phew!
Cofa's Tree

Postby Lily » 07 Jul 2015, 10:08

I was thinking about this overnight, CT, and I wondered if you'd tried training pants? The kind with a waterproof layer sandwiched between two layers of jersey. They don't totally prevent leaks, but they do absorb enough to make accidents much less dramatic, and they look and feel like pants rather than nappies. Maybe a few days in those would be enough to help him over the hump? We've got some from JoJo but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere too.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Cofa's Tree » 07 Jul 2015, 19:35

Thanks Lily, I've not come across them before to be honest, but just having a Google and they could be worth a try...thanks :)
Cofa's Tree

Next

Return to The Bottom Line