Leaking every night...

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Leaking every night...

Postby StJuniper » 07 May 2015, 11:33

Do you limit your children's water consumption at all? R and P both have sippy cups available all day which they also take to bed with them, but lately R has woken up with wet clothes almost every morning. One morning his diaper was so full it had exploded and got nasty diaper jelly kernels all over. I've moved him up from a size 4 to a 5 at night but it's still leaking at it's getting pretty old changing sheets and washing PJs every single day!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Re: Leaking every night...

Postby mamapup » 07 May 2015, 11:55

We put the puppy in a size six to deal with this (and he's skinny and tall). It seems to be helping. He has water by his bed, I have no idea if he drinks it or not in the night but he has been known to come and tell me he's thirsty and then drink all of my water (grrr). We stopped him having a whole cup of milk at bedtime because of this too but I suspect you're not ready to do that with R yet.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby pirate_han » 07 May 2015, 12:12

B has a drink available all day while at home (she's at nursery for three hours and gets 1 drink while there) but tends to stop drinking by 6pm-ish. She has her last drink with dinner and then brushes her teeth at 6ish. Water is available after teeth-brushing but I've never seen her drink it, and she never drinks overnight. She's dry at night now but this is only since she stopped having a drink of milk before bed (she had it in a bottle and when we removed the bottle she no longer wanted it).
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby catkin » 07 May 2015, 12:18

We don't limit it but they have to come and ask for it. The only time we kind of limited was when mouse was PT, we switched from offering milk to water at bedtime which resulted in him drinking a lot less at that time. He was 3.5 though so bit different.

Any idea when in the night he's wetting? Could you try doing a stealth change when you go to bed if the nappy's wet by then, or whisking him onto the potty first thing before he pees?
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby StJuniper » 08 May 2015, 11:54

Starting in March, R refused point-blank to nurse anytime but first thing in the morning. I give him cow's milk pretty often after his daytime naps, but he has none after dinner. He drinks his cup dry every night; P doesn't usually drink his water overnight but R definitely does.

I'm not sure when he wets but he usually wakes at 7:15 for the day and it's often cold damp by then. Waking him for a change at 10:30 would probably help...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 11 May 2015, 21:59

I seem to remember reading a suggestion somewhere that you put an absorbent liner - the type that go inside cloth nappies - inside disposables for extra absorbency at night. It would mean that you'd have to wash the reusable liners, but at least you wouldn't have to do the whole bed!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Treeb » 11 May 2015, 22:20

Have you tried the diapers marketed as night time diapers? (We actually found they leaked more for L because the fit wasn't right for him, but it might be worth a try it you haven't tried them.)

I've also heard of people putting two diapers on their child, one over the other, so the outer diaper catches any overflow from the first. I guess you might use a bigger size for the outer one, or it might work to use the same size just put on more loosely.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kanga » 12 May 2015, 00:24

My ds1 went through a phase of needing a disposable with a terry square over the top to absorb extra leaks.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Return to The Bottom Line