Toilet roll tips?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Toilet roll tips?

Postby Kitcameron » 04 May 2015, 18:48

So, SM is just about PT and she's adamant that she needs to go by herself. She tells us when she needs the toilet and we just open the baby gate and let her get on with it. Only problem is toilet roll and wiping. shes not very good at just using a small amount of toilet roll. Why use two pieces when 6 work just as well. Any tips? I'm thinking if getting a box of tissues and just telling her just to use one for wees and shout us for poos but I dunno. Any suggestions oh wise ones?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Toilet roll tips?

Postby DandelionFrosting » 04 May 2015, 23:53

I like the tissues idea -- I might try that! We still use wipes for poo and I put a little tiny garbage can next to the potty for him to put them in because he refuses to call me and I can't be bothered to clean up a whole roll of toilet paper all over the bathroom. Im trying to teach him, though. I've seen that some people tape a line on the wall under the toilet paper dispenser and tell their kids to only pull it down to there. I tell Saurus to unroll it until the end touches the floor and stop. (It's a little much, I guess, but easy to enforce anywhere). Our problem is that he doesn't know how to tear it off; he just pulls it down, which of course just unrolls more and more toilet paper. I've been telling him to put one hand on the roll to stop it, but so far he hasn't caught on.

I have heard that it's not good to flush tissues down the toilet, though. Could you pre-tear some toilet paper? Or have a special garbage can for them?
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Kitcameron » 05 May 2015, 06:37

Yeah, my thinking was that I'd fill the tissue box up with pre torn toilet roll as that's what she struggles with too, tearing it. But what to do with the tissues first lol? I suppose I just take them all out and put them in a different box.
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 05 May 2015, 11:18

Kitcameron wrote:Yeah, my thinking was that I'd fill the tissue box up with pre torn toilet roll as that's what she struggles with too, tearing it. But what to do with the tissues first lol? I suppose I just take them all out and put them in a different box.

Can't you just let the little one get at it? R regularly empties ours and scatters them to the four winds! ;)
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 05 May 2015, 14:09

It hadn't even occurred to me to let the puppy near the loo roll! I hand him a piece to dab his willy and we wipe his bum for him With wipes. Should we be leletting him do it?

Little Croc.is available for loan if you need a baby to tear loo roll for you. She's fab at pulling it off and wiping bottoms (through clothes) and when I'm on the loo, my pants for some reason.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby DandelionFrosting » 06 May 2015, 00:02

MP, we wiped Saurus's for over a year -- no rush, I'd say! I'd still wipe it, except that he's suddenly started doing it in stealth.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Kanga » 06 May 2015, 06:26

I feel like we also wiped dd for quite a while but she trained just after 3 & started school just after 4 so I guess she learned to wipe within a year!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby BLTMama » 06 May 2015, 15:48

Still wiping Badger, two years after training. She has no interest in doing it herself. But I am beginning to worry a bit about her starting full-time school in the fall... :?
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Raktajino » 06 May 2015, 16:34

This thread prompted me to suggest to DD she could wipe herself... oh dear, poo on her hands, legs and the floor.... millions of wipes used... yay poo!
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby Kitcameron » 08 May 2015, 17:22

They encourage her to do it herself at nursery and she now wants to go to the loo on her own (and if she's able to that's more convenient for me lol) so I don't mind too much, we're just going through a tonne of loo roll this way so need to sort that issue a bit. When she goes in the morning I try to keep more of an eye on what she's doing as she's a regular 'poo in the morning' kid, but once she's done one I relax as she usually only goes once a day. I usually ask her if she needs a wee or a poo before she goes as well and then try and catch her to wipe before she pulls her pants up.
Kitcameron

Postby Kitcameron » 10 May 2015, 14:17

Just thought I'd let you know we've gotten round the issue of using loads of loo roll by just tearing it off in advance and leaving some in an old margarine tub. In the end I decided that bless I was going to food it all together properly so a new piece pulled up as the old piece came out (like a box of tissues of packet of wipes) then there was no point using a tissue box, and I haven't got that much free time o. my hands lol
Kitcameron

Return to The Bottom Line