newly trained...

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

newly trained...

Postby mamapup » 05 Mar 2015, 19:56

The puppy is totally great about the loo now but this week we have a new discovery. Sometimes when out he can need to wee or poo and and not be able to hold it long enough to get to a loo. Yesterday he needed a wee on the way home from nursery. He'd tried to go before we left and failed. He told me he needed a wee so we zoomed back to nursery as we weren't far away but he couldn't hold it. Today in the park with MrC the loos were closed so mrC managed to get him to poo on the grass and then cleared it up but on the street that wouldn't work.

Any tips? We have never used a potty and I can't imagine carrying one on top of everything else we have to carry. He isn't keen to wee standing up, he says that's for when he's bigger. We are going to get him to practice in the garden though.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: newly trained...

Postby Raktajino » 05 Mar 2015, 20:22

It won't be long before he can hold on for the 10 min or so you need to find him a loo, or conveient bush. In the meantime can you borrow or buy at travel potty? The kind that folds up?
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby issi » 05 Mar 2015, 21:46

Pottettes are awesome. Ds1 had a small bladder for his age and could often give us no warning until he was 5.5yrs old so it's been a great investment for us!
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby emzit » 05 Mar 2015, 22:24

We used the potette potty as well until muncher got the hang of standing up wees. I think we only had a few poos in it but it was totally worth carrying around. It didn't take long for him to not need it but while he did it was perfect.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Lioncub's mama » 06 Mar 2015, 10:15

we had a potette too - lioncub loved it! in fact it was one of the things that inspired him to finally give up nappies in the first place. You probably wouldn't use one for long - but then you could use it again with little croc so might be a worthwhile investment?
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby issi » 06 Mar 2015, 10:30

The pottette is so awesome because it also folds out into a toilet seat which is great if you have small-bottomed kids like mine!
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby mamapup » 06 Mar 2015, 10:38

We clearly need one of these! Very small bottoms in this house. We hadn't bought a potty because cheese only uses the loo and has never once done anything on a potty but needs must I feel.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby EnigmaFish » 06 Mar 2015, 23:57

We carried an ikea plastic potty in the boot of the car for ages, stored in a canvas bag. If she needed to go and we weren't near a toilet, the potty was placed on the side of the road or in the grass for a quick use. Several times, she even used it sitting in the boot of the car or balanced on the driver's seat!
The potette thing sounds pretty cool, but if you are driving around then a regular potty would do the trick, too.
Hooray for the puppy getting this far!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby mamapup » 07 Mar 2015, 09:05

Plan was to get a potty for the car but we use the car so infrequently that we haven't even managed that yet. Whoops.

mamapup

Postby DandelionFrosting » 07 Mar 2015, 11:39

He'll get better quickly. But in the mean time, for out walking . . . Would it be too weird to carry a big rain poncho or something to put around him for privacy? As long as it's just pee, I don't think it's too bad to discretely leave a small puddle next to a light pole or something. After all, dogs do it! And toddler pee doesn't smell nearly as bad as dog pee. It's just the matter of being seen in the process. If he can pee squatting it might just look like he was bending down to pick up a rock or something (assuming he keeps his mouth shut! ;) ).
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 08 Mar 2015, 11:20

Pottete recommendation here too!!! V small and easy to carry/have in the car!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby busmother » 09 Mar 2015, 10:41

I carried a potty around in the buggy for years, it felt like. But when I didn't have it, would balance them over a drain, and also had a stash of nappy bags (or any plastic bag) so if they did a poo (again, just holding them up in a discreet corner), I could just scoop it up and bin it like a dog poo. We were pretty much out and about all day and not always near a loo until they started nursery at 3 1/2 so we couldn't have managed otherwise.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Return to The Bottom Line