When to start?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

When to start?

Postby lizandimo » 21 Jan 2015, 03:04

It's been on my mind for a couple months that I would like for DD to toilet train soon but I'm pretty sure she isn't ready yet. This week FIL made a comment implying that I should have started her already and it doesn't matter if she doesn't tell me when she needs to go (it seems he thinks no child does when they start potty training). So then how am I supposed to do this?! I kind of assumed I would wait until she could tell me when she needs to go otherwise aren't I just asking for loads of accidents and stress? Or is that just how it goes? Now I feel like maybe I'm just being lazy not starting yet.

I know this is the next big thing I need to do with DD (well that and giving up the dummy), and it's starting to stress me out!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Re: When to start?

Postby StJuniper » 21 Jan 2015, 12:15

Well, I think being in diapers for so long, children kind of lose their awareness of their need to go; when I took P out of diapers the first time at about 20 months, he did tons of tiny pees, like every ten minutes. After about four days of being diaper free, he had gained a lot more awareness and was able to hold his pees until he had a respectable amount to do. However, he still wouldn't tell me he needed to go. He didn't begin to until the last couple of months, at more than 2 1/2. So for us the answer to your question is kind of yes and no. P needed a boost to be more aware of his elimination habits, but starting before he was ready to tell me (or take himself) was just a recipe for extra laundry.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 21 Jan 2015, 15:43

Have you sat her on the potty at all? We started by keeping L in diapers but then just sitting him on the potty every time we did a diaper change. Didn't go into underwear until he pretty much had the idea and was keeping his diapers mostly dry.

He's been in underwear now for four months but still needs reminders to go. He only occasionally tells us when he needs to go.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mamapup » 21 Jan 2015, 19:55

The puppy has finally asked to wear his pants (on a nursery day)..and we said no as we hadn't talked to nursery. Spoke to them today and they said to go for it evem of we don't think he knows when he needs to wee yet. So they seem to think it's fine to start whenever!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby lizandimo » 22 Jan 2015, 03:52

Thanks for the replies - seems maybe I should just get on with it then! I think mostly I'm stressed out because I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have been having her sit on the toilet, mostly before her bath (we have one of those flip down smaller seats attached to the regular seat) and if I ask her to wee she's started doing this weird thing like she's sucking her belly in and out, but mostly she just wants to sit there for 5 seconds and then be given some toilet paper to flush down the toilet. We're trying to avoid having to use a potty because we have a very gross dog who has already eaten a poo out of a nappy so I'd rather not be worrying about her getting into the potty if I don't notice it's been used!

StJuniper wrote:Well, I think being in diapers for so long, children kind of lose their awareness of their need to go

This is interesting, I'd never really thought of that before but it makes sense.

Oh man, I'm so dreading this!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby emzit » 22 Jan 2015, 05:03

She's still pretty young, if it were me I'd wait until she shows some interest. Talk to her about undies, shopping trip to choose some, get her used to the idea and tell her she can start when she's ready. We could have got muncher into pants earlier if we'd tried but we didn't want the battle so we waited till he asked - around 2y9mo ish I think. He did two days of refusing to sit on the potty or toilet, whether taking himself, telling us he needed to go, being asked if he needed or told to sit on it. Just before lunch on day 3 as DH and I were despairing he ran to the potty saying 'I'm doing a wee!' and that was it. No more accidents. They are pretty rare even now.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby lizandimo » 23 Jan 2015, 05:02

That's really reassuring, that it can happen relatively easily. She was looking at pants while we were shopping the other day, I should have taken the opportunity to talk to her about it, but we were in a hurry. She's not talking much still, so she wouldn't be able to communicate with me about her thoughts on the whole idea, I'm limited to asking questions and getting a head nod or a no. Maybe I'll try sitting her on the toilet more and see how into it she is, and maybe get some pants ready.

What are peoples opinions on pull-ups? They seem super expensive and won't she then just use them as if they were a nappy?
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby emzit » 23 Jan 2015, 08:33

Muncher was in pull ups as a nappy for ages as he was such a little wiggler we gave up on normal ones but tried him on training pants, disposables and cloth but total failure. He just weed in them and wasn't bothered that it was a bit wet.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Return to The Bottom Line