Elimination Communication update

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Elimination Communication update

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 03 Jan 2015, 19:06

I know there's a few of us around who do this to varying degrees so I thought I'd see how everyone was doing / compare experiences.

I've put Baby Girl on the potty / toilet between changes / morning / bedtime / before bath since she could sit up unaided. To start with she'd often do a lot of wees and I got most of her poos on the potty. However, after a while she's not been that interested in the day - probably coincided with when she started crawling now I think about it so much more interesting things to do / places to go. I've pretty much stopped bothering a lot of the normal nappy changes now. She also stealth-poos so I never catch many anymore. Anyone else had this after a good start? Was there a return of interest at some point?

She has however often been dry overnight (and given how much she wakes / feeds that's saying something!) for some months which has amazed me. It seems that if she does a wee at bedtime after feeding she'll be dry overnight as long as I get her to the potty after her final wake up feed. She then does a massive wee! If she doesn't do the bedtime wee and I miss the first wee then she'll often soak through her nappy (cloth, boosted!) and sleep sack!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: Elimination Communication update

Postby catkin » 03 Jan 2015, 20:30

We certainly had ups and downs, tho I think more with pees than poos - I don't remember any times of consistent poo misses, though that may be rose tinted spectacles. We did keep trying through, treated each day as a new start and it would pick up again.

And yes, hamster was also dry at night from around 1, also despite feeding in the night. I did suspect this was to do with the EC'ing, so v interesting to hear you've had the same. Epic morning pees! We kept her in pullups at night until she was daytime PT-ed at 2.3 but they were always dry.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 03 Jan 2015, 21:25

Very interesting on the nights. And yes, epic morning pee is definitely right here!
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Brigitte » 04 Jan 2015, 07:23

I've always been super casual about EC, generally only starting it after a couple of month, and still mostly relying on diapers. I have found that both of my kids hit their peak interest/success at around 9 months of age, and then by their first birthday both have completely lost interest. I guess I'm not hardcore enough! Although I do know one other child who was EC'd quite faithfully and who also lost all interest around age 1.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby DandelionFrosting » 04 Jan 2015, 14:47

Here too. There was a time when I was tromping around gleefully with a baby in training pants thinking, "Hah! Who needs diapers?" And then she learned to crawl . . . and walk . . . and now when I put her on the toilet she just tries to reach down and splash in the water and pees in her diaper five minutes later. For a while between crawling and walking she was still cooperating at night, but now even that is gone. It's really annoying, too, because she holds it all night and wakes up crying exactly two hours before she's done sleeping, and I KNOW that she has to pee and the instant she pees she'll go right back to sleep, but putting her on the toilet just wakes her up more. So I feed her back to to sleep and she wakes up exactly 45 minutes later and still has to pee, and I end up chucking her out of bed and waiting for her to crawl off and pee in her diaper so I can change it. AND the stealth poo . . . . I'm counting down the months until it's warm enough to go naked again. I hate diapers so much now!

On the other hand, it is awfully cute how every time she pees in her diaper, she goes and gets a cloth and pretends to wipe the floor.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby EnigmaFish » 05 Jan 2015, 20:17

It's interesting to hear you guys say that. I always thought that Kleintje stopped using the potty when she started at the crèche (since they didn't have toilet facilities in that room) but it did also happen to be when she became mobile. Maybe it was nothing to do with the crèche after all.
So here's a question then: Newt has just started sitting. Given the chance, would you do it again? Should I bother with putting Newt on the potty at every nappy change, even if I'm only going to get a few good months out of her?
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby catkin » 06 Jan 2015, 00:40

For us, yes, definitely. Whatever happens later a pooey nappy saved is a pooey nappy saved!
catkin

Postby DandelionFrosting » 06 Jan 2015, 12:11

I've heard a lot of people say that even when they are missing all the pees, their babies still cooperate for poo. (Are you listening, Zilla?!) For me it would be worth it just for the chance of that. If I ever did it again, I would probably not worry so much about catching pees unless she made it obvious she wanted them caught (like in the middle of the night, when she used to fall asleep sitting on the toilet the instant she finished) and just go for the poo. It's SO much less gross when it's not all squashed and sat on . . . .
DandelionFrosting

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 07 Jan 2015, 12:44

Yeah, I'd definitely do again. I think it must teach them to wee like we do (i.e. bigger ones less often) so that's got to be useful. Also, I've kind of enjoyed it [sad person emoticon!] - it was something interesting to do / achieve when you're not really achieving that much else! Plus what CK said re poo-ey nappies. I am hoping she'll get back to it once she's got over how cool being mobile is.
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby EnigmaFish » 07 Jan 2015, 13:12

Thanks, ladies, good to know! And whilst I agree that the poo is much easier to clean up after the potty, did you not find it a little bit creepy the first time they pooed in the potty? I just remember with Kleintje being a bit surprised at how big and grown up it looked.
I'm off to the pound shop to find a cheap little potty like the one Kleintje used! Since Newt's sitting up now, we may as well get started.
EnigmaFish

Postby catkin » 07 Jan 2015, 19:50

Bf baby poos in a potty were really weird. But much more pleasant than same in nappy and all over babygro.
catkin

Postby DandelionFrosting » 08 Jan 2015, 00:01

I'm with you, CK! I found it kind of hilarious when it made a neat little spiral-shaped pile, like cartoon poo only bright yellow. Obnoxiously sticky and hard to get out, though! Like yellow toothpaste. The potty holds still while being wiped much better than the baby, though!
DandelionFrosting

Postby EnigmaFish » 08 Jan 2015, 00:16

Ah, Kleintje didn't start pottying until after she was well established with solids, so she was already having creepy grownup poos. However, if infant pottying means one less babygro full of breastmilk poo, I'm there.
EnigmaFish

Postby Monochrome » 23 Feb 2015, 10:59

Hi, I thought I'd join this conversation as I put my LO on the potty (although I never knew it was called "Elimination Communication"). I started holding him above the potty at every change from about six weeks, which saved me from being treated to a fountain at every change, and I've done it ever since. For me it just makes sense to put him on the potty when I change him, because if I wore nappies I would want to empty my bladder before putting a clean one on!

He's now 1y1m old and does most poos in the potty but still wees a lot in the nappy. Frustratingly nursery won't do it, but I decided not to make a fuss because I'd rather pick my battles and persuade them not to spoon feed him. They also won't use his cloth nappies, but in a way it's a relief not to have to wash pooey nappies. I think he's got less reliable at pooing and weeing in the potty since starting nursery, but as someone says above it could be to do with excitement and distraction.

So I would definitely do it again because it just seems normal and makes sense to me and it would feel strange not doing it. I'm not in a massive rush to get him potty trained but hoping that when the time comes to take him out of nappies it will be a more natural transition than the usual method.
Monochrome

Postby oriel » 23 Feb 2015, 12:36

Zoe is very reliable for poos but quite hit and miss (pun intended) for pees. Saturday was her first full dry day, but we often have this sort of conversation:

'Do you need to do a pee?'
'No'

'I think you do need to do a pee. Shall we go to the potty?'
'No'

'Come on, let's try to do a pee on the potty. Pants off!'
'No. On!'
'Ok, I'm not going to force you…'
[30 seconds later]
'Oh! Pee.'

She doesn't pee in her sleep, but since she's still feeding at night she can't usually last all night. She doesn't like to wake up enough to get out of bed and go to the potty, so usually I end up taking off her nappy after she's peed in it (and leaving her naked-bottomed for the rest of the night, which is almost always fine).

Nursery are very good at offering the toilet and she's getting better at accepting! Today she wanted to wear pants, so I've let her and we'll see how it goes.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Return to The Bottom Line