Oh Crap, Potty Training

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Oh Crap, Potty Training

Postby Biddy » 14 Mar 2012, 21:00

Has anyone heard of this person or read her book: http://ohcrappottytraining.com/blog/the-book/?ap_id=ECSimplified

I was browsing EC info when I saw the potty training stuff and wondered if anyone could shed some light on her technique. I'm not willing to pay $37 to find out if it's for me or not! Her EC book is supposed to be good. She sounds very sure of herself...sort of irritatingly so :) I was just about to launch into some full-on potty training with sticker charts etc but now i'm wondering if there's another way...
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Another little squish on board - due Sept
Biddy

Re: Oh Crap, Potty Training

Postby AwayinaChive » 14 Mar 2012, 21:10

I don't know what you could say in a whole book about it. I just sit my babies on the toilet a few times a day from about 12 months or earlier, and let them run around nakey bottomed, and they soon learn what peeing and pooing feels like and tell me when they need to go! Maybe it's just my kids, but I don't know what you could put in a whole book! I hope I don't sound irritatingly sure of myself now!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby KateGladTidings » 14 Mar 2012, 21:20

Biddy, this is so weird. I just posted about this on the uncensored fbook thread. Basically, her website made me feel like I should either pay $37 or give up mothering now. It made me feel insanely guilty. For that reason, I don't think I'll be paying her....guilt is not a good start!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby KateGladTidings » 14 Mar 2012, 21:21

This is what I just wrote:

Kate....needs a kicking. I clicked on this link because I liked the name of her potty training book and am now feeling insanely guilty that we haven't potty trained Roo yet. Certain phrases from her introductory video are lingering with me ("training a 3 year old is not fun or dignified" "sitting in poop - now that's undignified" "don't wait till your baby's ready - train when YOU are ready"). We've been putting it off till Roo was ready and apparantly this is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Now, I need a kicking to help me remember two simple facts:
1) This person has a product to sell
2) 33.5 weeks pg is NOT the time to be worrying about potty training.

I'm just scared to rock the boat with Roo. He seems contented at the moment - eating more, language coming on a LOT, suddenly walking fantastically long distances while holding my hand - and his little world is about to be rocked in a major way anyway. Why the frick am I even considering whipping away his nappies at the same time? I have a year off after the baby. That would be the logical time to do it. Not now, heavily pregnant.

Someone, kick me. Please.

KateGladTidings

Postby AwayinaChive » 14 Mar 2012, 21:38

Kick!!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby KateGladTidings » 14 Mar 2012, 21:54

Thanks Ives ;)

KateGladTidings

Postby Biddy » 14 Mar 2012, 22:13

No Ives, you don't sound irritating, just sensible and not trying to make me and Kate feel guilty or doubt ourselves or pay you $37!
Kate, the things she said made me feel guilty too. I don't agree with her when she says the child is ready when you're ready. Rubbish. Not very baby-led. I was looking forward to doing a sticker chart and then seeing that site made me feel like I would be treating S 'like a dog'. Hmmm... I felt that kick too Ives, thanks :D
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Another little squish on board - due Sept
Biddy

Postby CherryPop » 14 Mar 2012, 22:18

Kick! Kate - Jacob is 3 months older than Roo. He's just turned 3, and he's nowhere near ready. If he's naked and a wee comes out, he looks down like "What the f**k is that?" Literally no idea that it's coming until it's come. We've had periods of 'trying' over the last 2 years, and figure that he's just not ready. Toothfairy is sending me some of her training pants to try, because I keep feeling the pressure from all my peers with similarly aged babies, most of whom were trained a year ago :/. But really, I should just chill. And it gives me an excuse not to send him to school yet, which people have already started bugging me about. He only turned 3 four days ago!

Sorry to derail your thread biddy ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Riotproof » 14 Mar 2012, 22:27

She sounds like a bitch. And that's without watching the video.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Riotproof

Postby ches » 15 Mar 2012, 00:08

There is another way. Points down there. \/ \/ \/ BLPT works at any age. I don't care what age you start, but I really don't like the "Good morning. Today I'm taking away all your shoes and you will henceforth shuffle along on your head." approach.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby KateGladTidings » 15 Mar 2012, 06:05

Sorry to hijack, Biddy!!

KateGladTidings

Postby pjfairb » 15 May 2012, 16:34

Hey Mamas,
I bought the book and really like it. You all have to remember this isn't for everyone. If her method doesn't resonate with you, that's okay. You can choose to "return" the book and get your money back. Her know-it-all attitude comes from years of experience and actually potty training over 200 kids which is more than most moms or doctors can say. And yes, I agree that her video is a little annoying but this doesn't take away from the fact that she has the experience. When you buy the book, you also have access to the forum which is really helping me right now and if you can't find your answers in her blog or on her forum, you have direct access to her via email. The book provides the foundation to her philosophy and the forum provides troubleshooting. And you do want to read it all before you begin. You will be so much more prepared for the main event.

Regarding her defensive attitude, I think it is geared more towards moms who want to potty train their children earlier than the current Western social norm (in Western society, we PT at about 3 yrs? and in Eastern cultures, they PT by age 1. Actually, 50% of all children in the world are PT'd by age 1) and providing them with some information that supports their decision. I have met resistance from other mothers and family members for the decisions I have made: home birth, cloth diapering, BLW, my aversion to pink EVERYTHING for my daughter. So it's nice to have someone in my corner who supports my choices. Jamie G. is not trying to guilt trip, she is trying to educate those who feel like the mainstream way isn't the way for them. She's letting us know that we have choices!

As for me and my daughter, she is 1.5 yrs and we are going to try in about 2 weeks. I tried about a month ago, but didn't read everything so it was very stressful and frustrating. Little did I know that we were on the right track. Mistakes means she's learning!

I would say that if you want to give it a try, really go for it. Don't dismiss her method before you know anything about it. Remember how we tell our kids to at least try the broccoli when they say they don't like it and they've never even tasted it!

And her best piece of advice was if you really don't want to do it, hire it out to someone else, a babysitter, a nanny, your cousin, your mother... You don't HAVE to be the person to show your kid the way of the loo.

Good luck and good pottying!
pjfairb

Postby KateGladTidings » 15 May 2012, 17:04

Thanks for the reply pjfarb, but infortunately it doesn't really matter whether she wants to give mothers a guilt trip or not. Fact is, her introductory video made me feel guilty and that is never a good start to a relationship. Because of that, I would never sign up to her forum even if it was free. She can't undo making me feel like crap!

*dials down the rage cause again, this is not the time to be worrying about this*

KateGladTidings

Postby sparkling » 15 May 2012, 18:07

Kate wrote:*dials down the rage cause again, this is not the time to be worrying about this*

You're right, now's not the time to worry about it, wipe PT from your mind for the moment! I daren't even look at the website as I know it would make me feel cross/inadequate depending on my mood.
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby KateGladTidings » 15 May 2012, 19:30

Don't worry, PT is far from my mind atm! I just saw this thread had come back to life and couldn't resist a wee look :oops:

KateGladTidings

Return to The Bottom Line