PT without communication?

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

PT without communication?

Postby Fozza » 12 Jul 2011, 12:33

F was potty trained by the same age and I really want it done before he starts preschool in Sept. I am thinking about trying at the beginning of the summer holidays and then we have time to have another go at the end if it doesn't work out. He's been really good with our evening bare bum sessions and last night went from a different room/activity to find the potty. I have left him alone with the potty while putting the other two to bed and he uses it. Won't entertain the toilet though.

He's on the list for speech therapy. He does communicate a bit... I can just about make out 'oddy' (potty), wee-wee with a massive french style w and 'doo' (poo). No one else can make these out. He's good at saying water and will sometimes say this if something is coming. He's not reliable with verbal cues and ok if I watch him like a hawk (not really possible) so I think I have to just pray he will tell me when we are out and about, when the time comes. He is stubborn like his brother so when I suggest the potty and he doesn't need to go he refuses with violent throwing of the potty :scream and so I have stopped asking.

Any experience?
Mum to
A - 09/04/11, Z - 27/02/09, F - 06/03/07
O - 27/02/06...My Forever Baby
Fozza

Re: PT without communication?

Postby shye » 12 Jul 2011, 13:05

No personal experience, but a friends little boy pt'd before he could speak. He made a noise that meant wee, etc, or pointed. He pt'd really quickly and 6 months before his friends.
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Kanga » 12 Jul 2011, 13:17

Would he respond to or use signs instead of words? I am tempted to teach A the signs too so she can let me know if we are out and about without having to yell 'I need a wee!' :)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby ches » 12 Jul 2011, 14:10

J started before he could talk and wee was one of his first words. If Z is taking himself he just needs the potty to be accessible.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Disco » 12 Jul 2011, 15:08

We're doing it at the mo without much speech. He says PeePee which can mean anything from pee, poo or willy or vagina at the moment! He says pee pee before he'll pee when his nappy is off which is the most important thing. So I'd say if you can understand him and he at least has some word or noise for it it should be ok..
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby Fozza » 12 Jul 2011, 19:33

Its times when the potty is not accessible that I am worried about.
Today I offered the potty (a different potty upstairs) before bath and he did a poo straight away. Could have been lucky but getting excited now!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 12 Jul 2011, 19:46

Arch has pt without much communication. He's certainly not ever said he needs to wee/poo. He has a steel bladder though so he holds for hours. I'm pretty relaxed about it all. There's a potty in his room at the moment and one in the playroom. He just wanders off and goes when he wants to, returning saying 'shorts back on'. I rarely prompt or do much really. When we're going out I tell him and ask if he needs to go. If he does then he'll do it straight away but there zero point in making him sit on the potty unless he initiates it as he can hold wee all.day.long if he chooses to. When we're out we take to porta-potty fold up thing just in case but we need to be out a loooonnnnngggg time to worry.

I'm sure it'll be fine. If I waited until arch was speaking we'd never get there. He's a lazy toad, too lazy to pee!! All his nappies were leaking as he kept holding so long hence I decided to pt!
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby Fozza » 12 Jul 2011, 20:06

I've had to put Z in sposies as he was leaking :-( Its a good sign that he can hold it that long. And, like your Arch, Z will hold it for hours.
I didn't really bother asking F before we went out or bed etc and it worked well for us...laid back is the way to go.
Encouraging to hear you have got on ok.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby Allium » 12 Jul 2011, 20:54

Twink was barely talking when he potty trained. He certainly didn't say wee or poo. He did know how to get my attention & communicate yes or no, & that was enough. He did actually learn to say wee in the second week if potty training, but didn't use it regularly for ages. At home the potty was always out & if I saw him trying to pull down his trousers I'd just ask if he needed help. Before long he used the toilet & would just head towards it while asking me to come with him (I.e. Screeching mummy!). When we were out I would take him with me while I went if I thought he'd need it, but mostly it just sort of happened...he managed to communicate to me in his own special way...although no one else really understood. The whole thing was actually really easy & painless despite his lack of speech. These days he just shouts "I need a wee poo" so that everyone knows :oops:
Mummy to Twink - 8/05/08, Squishy - 7/02/10 & Flopsy 1/11/12
Allium

Postby Fozza » 22 Jul 2011, 16:07

Allie wrote:He did know how to get my attention & communicate yes or no, & that was enough. He did actually learn to say wee in the second week if potty training,

Well he can get my attention but doesn't much. He is saying no more in response to my question 'do you need a wee'. He was whining saying wee-wee and when I asked he said yes but couldn't get it to go in the potty...he was very tired.

Anyway we are on day three but having a break tomorrow as DH wants to take them to see Cars 2. It's going ok.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby Fozza » 19 Aug 2011, 20:47

Well that was easy. Continued bare at home during the week then back from a day trip to France on 4th August and not worn a nappy since, naps, night time... nada. It is pretty cool. He uses the international sign for wee or poo = undo trousers and pull them down!

He seems much more relaxed since using pants. He is more communicative. Its like he didn't know where he fitted in the family and now is firmly (well mostly) a big boy. I think preschool will help loads too. So proud.
Mum to
Fozza

Postby TPM » 19 Aug 2011, 20:57

I thought about this yesterday when he was falling on the collapsing pottette in the park! :D

G's international sign for wee is to grab her crotch repeatedly. I don't think she did it yesterday though. This is the bonus of a pg mum that needs to pee even more than you i guess - you never get desperate!

You should be proud, especially the night times too! 2 down, 1 to go. About time you started some EC with A is it?? :wink:
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby elaruu » 19 Aug 2011, 21:02

Wow, nighttimes too! That's great! I don't *think* A's anywhere near not needing a nappy at night, but I have no idea. To scared to try. His nappy is always rather full in the morning, so probably not a good idea. He's been nappyless in the day since Feb though with no problems. Was Z having dry nappies overnight already?
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby ches » 19 Aug 2011, 21:09

Yay for Z and yay for you for ignoring the whole "must speak in full sentences to be ready to potty train" guff. :D
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Fozza » 19 Aug 2011, 22:12

Thanks. It is nice to have just one in nappies.
No he wasn't having a dry nappy in the morning at all. He kept taking his nappy off and I got fed up of sneaking it back on him when he was asleep. He is a really heavy sleeper though and i think that helps. I haven't been able to get pjs or pants on in bed yet though...bit scared to try!
Mum to
Fozza

Next

Return to The Bottom Line