EC support group

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Re: EC support group

Postby Splash » 02 Aug 2011, 18:51

Nux_catz - I agree with issi definately not worth arguing over. Read the book but you only have to read the sections that are relevant to you so you will find you can read it in a day. Then you will be keen to get started. Good luck and have fun.

Don't go spending a fortune on a potty! I bought a baby bjorn little potty for £15 only to later find a potty the same size in Pound Land! Needless to say I bought a few which I have put in easy to reach places around the house and gave one each to R's grans.

At the begining I was very relaxed about it and only sitting R on when I remembered which was mostly after naps but often only every other day or so. It was only to get him used to it really. Now that he is one, i'm more serious about it and had him sitting on 5 times today. He enjoys sitting on and we often read a few books or play with toys.

Some people have found that using something new or usually not allowed as a 'potty toy' often works like a tv remote. Anything really that might encourage your lo to sit on.

Hope this is helpful.
Mum to R (July 2010), A (Dec 2013).
Splash

Postby Singale » 02 Aug 2011, 20:32

Splash wrote:Nux_catz - I agree with issi definately not worth arguing over. Read the book but you only have to read the sections that are relevant to you so you will find you can read it in a day. Then you will be keen to get started. Good luck and have fun.

Don't go spending a fortune on a potty! I bought a baby bjorn little potty for £15 only to later find a potty the same size in Pound Land! Needless to say I bought a few which I have put in easy to reach places around the house and gave one each to R's grans.

At the begining I was very relaxed about it and only sitting R on when I remembered which was mostly after naps but often only every other day or so. It was only to get him used to it really. Now that he is one, i'm more serious about it and had him sitting on 5 times today. He enjoys sitting on and we often read a few books or play with toys.

Some people have found that using something new or usually not allowed as a 'potty toy' often works like a tv remote. Anything really that might encourage your lo to sit on.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks about this Splash. I have got one pourty potty (I think that's what it's called) since Tigerle's 6 months old, but since I'm still a bit baffled about how to go about this we have not yet used it in earnest. Tried a couple of times to sit her on it (admittedly with her nappy & trousers on), only to get a short baffled look before she got up & the potty quickly turned into another toy to bang on. Nowadays it's just sitting there in the corner, forgotten.
Reading this thread, I did wonder if I would need several potties to "catch". How many do people usually have?
Will have to think pretty hard about what we can use for potty toy... as she's allowed free access to pretty much everything in the house except for the obviously dangerous or no - no ones such as the cat's food. :oops:
Hey! this might be a chance to get her another toy?! Mwahahaha! :D
Toys suggestions, anyone?
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby miamum04 » 02 Aug 2011, 21:07

We have been sitting her on the Boots £3.50 potty since six months and it's fine. We have 2, one upstairs, one downstairs. We have a potty song "it's my potty and I'll poo if I want to, poo if I want to, poo if I want to, you would poo too if you felt like I do", it has another verse, can you guess what it is?!!!

She likes books to read too (like her Dad).

Tribal Baby, part-time EC lady gives you a step by step "how to make a potty charm" if you sign up for her free seven secrets. Haven't made one yet but think I will give it a go to add a bit of variety!
miamum04

Postby issi » 03 Aug 2011, 10:01

Ah, she's only 6 months - she's a bit ahead of my boy physically at that age then if she's crawling and pulling up! We started with Snarfy at about 9 months - I think technically we missed one of the EC windows but I never really read up about it.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby Singale » 03 Aug 2011, 10:50

miamum04 wrote:We have been sitting her on the Boots £3.50 potty since six months and it's fine. We have 2, one upstairs, one downstairs. We have a potty song "it's my potty and I'll poo if I want to, poo if I want to, poo if I want to, you would poo too if you felt like I do", it has another verse, can you guess what it is?!!!

Tribal Baby, part-time EC lady gives you a step by step "how to make a potty charm" if you sign up for her free seven secrets. Haven't made one yet but think I will give it a go to add a bit of variety!

Funny song! :bsmile
Thanks for the info on tribal baby. Looks interesting. Will browse some more there.
Singale

Postby miamum04 » 03 Aug 2011, 11:09

nux_catz wrote:
miamum04 wrote:We have been sitting her on the Boots £3.50 potty since six months and it's fine. We have 2, one upstairs, one downstairs. We have a potty song "it's my potty and I'll poo if I want to, poo if I want to, poo if I want to, you would poo too if you felt like I do", it has another verse, can you guess what it is?!!!

Funny song! :bsmile
Thanks for the info on tribal baby. Looks interesting. Will browse some more there.

See you are in the Netherlands, we just went on holiday and stayed in Monnickendam - lovely place and fab country.
miamum04

Postby Splash » 03 Aug 2011, 12:15

You could always use something like a treasure basket as a potty toy. There have been a few threads on here with ideas what to put in it.

R has one that is just a basic plastic basket with;
plastic pegs, baby coat hanger,
spare baby toothbrush, a straw,
keys, plastic cookie cutter,
spare baby hair brush, metal spoon,
a lemon and a belt

He doesn't get it on the potty but it does keep his attention for a while since there is lots of different things to explore. So your lo might enjoy muddling through it to and there won't be much space for things to fall in the potty so don't worry about that.

If you do a treasure basket remember to change the items now and then to keep it interesting.
Splash

Postby Singale » 03 Aug 2011, 21:55

Splash wrote:You could always use something like a treasure basket as a potty toy. There have been a few threads on here with ideas what to put in it.

R has one that is just a basic plastic basket with;
plastic pegs, baby coat hanger,
spare baby toothbrush, a straw,
keys, plastic cookie cutter,
spare baby hair brush, metal spoon,
a lemon and a belt

He doesn't get it on the potty but it does keep his attention for a while since there is lots of different things to explore. So your lo might enjoy muddling through it to and there won't be much space for things to fall in the potty so don't worry about that.

If you do a treasure basket remember to change the items now and then to keep it interesting.

Fab idea!
Miamum, life is pretty good here. :D
We've actually never been to a lot of the tourist attractions on NL. Not even Keukenhof nor Volendam! Will have to do it one of these days before we pack up and move again somewhere else.
Singale

Postby Splash » 08 Aug 2011, 19:10

I put R in his pants yesterday for 30mins. He was dry but dp wasn't too keen on the idea so put his nappy on when I went for a shower :( . He only managed 20mins tonight before he wet but he had no idea. I took them straight off and put him on potty but poor thing didn't know what happened.

R enjoys wearing pants. Always smiling in them and tries to walk more. I think it must be easier without a nappy on. I just hope that he doesn't start refusing to wear a nappy! Far too soon for that.
Splash

Postby miamum04 » 08 Aug 2011, 21:57

Where did you get the pants from Splash? I am thinking of getting some for my DD. My MiL has kindly made DD some split crotch pants and they are winging their way in the post as I type. Looking forward to trying them out! I don't think DD is very aware of her weeing or if she is, she doesn't communicate about it in any obvious way so maybe some time getting wet without a nappy will help. Plus, it means my floor gets cleaned for once! Ha.
miamum04

Postby Singale » 09 Aug 2011, 01:11

Splash, have you got cloth nappies about? Might be an idea to use cloth nappies without the cover, no trousers & the rompers open at the crotch as a compromise with your DP (finally managed to read Gross-Loh's book this weekend during Tigerle's nap). Or is that how you've been doing up to now?

We did this for 2 days and I confirmed my suspicion that despite being labelled as "late starter" by Gross-Loh's book, Tigerle's definitely aware about her elimination (makes faces while doing both).

BUT! The problem is, she'd make those faces WHILE doing it & I don't feel like whipping her off the cloth nappy & onto the potty... I think that might be counter productive as it'd surprise & frighten her.
Singale

Postby miamum04 » 09 Aug 2011, 06:58

DD used to make a certain noise whilst pooing but now she does the noise before she does it so it is like a warning. I just used timing to put her on the potty and it progressed to her making the noise.
miamum04

Postby Singale » 09 Aug 2011, 10:37

we caught a poo this morning! Yaay!
(never thought I'd ever write such a thing in a forum before... :D )
Singale

Postby Splash » 09 Aug 2011, 11:23

I got ordinary boys briefs from Asda. They do from age 1. Pack of 7 for £2.50

I've just been using disposable nappies and just sitting R on potty after food and naps giving him the que sound. I had been looking for training pants but gave up and went for normal ones. I thought he would feel wet more than a nappy but not to sure about that now.

Well done little tiger! Woohoo! did you take a pic? A worse thing to admit on a forum but I did I was so proud of his first poo on the potty.
Splash

Postby Splash » 12 Aug 2011, 16:37

Wow we have had a breakthrough I think. We went shopping this morning and I when I took R to the baby change his nappy only had 1 pee after 2 1/5 hours! I planned to sit him on the toilet but it was disgusting and wouldn't flush, so I put fresh nappy on. R was still grumpy and wasn't hungry or tired so I thought we best head home. Just got in the door, sat R on potty and .......!

4 hours later I sat him on an old potty at his nana's. His nappy was bone dry but he didn't use. Sat him on potty at home, he had wet a little in nappy by then but did both AGAIN in potty!

Supernanny Jo Frost is talking rubbish saying that babies can't control their bladder until at least 18months!
Splash

PreviousNext

Return to The Bottom Line