EC support group

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

EC support group

Postby Splash » 11 Mar 2011, 16:29

For us few who are doing Elimination Communication with our little one's. We can now post our questions, queries, experience and successes here. Also for those of you who are interested in EC and want to see how we get on before you take it on.

Hopefully this little support group will be just as good as the RL ones as there are none to be seen in Scotland! :(

Sorry nothing to post for today as the potty hasn't came out today :( Must try harder as I am keen to get going.
Mum to R (July 2010), A (Dec 2013).
Splash

Re: EC support group

Postby Cayla » 11 Mar 2011, 21:00

We've been doing pretty good , but now she is sick and barely will leave my arms for a diaper change, let alone to sit on the potty. It still impresses me when she pees or poops right away when I sit her on it though :)
Thanks for this thread!
Cayla

Postby Jelly Belly » 11 Mar 2011, 21:24

We aren't fully EC, it's an unplanned the baby poos on the loo type thing in our house. We used the baby to entice the toddler onto the potty and baby started using it too - yikes! Might go more fully EC with any future babies as it's soooooo nice not changing dirty nappies and Squirmy seems really happy with how things are too.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Splash » 12 Mar 2011, 19:54

Sat R on potty three times today straight after naps but nothing! He was sitting for a good 10mins at least as we played with toys and sang songs.

jellybelly - How do you manage to get poo's in the potty? That is a great achievement especially when you weren't even trying to 'catch'! Well Done.

Cayla - Hope your lo feels better soon. We just started ECing last week and taking a very relaxed approach but only managed to catch 3 pees in potty so far :( .

Should I just lie R on a waterproof mat a few times with nappy off and watch like a hawk so I can make sound? Will he 'click' quicker this way when he hears me making the noise? I'm totally confused. I read the book and loved the Idea. I enjoy sitting R on the potty and interacting with him and I pleased that he is happy to sit on too. I have tried him on the toilet a few times too but doesn't seem as relaxed.
Splash

Postby Cayla » 13 Mar 2011, 14:37

Splash - she's feeling a bit better now, thanks!

If he isn't moving yet, that would be a great way to see when he pees and you could make the sound. This would also give you a better idea of when he pees in relation to eating/sleeping etc. I don't have DD timed yet. I sort of of just take her shortly after she eats, and as soon as she gets up, and then about an hour or so after a pee.
This morning, I was nursing her in bed, and then sat her up and thought I heard her poop. So slowly made my way to her change table, realized that she hadn't pooped, put her on the potty and she immediately pooped and peed! Now, I can't say if it was just impeccable timing, or if she was actually holding it, knowing that I put her on after eating. But it was awesome!
HTH good luck!
Cayla

Postby Splash » 13 Mar 2011, 19:44

Wow, She probably was holding on to it. Its so amazing what they can do at such a young age. :D

Thanks for the advice. No major plans for tomorrow so I will try leaving him 'free' for a bit. Yeh he doesn't move too much yet, very lazy like his dad! This suits me fine until we get sorted on the potty. He did a pee in his potty today within seconds of sitting on. I know he pees when he wakes up but not had success after milk yet but I will keep trying.
Splash

Postby Aggie » 13 Mar 2011, 19:47

I was really hoping to try this out but I've tried to sit Mr Bunny on numerous pottys in the last few months and he leaps off as soon as his bottom touches them! :?
B is 4!
A is 2!
Aggie

Postby Cayla » 14 Mar 2011, 03:00

ke002 wrote:I was really hoping to try this out but I've tried to sit Mr Bunny on numerous pottys in the last few months and he leaps off as soon as his bottom touches them! :?

We always make sure to have something distracting to play with/look at. Something she only gets on the potty...like a remote :D That usually keeps her there long enough for her to relax enough to pee.
Cayla

Postby ches » 14 Mar 2011, 03:07

ke002 wrote:I was really hoping to try this out but I've tried to sit Mr Bunny on numerous pottys in the last few months and he leaps off as soon as his bottom touches them! :?

We got J his potty around 12 months to get used to. It was never anything more to him than a stacking & sorting toy. By the time he finally sat on it, it was apparent that his wedding tackle sat on top of the seat and it was far too late to return the potty. We got a toilet seat and never looked back. (He was in a mimicking phase and also separation anxiety so knew well enough that the toilet was a place to sit IYSWIM and we had books and puzzle boards.)
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Splash » 17 Mar 2011, 14:31

We managed to catch a poo in the potty for the first time yesterday! :D What a difference it made to the cleaning up process!

R is still totally unaware of what is happening as I keep forgetting to leave him 'free' for a while. My mission is to do it after next nap as I usually grab the potty and sit him on. We have been quite successful lately. :D
Splash

Postby NTmum » 21 Mar 2011, 11:18

reading this and the other earlier thread, ive realised that we have been doing a bit of ec'ing! Our boy is 1 and we have just started putting him on the toilet to poo and have had 6 successes in 4 days! For ages now i have said to him, "doing a wee?" or "doing a poo?" when its obvious that he is. I think this is similar to the cue noise and seems to works for us :)
NTmum

Postby Jelly Belly » 21 Mar 2011, 12:00

Cayla wrote:I can't say if it was just impeccable timing, or if she was actually holding it, knowing that I put her on after eating. But it was awesome!

It was very clear (to me at least) that Squirmy would hold on until she was on the potty/loo before doing a poo, pretty much from the start. The only time she splats in her nappy now is if she is unwell (or the day before she falls ill so we get a heads up!) or if I've overdone it on the dairy (she is dairy intolerant) so not very often :) On Saturday she got out of bed early and kept doing a weird squatty thing at me so I asked her if she needed the loo and then followed my 15 month old baby to the bathroom where she sat on the toilet and did a poo and had clearly held it despite a poorly tummy!

Much of the current wisdom about babies pooing and weeing indiscriminately or not being able to tell until around 3 years of age can only come from reasearch done by nappy companies....
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Cayla » 21 Mar 2011, 16:21

Jelly Belly wrote:
Much of the current wisdom about babies pooing and weeing indiscriminately or not being able to tell until around 3 years of age can only come from reasearch done by nappy companies....

'like'
Cayla

Postby miamum04 » 11 May 2011, 19:33

Am hooked on EC now! Downloaded the book on to my kindle and have had two catches today, one poo and one wee. The wee was when my OH came home and I said 'let's try her on the loo now' and bless her she went for him. It was brilliant. I am investing in some of those disposable changing mats so she can sit naked and play and I can see what she does right before she goes and then cue her.

Does anyone else use anything for good ECing?

Cheers
miamum04

Postby Splash » 12 May 2011, 18:04

Glad you are on board and full of enthusiasm! I was at the begining too but found ECing difficult to maintain. Just lack of time really and forgetting :oops:

I hope to get back into it because I think it's such a great thing. At the moment we use the potty only occasionally like once or twice a week but want to pick it up to at least once a day. I have only been successful catchin R immediately after a nap. I still find it hard to see in potty to make cue sound.

He has been enjoying weeing when the nappy is off to be changed so I have been making cue sound to that but is hard not to scream when it's getting everything wet and going everywhere! He doesnt relate cue sound to action yet.

This support group seems to have dwindled so hope your excitment and enthusiasm encourages people back and some to start ECing!

It is extremely rewarding seeing your baby perform on the potty/toilet.
Splash

Next

Return to The Bottom Line