Constipation

Cloth nappies, disposies, potty training... the inevitable result of BLW. What goes in, must come out.

Constipation

Postby Rosieandolive » 30 May 2016, 02:58

Hello. I'm pretty sure my little 8m old is constipated. Frequent small firm pops that seem to require a fair bit of effort.
What foods should I give her to loosen her up? And what to avoid?
Is this a normal part of transitioning to solids? Not sure whether to be worried.
Rosieandolive

Re: Constipation

Postby Lily » 30 May 2016, 08:46

Yes, it's normal for the timing and consistency of poos to change when they start swallowing more solids. It's also normal for them to make more visible effort, even if they're not constipated. But if the poos are very hard and dark, like rabbit droppings, then she is a little constipated. You can help by giving her water to drink with every meal, and offering fresh or dried fruit (though not too much apple or banana, as those can be constipating). Don't worry, her body will get more used to solids very quickly as she grows.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby lmcwil » 01 Nov 2016, 02:37

I am concerned about this too. My 7-month old little girl has been straining a lot today and both today and yesterday she only had one bowel movement each day and it was small and hard almost like a little stone each time. Well not quite as hard as a stone but definitely not like her usual stools.

Yesterday was an unusual day because we were at a convention all day so she didn't get as much exercise as usual, and she also ate much less than usual yesterday. Today her schedule was back to normal so I am hoping things will improve by tomorrow. I am going to try offering her more water tomorrow as well to see if that helps.
lmcwil

Postby lmcwil » 01 Nov 2016, 19:31

I tried to post a reply on this thread yesterday but for some reason it's not showing up.

My 7-month old is having trouble with constipation right now, too. I have been trying to get her to drink more water today but so far it doesn't seem to be helping. The pediatrician's office recommended giving more liquidy foods. Well, that's not really very easy to do with BLW. I have been trying for a while to get her to eat yogurt but she doesn't like it. In general I don't give her much liquidy foods because she doesn't have a lot of luck with it. She will eat a tiny bit of applesauce off of a pre-loaded spoon, but apples are supposed to make constipation worse so I don't want to give her that.

Any recommendations from other BLW moms out there? Should I try giving her juice?
lmcwil

Postby lmcwil » 02 Nov 2016, 00:01

Hi there!

My 7-month old is having the same problem right now. Her pediatrician's office recommended adding more water to her food- haha! Not so helpful when you're doing BLW. I have been trying to get her to drink more water and I was thinking about maybe trying juice.

Any other recommendations from BLW moms?

I have had limited success getting her to eat from a pre-loaded spoon (so far she has only managed applesauce from a spoon- and I don't want to give her apple until the constipation improves). I would like to give her yogurt but so far she really doesn't like it. I have never given her the sugary kids yogurts.

I'm definitely open to suggestions. She has been eating solids for a little over a month now but this is the first time she got constipated. I think part of the problem was she had an unusual day on Sunday where she didn't get to move around as much or drink water that day (she didn't take as many breast feedings as usual that day either) so maybe she's still just getting back to normal from that (it's Tuesday night now).

Thanks,
~Laura
lmcwil

Return to The Bottom Line