In need of lunch ideas

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

In need of lunch ideas

Postby clairelfc » 23 Mar 2009, 22:21

Hi

Toosie is now 10 months and we've been BLW for a few months now, very successfully. However I am really bored of trotting out the same old stuff for her lunch and wondered if anyone had ideas of quick and easy things to add to my repertoire. Our standard fare consists of:

- bread of some kind (pitta or pumpernickel both favourites, or 'normal' toast or potato cakes)

- plus a spread of some sort. Usually hummus, avocado, philly, the marvellous carrot&cumin&cheddar mixture

- plus some roasted veg and/ or fruit

She's not great with cheese sticks but I would love to think of other things to make for her, especially other sandwich filling ideas. Does anyone know of any filling that rivals the carrot&cumin mixture? I won't do ham as it's processed and am keeping her off nuts until she's about 1. Would be very grateful to know what else you give yours. (I try to keep the cooking for supper time when my other 2 are home so I'm looking for quick non-cook ideas that could contribute to being a meal in themselves). Also what do you give yours for 'pudding' other than fruit or yoghurt?

Thank you!

Claire C
Toosie born 17.5.08 plus boys 6 and 4. All BF, cloth-nappied, but boys Annabel Karmeled and now v v fussy. Hoping BLW will change that with Toosie....
clairelfc

Re: In need of lunch ideas

Postby cee » 24 Mar 2009, 12:08

I don't really have any ideas for things that require no cooking at all, but some things we have that don't need much cooking are-

savoury pancakes
omlettes (with cheese/veg etc)
soup
salmon fishcakes (recipe on here)
savoury muffins (recipe also on here. can be frozen and taken out as and when you need them)
tortellini or pasta with pesto
sandwiches (peanut butter/ grated cheese and chutney/ hummus and veg/ cream cheese and avocado)
leftovers!
Cee & Twinkle x

Twinkle is 3!
cee

Postby Kanga » 24 Mar 2009, 12:10

I've made the broccoli and cheese muffins from the blog and they go down a treat for lunch. I've got some in the freezer then just zap in microwave for lunch!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Zsmum » 24 Mar 2009, 13:12

We do the same thing for lunch all the time too. We vary it with rice cakes, cucumber, cherry tomatoes (Z thinks these are fruit and so loves them! :bsmile ) and different kinds of cheese. Surprisingly she likes gorgonzola and blue brie and other strong flavoured cheeses. How about beans on toast? (Or is Toosie still too messy to be trusted with tomato sauce?)

We have a dessert policy to almost always only offer fruit and yoghurt. To stop us giving her sweet things at every meal. Its an idea I found on here, and makes me feel quite virtuous.
Mum to Zephyr born 11/2007, and Roscoe born 4/2010
Zsmum

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 24 Mar 2009, 18:45

We sometimes have pretend pizzas, with a tomato and cheese topping. Mackerel pate is a good bread/toast/oatcake/cracker topping as long as you don't mind the smell. Other than that we make the same kind of things others have listed above or have lots of leftovers. I usually make too much pasta sauces and freeze the remainder for quick lunches or tea for DD.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby clairelfc » 24 Mar 2009, 20:11

Thanks all!There are some really good ideas in there which have definitely left me feeling a little more inspired! It's funny how you can get stuck in a rut with these things. We have endless Cheddar in the house but for some reason I just didn't think of buying in other types of cheese. have been meaning to make savoury muffins for ages so I will get on with it and the pizza things sound like a great idea too.

I agree re pudding - fruit or yoghurt only here. I've been the same with the boys for years, though neither of them will eat fruit so it's yoghurt only. They've been rebelling recently though and suddenly seem to think that having pudding is an essential end to every meal and get very fed up when I refuse to get out another sticky toffee pud or ice cream!

I just did a search for a savoury pancake recipe and found this discussion from late last year: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6119&p=64730&hilit=savoury+pancakes#p64730
It's got lots of other lunch ideas too if you are interested. BUT it didn't have the savoury pancake recipe. I know how to make 'normal' pancakes and then for the boys I just chuck in either ham&cheese & mushrooms, or sweet stuff, but have you ever made pancakes with things in the batter rather than as filling? Am thinking that spinach might work well, or mushrooms..???

Love to all
Claire C xxx
Toosie born 17.5.08 plus boys 6 and 4. All BF, cloth-nappied, but boys Annabel Karmeled and now v v fussy. Hoping BLW will change that with Toosie....
clairelfc

Postby realsLINshady » 24 Mar 2009, 20:27

I use this recipe for my vegetable pancakes. In these, the veg is in the batter rather than as a filling in a plain pancake iyswim.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83&p=652&hilit=galette#p652
realsLINshady

Postby Fozza » 24 Mar 2009, 22:11

I make pancakes, drop scone type ones, with grated Cheese and frozen spinach (defrosted) usually but you could be a bit more adventurous.
The reciepe:
1 egg
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp Milk
1 tsp baking powder
Whisk ingrediants together. Stir in the cheese and spinach. Fry tablespoonfuls of the mixture and in a bit of hot oil. turn when bubbles come to the surface.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby clairelfc » 24 Mar 2009, 23:47

OOoh - FAB - thank you. Those both sound absolutely delicious! Toosie's lunches are hereby officially reformed!

Claire xxx
clairelfc

Return to Recipes