Dahl.....

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Dahl.....

Postby Sheela » 29 Oct 2007, 22:45

There are probably as many dahl recipes as there are INdian mothers.....so here goes for a couple of the best and easiest ones.....(in my humble opinion)

For this type of dahl.....you can use any soft dahl....like red/yellow...etc.....

Recipe
Cook lentils....according to packet.....in big saucepan in nothing but water....lots of it...until they are soft.

Version 1

In a small frying pan, melt a tablespoon of butter and add half an onion (finely sliced), cook it uncovered until it is quite browned....then add 1/2 teaspoon tumeric, one teaspoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Keep it on a high heat for a few minutes....and then add one ladle of the cooked lentils....and it will sizzle like mad......then stir and tip the onion mix into the saucepan of lentils....and add the juice of one lemon/lime....and season to taste.

Version 2.

As above but add one quartered tomato to the onion mix...just before adding spices....don't let the toms get soft in the frying pan...they need to retain their shape.

Version 3
As version 1....but omit the garam masala....and instead...add a teaspoon of cumin seeds....before the onions.....until they sizzle slightly, then add the onions....and continue the recipe as above.

Version 4
As version 1 but before the onions go into the butter....add a teaspoon of black mustard seeds.....and cover with a lid.......once the start to pop violently....add the onion....and then continue as version 1.

Dahl recipes can also be made with tamarind paste instead of lemon/lime juice......add about 1 teaspoon.

You can also add dried red chillies.....at the same stage as the other spices....for extra oomph.

You can also add chopped coriander just before serving....for a gorg smell.

Dahl is normally served with chappatis but is well loved by my LO just spread (read squashed) onto slices of bread......
Sheela
Sheela

Postby Aitch » 30 Oct 2007, 00:34

oh i LOVE you! actually LOVE you!
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby realsLINshady » 30 Oct 2007, 19:51

<Joins Aitch to hug Sheela's knees>

I have wanted to cook dahl properly for aaaages. I have faffed about with lentils and adding stuff to them but never got the right stuff or the right quantities.

Am so looking forward to giving this a go - rice & dahl is one of my tip-top-all-time-favourite-comfort-foods.
realsLINshady

Postby Rosebud » 31 Oct 2007, 21:48

I stirred some quinoa flakes into dahl for the last couple of minutes, which made it sufficiently play dough-like for MM to shovel down with her hands, and survive being dropped in her lap and picked up a few times. Greatly lessened my vegetarian 'is she getting enough iron?' angst?
Thought I might try the same with soup, as MM seems to like to vary her textures during the course of a meal....
Best wishes
Janet
Rosebud

Postby Tracey&Lara » 08 Nov 2007, 22:58

Good idea re: quinoa flakes. Where do you buy them? I only have normal quinoa at home (tiny little balls!) which won't help the dahl stick together.
Tracey&Lara

Postby EmilyinFrance » 11 Nov 2007, 15:44

Sheela - thank you SO much. Echoing H, I think I do actually love you. :)

Had some British / German friends over for lunch today. I cooked dahl, your chicken curry, your fish curry, and basmati rice. And a sticky chocolate pudding. It was incredibly successful. Thank you! You should write a book.

I thought I'd cooked far too much so that there'd be some left for the freezer. No such luck. Everything eaten.

Thanks so much, Emily
EmilyinFrance

Postby ches » 11 Nov 2007, 19:54

Sounds delicious, I just wish hubby had a stomach for hot stuff. I ate Thai food once a week while pregnant and sneak chili here and there so lo should be on board, but I'm afraid to give him any firesauce just yet cos he still rubs his nose and eyes while he eats.
ches

Postby Sheela » 12 Nov 2007, 23:15

Hi Emily in France.....delighted that you liked it all. At least I know that I can make Indian food well......I had 12 people over for lunch on SUnday...and made a quiche......well....it was a quiche 20mins BEFORE i took it out of the oven....it was a burnt egg/pastry fritter by the time it landed on the table :oops: :oops: .

Thankfully they were all good friends....who have eaten my good food before....so they were very forgiving!
Sheela
Sheela

Postby greyspeckledhen » 13 Nov 2007, 11:09

errr...how many lentils do you use? Trying to feed little chick, myself and DH.
greyspeckledhen

Postby Sheela » 13 Nov 2007, 19:18

I would use about a mug full......
Sheela
Sheela

Postby Rosebud » 13 Nov 2007, 22:08

Quinoa flakes - got ours from a health food shop. Fair Trade from Bolivia, don't you know. I use it to thicken up stuff that I've made for us - dahl, soup, sauces etc so that MM can just shovel it in, and I can stop worrying about a vegetarian baby getting her calcium, vits etc.
Good luck and thanks for the great dahl recipes,
Janet x
Rosebud

Postby Fozza » 13 Nov 2007, 22:57

Sheela, I'll cook you some quiches if you cook some curry for me. :wink:
Mum to
A - 09/04/11, Z - 27/02/09, F - 06/03/07
O - 27/02/06...My Forever Baby
Fozza

Postby greyspeckledhen » 14 Nov 2007, 20:41

Made dahl today and I loved it but little chick made some terrible retching noises and threw it on the floor - better luck next time!
greyspeckledhen

Return to Recipes