porridge question

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

porridge question

Postby wheresthemanual » 26 May 2016, 08:38

Hi all,

My lo is 6.5 months and so far have been sharing breakfast/dinner with him

I eat porridge quite a lot and have been just letting him grab a spoon with a taste of my porridge on. However yesterday and today he has been getting the spoon clean and wanting more. This morning I expressed a bit of breastmilk and mixed it onto a small pot but as mine already had oatmilk in it was very runny.

Is it possible to make porridge using ebm? I know it denatured over 40 degrees so not sure whether its worth making it with it.

I'm just using standard porridge too-suddenly thought I remembered blitzing it with dc1 but she was traditionally weaned to start with.

What do you do if you serve porridge? Xx
wheresthemanual

Re: porridge question

Postby Kanga » 26 May 2016, 08:51

I imagine you could make it with ebm but it is also fine to use cows milk in cooking for you lo, just not as a main drink. Lots of people also swear by porridge fingers but I've never tried them. You should be able to search a recipe on here or the blog.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby lisbeth » 26 May 2016, 08:59

Porridge was a favourite with my two from very early on. I used full fat milk, sometimes with a bit of apricot purée made from soaked dried apricots as I read they were a good source of iron. I learnt about porridge fingers too late, but I just made it thick and gloopy so it stuck to a spoon. In fact I prefer it like that myself now!
A 2011, R 2012
lisbeth

Postby Lily » 26 May 2016, 12:59

Yup, just normal porridge with full fat milk here too. Or try my (actually Jamie's) yummy granola dust recipe, over on the recipes board somewhere.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby wheresthemanual » 26 May 2016, 20:25

Thanks all!
wheresthemanual

Postby EnigmaFish » 26 May 2016, 22:08

Both my two absolutely loved porridge fingers, so I keep posting the "recipe" so other people can try it.
Use normal porridge oats and milk.
Usually, porridge is made with a ratio of 2 parts liquid to 1 part oats. For porridge fingers, use a 1:1 ratio. Mix together in a shallow bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until it begins to look set and rubbery. (Yum!) Leave to cool, then peel out of the bowl and serve.
I had skinny babies, so sometimes I would use cream instead of milk. Also, it's great to put in a spoonful of tahini - completely optional but full of goodness.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby lisahendrix » 20 Jun 2016, 10:16

I always put banana and honey, its good for supper too!
lisahendrix

Return to Recipes