BLW and night weaning

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

BLW and night weaning

Postby churchill » 03 Apr 2016, 02:53

Hi there, im a firm advocate of BLW, my baby has been eating anything and everything since she was 6 months. She's now coming up for 9 months and is eating a good varied diet. During the day she is barely interested in breast milk now and last night she pretty much turned down her bed time feed. Im keen to stop breast feeding in the night as I think its become a habit and im pretty certain she's not hungry. But how do I settle her back to sleep without the comfort of the breast? She's never had a bottle or a dummy. My friend just told me breast feeding is still the most important until she is a year and to cut back on normal food if she is turning down the breast milk! Help please!
churchill

Re: BLW and night weaning

Postby ches » 03 Apr 2016, 04:04

My mantra is 9mo = teething pain = ibuprofen. There are things you can do to keep your baby on the breast during the day, e.g. nurse in a quiet, boring room. I'd argue if she's not nursing during the day (distracted) or at bedtime (teeth hurt?) then she needs it at night. Milk is the main meal until 12mo.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Lily » 03 Apr 2016, 18:47

Yes, I agree with ches - try to get her to bf more in the day, before you cut down at night. Have you tried feeding her to sleep for her daytime naps?

Night weaning at 9mo is perfectly doable; I weaned my eldest down from 5 or 6 night feeds to 1 at that age, and it was a matter of breaking the habit, as you suggest. He had stopped using a dummy at 6mo, and never had a bottle, but he had a comfort toy and learned very quickly to drop off without a feed. (He still fed 4 or 5 times in the day.)

Milk gives them exactly the balance of easily-digestible nutrients they need, so don't be too quick to cut it down just yet.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby churchill » 05 Apr 2016, 00:53

Thanks Lily and Ches....Really helpful advice, thank you
churchill

Return to Recipes