Lemon, Sultana, Nut and Oat Balls

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Lemon, Sultana, Nut and Oat Balls

Postby Cofa's Tree » 29 Jan 2016, 14:14

Not exactly a snappy title for them, but very descriptive of the contents!

Really tasty, easy to make, and only 60 calories each for those counting calories if you make 14 balls (somewhere between a grape and a walnut size each).

80g sultanas
80g cashews
6 tbsp oats
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Zest and juice of a lemon

Blitz everything except the lemon juice in a food processor until finely chopped. Tip into a bowl and add about 6tsps of the lemon juice. Smoosh together into a big ball, then break small pieces off and roll into small balls - makes about 14 small bites, add a bit more lemon juice as you go if needed for binding. Ready to eat or put in the fridge to chill!
Cofa's Tree

Re: Lemon, Sultana, Nut and Oat Balls

Postby mamapup » 29 Jan 2016, 17:31

I might try these tonight. Thanks they look yum.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby LucyLastic » 29 Jan 2016, 17:36

Think I might too. They've got to be a better bet than the box of dark chocolate brazils in the cupboard that are calling my name...
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 29 Jan 2016, 20:01

Ooh delicious! I make something similar with dates, nuts and a handful of cocoa nibs (added after blending, for a bit of crunch).
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Treeb » 30 Jan 2016, 02:48

I recently made this raisin and walnut version, which turned out pretty yummy. Tried them with the kids as well - L loved them, A found them a bit too gaggy.

If you search pinterest or whatever for larabar recipes there are all kinds of variations and flavor combinations.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby mamapup » 30 Jan 2016, 07:37

The puppy recently made something similar at nursery but it had cocoa powder in too. They were amazing.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Cofa's Tree » 30 Jan 2016, 07:47

Cheers Treeb, I wasn't familiar with larabars (although we have nakd bars over here which are a similar commercial product), but I see there are lots of recipe results out there so I'll spend a happy hour or so browsing! I like having small balls so I can control my intake (in theory :wink: ), but I assume that's just a cosmetic choice and most recipes can be finished however you want.

Ah, I'll have to try the cocoa nibs Lily. I love dates but tend not to have them in very often whereas we always have sultanas or raisins hanging around :)
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 30 Jan 2016, 16:57

Amazing. We altered the recipe because we had no cashews so used walnuts. We also added a tiny bit of cocoa powder. Amazing. We all love them, thanks for that.

mamapup

Postby Cofa's Tree » 31 Jan 2016, 08:26

Great, glad you liked them :) . We're addicted to them! Going to try pistachios and cranberries today...just not sure whether to include the lemon juice for binding in case it's too dominant...but what to use in its place - just water might work I suppose.
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 31 Jan 2016, 08:28

Gave the recipe to my brother yesterday, he's just made them with his son. Big hit thrre too. Thanks.

mamapup

Postby ChristmasGift » 02 Feb 2016, 08:53

I made them last night. Used pistachios as we didn't have cashews. Yum!
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby Cofa's Tree » 02 Feb 2016, 10:23

They are fab aren't they? :D Tried cranberry and pistachio but I prefer the lemon and sultana taste. Got walnuts left over from Christmas so if I can be bothered to crack and shell them, I might give coffee, walnut, sultana and oats a go.
Cofa's Tree

Postby Kitcameron » 02 Feb 2016, 15:04

Would it work without the nuts, as were not nutty fans here? (unless they're salted peanuts in my case or possibly cashews)

And are they crumbly or do they stick together get her well. I'm looking for a sort of oaty, flapjacky recipe that doesn't lead to loads of oats everywhere when given to the girls.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Cofa's Tree » 02 Feb 2016, 17:22

Wow! I had some time this afternoon so shelled some walnuts and used them in place of the cashews and made an espresso and used that in place of the lemon juice and zest...not one for the kids obviously but equally as good as the lemon ones!

They stick together really well Kc with about 6-8 teaspoons of lemon juice (or orange or probably even just water) to bind them, and as they are fairly small balls, they don't fall apart when bit into. I love nuts but they don't particularly taste nutty to me (but as the aforementioned nut lover, I might not notice the taste!). I'm not sure what else could work - maybe pumpkin seeds?
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 02 Feb 2016, 20:17

My kids don't like nuts but love the balls, if that helps.

mamapup

Next

Return to Recipes