Muesli?

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Muesli?

Postby Kitcameron » 03 Jan 2016, 16:03

Can someone tell me what the basic ingredients for muesli are? I know that probably sounds a bit dim but muesli is one of those things I've always liked the idea of but rarely find one that doesn't have something in I don't like, I'm not big on nuts and seeds really.

Dh has recently started having muesli and yoghurt for breakfast and I've been pinching some too. Aldi and Tesco both do quite a nice red berries one without any things in we don't like but I've been wondering if we could make our own any cheaper than buying a box.

I'm thinking if I made my own it'd probably have oats and dried fruit in but do I need to add anything else sort of oaty? And do I do anything to the oats or just chuck them straight from bag into mixing bowl? Do I need special oats or just porridge oats? One recipe I read said jumbo oats, I'm guessing porridge oats are fairly normal sized oats not jumbo sized, am I right?

Eagerly awaiting your scrummy ideas.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Muesli?

Postby booksnob » 03 Jan 2016, 17:09

I make my own, and it's usually a 'chuck in what we've got' exercise. I use Asda basics porridge oats and add some or all of the following: ground almonds, flaked almonds, dried cranberries, desiccated coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried apricots (snipped up with scissors), any other nuts we have. I think you could add things like bran or wheat flakes, but I'd need to make a special trip to a health food shop for those, so don't bother. Basically, there's no right or wrong, just chuck in what you fancy.
DD1(C) July 2009
DD2(M) March 2015
booksnob

Postby qbm » 03 Jan 2016, 17:49

That sounds absolutely delicious booksnob! I'm putting that on the list of things I plan to eat when my braces come off <sigh>
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Kitcameron » 03 Jan 2016, 19:43

Thanks booksnob, that sounds like what I was thinking but online recipes seemed more complex lol. DH doesn't think it's worth making our own but I might try anyway lol.
Kitcameron

Postby Lily » 03 Jan 2016, 21:50

I posted a recipe recently for granola dust which is basically blitzed muesli. It's really delicious and a good way to get the health benefits of nuts and seeds without being such hard work to eat. You can also use it to make porridge and in various other concoctions. The littlies love it!
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby yorkshirepudding » 03 Jan 2016, 22:00

Thanks for the inspiration kc and the recipe booksnob, I had got some lidl nutty one I liked but I might make my own now. I'll look up the granola dust too lily. I make Moo's porridge by soaking oats overnight with sultanas and chopped walnuts and when they're cooked they don't taste too walnutty which makes them edible in our opinion! But added seeds and nuts would be good. I do add ground linseed to his when I remember but I find it tastes too fishy for me?!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby StJuniper » 04 Jan 2016, 01:53

http://www.refinery29.com/my-new-roots-cookbook

This page has a stunning granola recipe. I know that's not what you asked for but it's vaguely related, right? :)
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kanga » 04 Jan 2016, 13:16

Mine sounds much like booksnob's. I use this recipe and can literally chuck it together in minutes. It evolved as I've done it as dh doesn't like nuts in it & ive played around with fruits. His favourite is mix of sultanas, snipped dried apricots and dry cranberries. He eats it with orange juice as the recipe suggests but could never be bothered with grated apple & is now off dairy so doesn't have the yoghurt.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 04 Jan 2016, 18:53

Thanks everyone, will definitely go check out those recipes
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 04 Jan 2016, 21:19

Making my dust now, thanks Lily.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby EnigmaFish » 04 Jan 2016, 23:16

Just to mention that DH brought jumbo oats home by mistake instead of normal porridge oats. They're bigger (surprise, surprise) and tougher to cook. When I use them to make porridge they take longer to reach a porridge consistency. This is bad for porridge, but good for granola or muesli, I would guess.
He bought ours at either Aldi or Lidl.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Recipes