Quick, midweek meal ideas

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Quick, midweek meal ideas

Postby bigcatmaniac » 28 Oct 2015, 21:24

Just that really. I am looking for some new ideas of meals to throw together on the days I am working as we are totally in a rut and I am getting really bad at meal planning so we are relying more and more on convenience stuff midweek - which is not doing my figure or my wallet any favours.

Hit me with your go to midweek quick meal ideas.

Thanks

Big cat
bigcatmaniac

Re: Quick, midweek meal ideas

Postby Kitcameron » 28 Oct 2015, 21:31

My girls had a makeup recipe of cheesy sausage and carrot risotto tonight, although probably only possible because DH was available to entertain them whilst I cooked. It was basically risotto rice cooked with chicken stock and grated carrot with cream cheese, sage and sausage stirred through at the end (it was our date night so we ate after the kids went to bed)

Pasta carbonara
Shepherds pie
Spag Bol
Lasagne (prepped whilst CM in bed usually)
Bangers and mash
Risotto
Curry

Those are probably our go to meals
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 28 Oct 2015, 21:56

Do you have a slow cooker?

Worth heading over to the meal planning thread as a bunch of us were recording our meal plans there to help others out.

However

Gnocchi and sauce
Pancakes with egg cheese ham and spinach
Wraps with prawns
Omelette
Spaghetti bolognse
Roast chicken and veg
Anything in slow cooker or that I can do day before.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby junglewonderland » 29 Oct 2015, 00:28

My favourite quick meal at the moment is whisk a few eggs together, then fold in a few grated and finely chopped veges and herbs, then pan fry the lot. Super healthy, and takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby bigcatmaniac » 29 Oct 2015, 06:00

Thanks guys - I do have a slow cooker but am just not organised enough at the moment to use it. Gnocchi is a good idea though - I've not tried that with the kids yet. Part of the problem is that they don't like lots of things. Neither likes rice / risotto, mash, cheesy / creamy sauces (so Mac and cheese, carbonara etc), one likes eggs but the other doesn't. They are not great with spicy stuff either. So we've been having a lot of pasta, meatballs, bolognase, pizza, sausages, fish fingers, fajitas etc and I am fed up.

I never make things with rice anymore - e.g risotto, curry, egg fried rice, chilli or things like fish pie, shepherds pie with mash on top as I know the kids will hardly eat anything.

They will eat roast dinners and the like but I don't have time for this on the nights that I am working.

Will have a look at the meal planning thread too.

Thanks

big cat x
bigcatmaniac

Postby Kitcameron » 29 Oct 2015, 07:56

Is there a chance for you and DH to eat by yourselves one night a week. We have date night, which normally jut means we eat something different after the kids have gone to bed and the. Watch telly same as any other night lol, but we de used to try something new on date nights so we got a bit of variety and tried to find new things we could all eat as a family too. Just thinking if one night you ate after kids had gone to bed then you could at least have a bit more variety even if you weren't cooking new meals.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 29 Oct 2015, 08:04

Roast is super easy on work night. In morning chuck veg and chicken in roasting dish with lemon up chicken's bum. Cook for 1hr20 on timer and bam, supper when you get home.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby mindy » 29 Oct 2015, 22:51

Fancy beans on toast (I add onion, chilli, chopped peppers and chorizo)

Cheese and grated apple on toast

Prawn curry with a jar of sauce and lots of added veg (frozen spinach and frozen peas is a winner here)

Left over bolognaise sauce (deliberately make double) spiced up with chilli and kidney beans, heated up, wrapped in a burrito, topped with creme fraiche and grated cheese then grilled til golden.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Return to Recipes