Gluten free cake recipe?

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Gluten free cake recipe?

Postby SharkiesMum » 15 Oct 2015, 19:59

My good friend has her 40th birthday next week, and we are on an all day study day Crawley! Not the ideal way to spend your 40th, so I thought I would make her a cake. She has cealiac disease so can't have any gluten. All the recipes I can see have weird ingredients like mashed potato!

Do any of you have a really nice gluten free recipe? I would like it to be a bit special and as close to a normal cake as possible. I have seen quite a nice recipe using lemon curd yogurt but it calls for xanthan gum which I have never used before. I am happy to give it a go - any advice on using this?

Thanks for your help!
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Re: Gluten free cake recipe?

Postby Marrow » 15 Oct 2015, 21:25

I don't think there's a birthday cakey cake recipe there, but have you seen my fairly recent thread on gluten free baking? There's some good stuff in there that might be useful, or at least lead you up the right path.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kanga » 15 Oct 2015, 22:29

I've recently made this for our church cafe & it went down a storm. This is tasty too if you'd rather something chocolate.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Mummamac » 16 Oct 2015, 09:30

Both my sisters are Coeliac so I have quite a lot of experience modifying recipes! :wink: Mostly, you can just substitute your GF flour in place of plain flour. Gluten free baking will be heavier and more crumbly, but otherwise fairly much similar. Xanthan gum is a 'gluten' substitute that can help baking to not crumble apart, it's really useful in pastries. It is available at health food shops. You can easily bake the cake omitting it though, it won't make that much difference. If you do want to use it, definitely don't use too much, it can give it a weird 'sticky' texture.

I do know that carrot cake or any of those other more dense and 'wet' cakes usually turn out best. Or simple vanilla cupcakes decorated all pretty. Have fun!
Mummamac

Postby SharkiesMum » 16 Oct 2015, 20:14

Thanks everyone. The apple and almond cake looks great Kanga, I might give it a trial run. That'd really helpful about the gluten free flour and the xanthan gum Mummamac, I have quite a wet fudge cake recipe that should work well with gluten free flour from what you've said.

Thanks so much all, I'll update you with how it goes!
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Edward_Croft » 20 Oct 2015, 09:47

I know of only one gluten free cake recipe - chocolate along with avocado - and it is such a big hit with the entire family that we end up baking it every other weekend!
- Heat oven, grease sandwich tins, put avocado and sugar in food processor, add rest of ingredients in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt and process it to a liquid batter. Divide between tins and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool tins for 5 minutes. Start preparing the frosting by beating together avocado and sunflower spread with electric beaters until creamy and smooth.
- Melt chocolate, let it cool. Tip in avocado mix, icing sugar, melted chocolate and vanilla into a bowl of soya milk and cocoa to make a shiny, thick frosting. Use this to sandwich and top the cake. Cover with sprinkles and once it is set, you're done!
Edward_Croft

Postby bigcatmaniac » 25 Oct 2015, 05:34

Nigella does a carrot cake with toasted pine nuts on top which is made with almond flour. Think it's called Venetian Carrot Cake. It's nice - I've made it for my friend who is gluten free. X
bigcatmaniac

Return to Recipes