meal planning sharing

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Re: meal planning sharing

Postby qbm » 23 Feb 2015, 15:48

Lots of great ideas!

This week we are having:
Carribean lamb stew with rice
Chicken, almond and saffron tagine
Pesto fish and potato bake
Random leftover veg from the fridge risotto.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby mamapup » 23 Feb 2015, 19:32

Kitcameron wrote:Everyone's food sounds lovely I have to say. Think I need to implement a 'no using the same meal twice within a fortnight' rule or something to avoid is eating the same meals all the time lol

When I get worked up over eating the same foods I think about my kids in Rwanda who ate the same food every day ad infinitum with no complaints. They were just so grateful for regular food. Not saying this in a preachy way at all as I don't like eating the same stuff too regularly and get all worked up.over giving the kids the same stuff over and over, just makes me realise it really doesn't matter too much!

Marron, we had non posh fish finger bagels for lunch today. Yummy yum yum.

Edited because my phone apparently auto corrects Latin.
Last edited by mamapup on 23 Feb 2015, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby qbm » 23 Feb 2015, 19:45

I used to hate having the same thing within days. I would refuse to if OH suggested cooking a double batch of something... Then we had children and all that spare time we could dedicate to cooking disappeared :) I pretty much only cook stuff I can double up and serve a few nights later to avoid cooking!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Treeb » 23 Feb 2015, 19:54

This week we are having:
Crock pot shredded/roasted beef. Probably with some form of potatoes and veggies.
Mini pizzas.
Fish sandwiches made with frozen breaded fish.
DIY salads. (I chop a bunch of different kinds of veggies, some cheese, boiled egg, sometimes chicken or beans, etc. and we each add what we want on our own salad. L eats his all in separate parts, not mixed up.)

We try not to repeat the same meals two weeks in a row, but we do repeat meals within a week. It makes it so much easier to be able to cook a big batch of something, have it early on in the week, and then serve the leftovers again later in the week. Sometimes I mix it up by having different veggies on the side or whatever, but we don't seem to mind eating the same thing a couple times in a row, especially as we then probably won't have it again for a few weeks at least.

LucyLastic - would you mind sharing your recipe for chicken tikka?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby LucyLastic » 23 Feb 2015, 22:13

Here it is, Treeb - it's from Meera Sodha's 'Made In India'. We've also done her Whole Roast Masala Chicken, Roasted Cauliflower with Cumin, Turmeric and Lemon (who knew cauli could taste so delicious?!) and Caramelised Onions and Jeera Rice (several times, with the addition of half a dozen cardamom pods). Delicious!

It all sounds like a lot of work, but it's some grating, some measuring, some stirring, some drinking of wine while you wait, then some plonking on a tray!

Oven-roasted Chicken Tikka (Murghi na tikka)
Serves 4-6 (or 2 adults, one toddler and lunch the next day)
Fan oven @ 180C
Lightly oil a large baking tray (she says two but I found one large one to be sufficient)
600g skinless, boneless chicken thighs (I used 2 large chicken breasts instead as we buy whole chickens then joint them and make soup with the bones) cut into 2-3cm chunks

4cm piece ginger, remove skin with a teaspoon then finely grate into a p&m along with 4 cloves of garlic and one green chilli, both finely grated (she says roughly chopped then bashed together, but I found that using a microplane does a better job) with a pinch of salt.
Mix together in a bowl:
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
3/4 tsp ground cumin (or crush your seeds)
3/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika (not the smoked stuff)
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/4 tsp salt
130ml yoghurt (I used greek)
Add the pulped garlic, ginger & chilli, stir together then add the chicken pieces, mix thoroughly, cover and leave to marinate for at least 15 mins and up to a few hours.
Shake off any excess marinade from chicken pieces and put on tray. Cook for 20 mins, turning after 10.
I have also done these under a grill, on a baking tray for the first ten mins as the yoghurt/meat chucks out some water and it's easier to put a baking tray and the grill into the dishwasher and also prevents steaming), then onto the grill tray for the next ten, then another turn for a couple of mins to get the charred effect on the other side too.
I served them with little gem leaves, mint and yoghurt sauce, a little smear of mango chutney and sweet potato chips folded into home made flatbreads.
Let me know if you make it and what you think :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby lizandimo » 24 Feb 2015, 04:51

That chicken tikka sounds amazing!!

Yesterday we had garlic chicken thighs, potato wedges and broccoli
Today we had spaghetti Bolognese
Tomorrow, probably beef enchiladas
Weds possibly slow cooker butter chicken
Thurs no idea
Fri we usually go out for dinner!

I'm not the best at planning, usually what we have is based on what is in the fridge/freezer and how much time I can be bothered to put into cooking!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby ChristmasGift » 24 Feb 2015, 08:42

Great thread MP. I am now feeling suitably guilty about the 'pasta/rice/cous cous with x' meal selection we seem to be resorting to at the moment.

So for the reminder of this week
North African Squash and Chickpea stew (from River Cottage Veg). Chicken Pie and veggies for MrCG
Omlette with sweet potato chips and peas. TBC alternative for MrCG
Bean chilli (from the BLW cookbook) and rice. TBC alternative for MrCG
Sausages with mash and veggies
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby pookiecub » 24 Feb 2015, 14:06

Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals book is really good, despite not one taking only 15 minutes so far! I don't have a food processor to do a lot of his short cuts!

Tonight we are having an edited version of the minestrone and poached chicken with salsa verde, which means enough for repeat meal tomorrow.

I made Moroccan aubergine dish last night, and we are having peanut tofu Thursday with a Japanese inspired "warming vegetable pot" Friday.

I plan a whole week ahead, I have a blackboard divided up to show breakfast/lunch/dinner for each day, and I shop Monday's based on the week coming. It really helps keep a hold on having a healthy diet and not wasting food.
pookiecub

Postby LucyLastic » 24 Feb 2015, 14:43

What is the point of me planning meals for the week if the OH is going to just get a joint of pork out of the freezer so he can do a roast (which I don't even like). Bah, humbug, fiddlesticks, etc.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 24 Feb 2015, 16:25

Just finished a plan for the coming week.
Beef stew (slow cooker)
Zucchini pasta (veggie)
Minchi with rice
Ciopino (fish)
Chicken tikka
Teriyaki flank steak salad
Apricot chicken with cous cous (slow cooker)

I try to do 1x veggie, 1x fish, 1x chicken, 2x slow cooker, 1x pasta and 1x rice.
And I try to do things I know they eat on days with swimming/scouts. If those things can be cooked in the slow cooker, so much the better!
This week seems to feature a preponderance of beef, but I'm trying to clear the freezer a bit.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby mamapup » 24 Feb 2015, 18:37

Tofu fritters a big hit here. MrC, little croc and I loved them. The puppy, who does like tofu, was a bit annoyed I put corn in them. I won't do that again! We have agreed I can put broccoli in instead next time.

What's in yours, emzit?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby FestiveTidings » 24 Feb 2015, 19:37

Brilliant thread MP. I'm going to steal lots of ideas. This week is just live out the freezer for us as I need to clear space so lots of single portions of stuff being used. Last week was good though so I will share that :)

Steak and ale pie (made with Black Sheep Ale)
Chorizo and black pudding stew
Mince and dumplings
Chicken Fajitas
Homemade Cheeseburgers and Chips
Mexican Lasagne
Takeaway pizza

I would love some slow cooker recipes! I'm getting stuck in a bit of a rut, just doing my mince, and chorizo stew in it.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby mamapup » 24 Feb 2015, 20:14

How do you all make dumplings? I said I'm making lamb and dumpling stew in the slow cooker tomorrow. I found a recipe for herby ones that doesn't involve suet, are they going to be vile? Best bit is that they can go in the slow cooker.

PS. Glad people like the thread!

mamapup

Postby LucyLastic » 24 Feb 2015, 21:31

I use vegetable suet and follow the instructions on the packet but add a tablespoon or so of dried stuffing mixture or a teaspoon of dried thyme. They cook just as well in the slow cooker or on the top of the stove as in the oven.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 24 Feb 2015, 21:35

FestiveTidings wrote:
I would love some slow cooker recipes! I'm getting stuck in a bit of a rut, just doing my mince, and chorizo stew in it.

The apricot chicken is from the MDC's book, just throw everything in with a little less liquid. Don't cover the ingredients, just about 11/12ths of the way up.
I do lamb rogan josh in there too. Jamie Oliver's food revolution one. But again with less liquid.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes