PoYo - super easy breakfast porridge

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

PoYo - super easy breakfast porridge

Postby nsmd » 14 Sep 2014, 07:00

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but currently feeling very pleased with myself, so I thought I'd share!

Ingredients

1 baby yogurt
Couple of spoons of oats

Method
Mix oats & yogurt & store in fridge overnight. In the morning you have a thick fruity porridge. It's still very messy, but mostly sticks to baby, rather than walls, floor etc. For maximum smugness serve in one of those silicone cup cake cases. Easy for little hands to chew on & slurp from.
nsmd

Re: PoYo - super easy breakfast porridge

Postby Treeb » 14 Sep 2014, 09:31

We stay away from "baby yogurt" but I make something similar for myself and for L with regular yogurt. I mix equal parts oats, yogurt, and milk. I usually add some fresh fruit or drizzle of honey if I've used plain yogurt. Obviously no honey for a baby under one though. I make up a few small jars of it at a time and they can stay in the fridge for a few days.

I've also done a quick version in the mornings where I mix up some oats and yogurt with just a splash of milk, then let it soak for at least half an hour while we are getting dressed and such.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby pookiecub » 14 Sep 2014, 10:36

Yes, I would use plain yogurt as well, even things marketed as "baby yogurts" have a scary amount of sugar in. A bit of fruit smushed in instead seems a tasty solution to that (and plain yogurt is a lot cheaper as well).
pookiecub

Postby EnigmaFish » 14 Sep 2014, 15:33

We regularly have something similar with Greek yoghurt and muesli. Any way you do it, it's a great idea!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby tiyashrivasthav » 17 Sep 2014, 11:12

I'll try this. I think it is very easy.
tiyashrivasthav

Postby deenamathew » 27 Sep 2014, 09:30

It think this very easy to do i would like to try it once. I would also like to share recipe of banana porridge. This variation to porridge will help you fuel winter sport and exercise and give yourself a real head start with this super-easy and tasty breakfast.

Cooking directions

For each person use ½ cup rolled oats, 1 cup water, and ½ cup low-fat milk.
Mix rolled oats, water, and milk in a microwave-proof bowl (use a large bowl to prevent spilling over when cooking).
Cook uncovered in the microwave on HIGH power for 1 ½ minutes. Stir.
Cook for another minute. Repeat if necessary until it boils and thickens, and becomes smooth and creamy.
Stir 1 or 2 teaspoons honey and a mashed banana into hot porridge.
Serve with extra milk and sliced banana, if desired.
deenamathew

Return to Recipes