Rainbow cake with chocolate icing?

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Rainbow cake with chocolate icing?

Postby mindy » 09 Sep 2014, 21:09

I'm going to make Roo a rainbow layer cake for her party this weekend. I love the 'red nose cup cake' icing (with cream, sieved jam and melted chocolate) - do you think I could use this on a big rainbow cake or will it just run off? Nine of us are fond of buttercream. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Re: Rainbow cake with chocolate icing?

Postby pookiecub » 10 Sep 2014, 13:08

That sounds like chocolate ganache with the addition of jam.

Ordinary chocolate ganache is just cream and chocolate which you could leave to cool and whip to cover a tall cake, perhaps allowing it to cool and whipping it would work the same? It would work without the jam, I don't know how that effects the texture!

Rainbow cakes are so fun, I used to work at an after school club, I promised I would make something special for my birthday, then turned up with a plain white iced cake saying I hadn't had time, their faces poor things! then cut open and YAY!
pookiecub

Re: Rainbow cake with chocolate icing?

Postby deenamathew » 27 Sep 2014, 09:47

This is an amazing tasting cake! Its really dense and fudgy like a white mud. I doubled the recipe and baked 6 layers in a 30cm pan. Recently i have made this
deenamathew

Return to Recipes