biscuit recipe

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

biscuit recipe

Postby emzit » 21 Aug 2014, 05:03

Muncher's birthday party is this weekend and tomorrow we're going to be making biscuits ready for it. Every time I've tried a biscuit recipe for cookie cutters I haven't been totally happy with it so just wondering if anyone has one they can recommend?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Re: biscuit recipe

Postby pookiecub » 21 Aug 2014, 08:35

This Nigella Lawson recipe works quite well, I would suggest only 1/4 tsp salt though, or skip entirely. And does need to be a large egg or add a splash of milk if its a smaller one.

http://www.food.com/recipe/nigella-laws ... ies-332244
pookiecub

Postby Cofa's Tree » 21 Aug 2014, 11:19

I think I got this recipe for shortbread biscuits from a random internet search, but it's easy and works really well - I've added lemon juice and rind in the past, or chocolate chips, etc.

Shortbread (makes about 24)
150g butter
80g castor sugar
200g plain flour
1/8 teaspoon fine salt

Step 1. Place the butter and castor sugar together in a bowl and cream until combined and fluffy
Step 2. Add the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together to a smooth dough
Step 3. Roll the dough into a log approximately 30cm long (note, this is for rounds but I would think chilling in a ball, then rolling out and using a cookie cutter would work just as well). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. While the dough is chilling you can preheat your oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Step 4. Cut the log into 1cm slices (or use your cookie cutter) and arrange on your baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden
Step 5. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack
Cofa's Tree

Postby emzit » 22 Aug 2014, 11:52

Thanks for the recipe suggestions. I was eyeing up Nigella's so good to have a recommendation, thanks PC. We made Tunip's fish biscuits this afternoon and they have turned out really well. Hard work convincing muncher that the dough had to go in the fridge for an hour though! I had an extra large egg but needed milk anyway and would probably have been stuck without that tip!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby pookiecub » 22 Aug 2014, 15:38

Wonderful! Glad they turned out ok, I like Nigella's recipes but they more often than not need a tweak, though her sponge cake is so adaptable I love it, that never fails!
pookiecub

Postby tiyashrivasthav » 10 Sep 2014, 12:50

I tried this one

4 cups self-rising flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease two baking sheets.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir well. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add 2 cups buttermilk and mix just to moisten.
Roll out dough to 1 inch thick and cut into biscuits. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheets; brush tops with remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.
tiyashrivasthav

Postby deenamathew » 27 Sep 2014, 09:50

I have tried this cornflakes biscuits

Ingredients

125g butter, at room temperature
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 egg
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
45g (1/4 cup) currants
Pinch salt
60g (2 cups) cornflakes, crushed slightly

Preparations

Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Step 2 Use electric beaters to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg. Fold in the flour, currants and salt and mix until well combined.

Step 3 Place the cornflakes in a bowl. Spoon slightly heaped tablespoonfuls of the butter mixture into the cornflakes. Toss the mixture gently in the cornflakes to coat and form balls.

Step 4 Place the balls, 8cm apart to allow room for spreading, on the prepared tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Cool the biscuits for 10 minutes on the trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
deenamathew

Postby sumitahuja3121 » 11 Oct 2014, 06:58

Cofa's Tree wrote:I think I got this recipe for shortbread biscuits from a random internet search, but it's easy and works really well - I've added lemon juice and rind in the past, or chocolate chips, etc.

Shortbread (makes about 24)
150g butter
80g castor sugar
200g plain flour
1/8 teaspoon fine salt

Step 1. Place the butter and castor sugar together in a bowl and cream until combined and fluffy
Step 2. Add the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together to a smooth dough
Step 3. Roll the dough into a log approximately 30cm long (note, this is for rounds but I would think chilling in a ball, then rolling out and using a cookie cutter would work just as well). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. While the dough is chilling you can preheat your oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Step 4. Cut the log into 1cm slices (or use your cookie cutter) and arrange on your baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden
Step 5. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack

how we make it sugar free ?
sumitahuja3121

Return to Recipes