Food to fill up little tummies

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Food to fill up little tummies

Postby Hackneygirl » 24 Jun 2014, 21:29

Hi,

I'd be grateful for some ideas and info about food that will help to fill up my little girl (so she hopefully sleeps better). She is on the 91st and 99th percentile respectively for weight and length so is quite big. She won't eat off a spoon so porridge etc are out.

I've tried a few recipes with oats from the baby led weaning book ...they weren't successful. Not sure if I used the right oats? We have old fashioned Quaker oats.

I've seen suggestions like just putting lots of oil, butter and cheese on everything however I'm not sure about this. What do you think the effect on long term eating habits might be? I'm worried this would be an unhealthy way for her to be getting more calories but I don't know the alternative.

Sorry for long post. Thanks
Hackneygirl

Re: Food to fill up little tummies

Postby Sallie » 24 Jun 2014, 22:05

How old is she? She may be able to fist porridge/rice into her mouth; my little boy can at 9 months.
He doesn't sleep through the night though!
If she's younger have you tried porridge fingers - you can let the porridge go cold/dry out and shape/cut it into finger shapes that are easy to pick up. Also you can use risotto rice and shape into balls.
Fat isn't unhealthy for babies I don't think - it's a major part of their diet.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby Hackneygirl » 24 Jun 2014, 22:10

Thanks for your reply. She is almost 8 months.

I've tried the porridge fingers but they just didn't turn out right-they fell part and not edible! The oats are quite big so I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong ones but they are the only ones in the shop where I live.

I will try the risotto.
Hackneygirl

Postby StJuniper » 25 Jun 2014, 00:01

Babies need a high percentage of their diets to be fats. And newer research suggests our understanding of the effects of fats has been flawed anyways, and that healthy (i.e. natural) fats lead to more satiety and overall better eating habits.

What is her age? Many, many people here can attest to the absolute lack of correlation between eating and sleeping, but if she's a younger baby, milk is what she needs to fill up her belly, not oats. Knowing her age would probably make giving advice about it much easier.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Hackneygirl » 25 Jun 2014, 01:14

That's really interesting-I'd love to do some reading up on the subject. Does anyone have any links to resources?

She is almost 8 months.

Yes I know it may not make a difference but I need to try something to get more sleep! Recently a few friends say their babies slept better once they had porridge at dinner time as it seemed to fill them up. As my daughter won't eat off a spoon it's hard to know what she is ingesting. She is a great milk drinker unless she is ill/teething.

Thanks
Hackneygirl

Postby LilyRose » 26 Jun 2014, 08:41

I cook rice pudding in the oven til it's gone a bit dry and crusty (nice!) and give handfuls. It works really well. Although....I personally don't think food makes loads of difference to sleeping so don't beat yourself up about it!!
LilyRose

Postby LilyRose » 26 Jun 2014, 08:52

Sorry, just read the previous post properly about eating and sleeping. There was me thinking I was being daringly controversial!!
LilyRose

Return to Recipes