I want to eat more fish

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Re: I want to eat more fish

Postby issi » 09 Jun 2014, 08:50

This is a bit of a cop out compared to all the fresh fish recipes above - but one of our staples is pasta with tinned tuna, pesto and roasted veg (peppers, onions and tomatoes)

DH isn't a fan of salmon but likes cod and haddock. Mackerel is quite different I think.

Re the fish fingers - mine absolutely love helping me dunk the fish in egg, flour and breadcrumbs, and if you shallow fry them they aren't greasy.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby GHJingle » 09 Jun 2014, 10:10

any firm white fish - dust with a bit of flour (put a bit of seasoning in the flour) and thinly slice a clove of garlic. heat a knob of butter and a dash of oil (the butter will give colour, the oil will stop the butter from burning), throw in the garlic, when it starts sizzling add the fish. turn after a few minutes - if it's a big bit of fish you can finish it off in the oven - yummy with roast potatoes and greens like asparagus or beans.

Or put your fish on a piece of baking paper on top of a piece of foil and top with lemon juice, lemon slice, garlic and fresh herbs, fold the paper and foil around the fish (so there is a roof above the fish) and seal by folding the foil at the top. Put in the oven until it smells yummy - depending on how big the fish is, if its a couple of medium fillets - about 20 mins ish. You can then make yourself sound super fancy by telling your family you baked your fish en papillote
A (May 2012), B (Feb 2016)
GHJingle

Postby Marrow » 09 Jun 2014, 11:51

Re salmon vs mackerel: what is it that you don't like about salmon?

Similarities between the two: oily (so similar texture), both often smoked.

But (smoke aside) they taste pretty dissimilar to me.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Brigitte » 11 Jun 2014, 05:35

I just don't like the flavour of salmon. Different preparations of it are better/worse than others, but I'm never enthused to be eating it. I'm not very familiar with mackerel. I'm not big on seafood in general, but I'd like to push myself to eat more fish since it can be good and is certainly good for you! White fish sounds like a good place to start.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 11 Jun 2014, 05:44

I had this today. It's pasta with tuna. Very very good.
http://www.oprah.com/food/Jools-Favorite-Saturday-Afternoon-Pasta
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby Jelly Belly » 11 Jun 2014, 20:35

If I remember to marinade the tuna steaks around lunch time (in soy, honey/maple syrup, garlic and oil) then I can get dinner cooked In 7 minutes. Fry on high heat and serve with cous cous and steamed asparagus. The girls love it and I love how quick it is!
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 12 Jun 2014, 21:42

My fave fish is basa, which is a lovely white fish that they sell frozen at aldi and you can cook from frozen... Slice garlic, saute in olive oil, add fish, cook til done. Remove fish, add capers, a couple of sliced olives and a glass of white wine to the pan, deglaze pan, pour over fish, serve with wedges and green veg. Nom!
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Previous

Return to Recipes