First birthday cake ideas

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

First birthday cake ideas

Postby eterna » 16 May 2014, 03:31

So DS's party is on Saturday. Two weeks late thanks to a measles exposure...

Anyways, I want to make a nice sugar-free cake so I can just let him eat as much as he wants. He had a store bought cupcake from MIL last week and after he faceplanted and hoovered a huge mouthful of icing half an hour before bedtime, I got nervous about all the sugar and just broke off a small piece and hid the rest. All the sugar free recipes that come up on a google search just have other sweeteners like Splenda instead which is worse I think.

I make the sugar free banana bread recipe from here fairly often but DH says that's not allowed as it's not proper cake. Any other ideas? I was going to use whip cream instead of icing as I generally only add a teeny bit of powdered sugar to that.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Re: First birthday cake ideas

Postby SparklePetal » 16 May 2014, 10:11

If banana bread doesn't count I'm afraid you might be stuck. "proper" cake just does need sugar, it's what makes it cake!

I did ordinary cake for first birthdays and didn't worry too much about it as it was a one - off rather than the norm.
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby Treeb » 16 May 2014, 11:15

We did a carrot cake, which did include a regular amount of sugar. Like SP I didn't worry about it too much since it was just a one time thing. The fact that it was a carrot cake also let me pretend it was healthier :wink: since veggies were involved.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby StJuniper » 16 May 2014, 11:18

I made a chocolate zucchini cake with the sugar cut way back and iced it with a sugar-free whip cream and mascarpone frosting. The recipe is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40642&hilit=Mascarpone
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby DandelionFrosting » 16 May 2014, 13:55

If banana bread doesn't count this probably really doesn't count, but I've seen people make "cakes" out of watermelon -- cut a cake-shaped bit out of the middle, cover it with whipped cream, and decorate it with other kinds of fruit.

I made SJ's cake for Saurus's first birthday. For his second, we did a "shortcake" that was more or less a bit of cake buried under a fruit salad. :D He only ate half the cake before he demanded more blueberries.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Lily » 16 May 2014, 14:02

I made a fruit-filled piƱata cake for Iz's first - basically a hollow sphere of sponge cake, with lots of berries inside, and mascarpone 'icing' to glue the halves together and cover the outside. The walls can't be too thin, or it would collapse, but the bulk of it is mostly fruit rather than cake.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby eterna » 16 May 2014, 16:22

Good ideas, thanks! Maybe I'll try the chocolate zucchini cake. At least if it's chocolate it will seem more "cakey". Now I just have to figure out party favours for an 8 month old, a 13 month old, and a 4 year old. I hate party favours...
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Brigitte » 16 May 2014, 17:56

eterna wrote:Good ideas, thanks! Maybe I'll try the chocolate zucchini cake. At least if it's chocolate it will seem more "cakey". Now I just have to figure out party favours for an 8 month old, a 13 month old, and a 4 year old. I hate party favours...

We have given out those birdseed balls at our birth-themed first birthday party, one per family, and it works for all ages. Bubbles can also work for all ages, as the babies like to look at them or pop them even if they can't blow them.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Return to Recipes