Red cabbage with spices and coconut milk

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Red cabbage with spices and coconut milk

Postby sabrina fair » 30 Jan 2014, 15:08

We just talked about this in the 'Not wasting food' thread, so here it is.

This is actually supposed to be made with normal cabbage, but my DH did it one day, not realising that red cabbage is 'supposed' to be cooked for longer/treated differently and it was delicious! I've done it with proper cabbage too, but it's not as nice. The red stuff seems to keep its shape and taste better. If you chucked in some chickpeas it'd made a good main dish with rice, but we tend to serve it as an accompaniment to other curries. It freezes very well, which's good because it makes a big pan.

The ingredients list is long, but you can always leave stuff out if you don't have it. I also don't actually ever weigh the cabbage - I've just made it with half a very large cabbage, adding a splash of water because there didn't seem to be enough liquid.

2 tbs veg oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 chilli (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 pinch ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
450g red cabbage, cut into medium-sized strips
2 tbs cider vinegar
1 x 400ml tin coconut milk

1. Heat oil in large pan and fry mustard seeds till they crackle
2. Add onion, garlic, ginger and rest of spices and fry for another 2 minutes
3. Add cabbage and vinegar
4. Add coconut milk and simmer gently, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until cabbage is cooked.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to Recipes