Pressure cooker ideas?

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Pressure cooker ideas?

Postby cloudcuckoo » 26 Jan 2014, 16:28

DH has bought me a pressure cooker for my birthday. I have never used one, and they are much derided in my family as my grandmother used it for everything up to and including peas. Bleurgh. But there are surely good uses and recipes, and they seem to be quite the thing with chefs at the moment - any tips or recipes you'd care to share?
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Re: Pressure cooker ideas?

Postby cloudcuckoo » 31 Mar 2014, 22:24

Nobody? Do I have the only BLW pressure cooker? Y'all should get one, I cooked the best ever braised red cabbage this evening, really tender and sweet and moreish. And it took 3 minutes cooking time. And beef casserole takes 25 mins for melt in the mouth meat. I think it could be a worthy challenger to the slow cooker.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 01 Apr 2014, 06:08

I've got one. Definitely brilliant for making stock, bolognaise sauce and casseroles. I'm not so brilliant with timings so only tend to make things that take a while to cook.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby BacktoSaz » 01 Apr 2014, 08:47

We use ours mainly to cook kidney beans, chick peas & so on, after soaking. It's brilliant for that.
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby FestiveTidings » 01 Apr 2014, 14:12

My mum used hers all the time even though she was slightly scared of the knob thing on top whistling and rattling away!

It made THE BEST MINCE AND DUMPLINGS IN THE WORLD. Honestly, I could tell the difference between normal stove top mince and the mince from the radgy pot (as we called it).

As far as I can remember if it could be cooked in a pot, if could be done in the pressure cooker, just in a fraction of the time. I'll ask mum for her favourites.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Return to Recipes