Your very best recipe

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Your very best recipe

Postby StJuniper » 04 Nov 2013, 04:28

Curious: what's the very best dinner recipe you have? Actually, if you have a really fabulous breakfast/lunch recipe that's ok too. I've been sorting through my recipes on onetsp.com and made a tag for "best recipes", which got me wondering what other people had that would fall in that category.

This one is mine; it's dead simple and DH requests it for his birthday, I'm all about dead simple birthday-worthy meals :)

Chicken Parmesan Bake
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1/2 small onion, minced
3-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-2 cups marinara sauce
1/8 cup chopped fresh basil OR 1 teaspoon Italian spice
Handful coarsely-chopped spinach
1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 package garlic croutons

Preheat oven to 350F. Pour the olive oil into a small casserole dish. Add the garlic and onion and brush to coat the bottom of the dish.
Place the chicken breasts into the dish. Pour the marinara sauce overtop. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella, the spinach, and the Italian spice/basil.
Spread garlic croutons in an even layer over the top of the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Let rest about 10 minutes to set, then serve.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Re: Your very best recipe

Postby Morlyte » 04 Nov 2013, 09:48

I have many that I love to make but my personal fave is Chinese braised beef in ginger.

It is mouthwatering and the kids love it. I always do it in the slow cooker and use feather blade beef which is deliciously soft when slow cooked.
Morlyte

Postby Treeb » 05 Nov 2013, 02:39

These both sound great! Dh loves chicken parm but it always seems like too much work so I never make it, but this I can do! Do you usually have it with pasta?

Morlyte, how do you adapt that for the slow cooker? Do you still start off with things on the stove, or just toss it all in the slow cooker to begin with? When it says to reduce the sauce at the end, do you cook with the slow cooker lid off or something?

Most of my usual dinner "recipes" are just things I can throw together with no recipe - stir-fry, pasta dishes, salads, oven roasted veg, etc.

I've only made this Coconut Curry Lentils once, but it turned out really yum and L loved it. http://www.heathersdish.com/1/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-lentils/

For a breakfast recipe I like this recipe for steel cut oats in the slow cooker. It makes a ton so I usually cut the recipe in half and I still have enough for breakfasts all week! http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-mid-wint-163084
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby StJuniper » 05 Nov 2013, 03:31

Oh man, those steel-cut oats look incredible. I tried overnight slow-cooker oatmeal for the first time last week, and it was okay, but this recipe looks waayyyy better.

I usually just serve the chicken parmesan bake with a salad, it doesn't really need to be bulked up what with all the cheese and croutons.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Morlyte » 05 Nov 2013, 06:33

I make the paste as it says and if I remember I marinate the beef overnight. However I generally forget so it just all goes in the slow cooker and then reduced at the end.
Morlyte

Postby Marrow » 05 Nov 2013, 11:59

This lamb stew with black pudding crust isn't done justice by the picture they have.

The stew itself can be made in the slow cooker, oven or hob, and then put in a nice dish with the black pudding (Stornoway if you can get it, Bury works too) arranged nicely on the top and stick it in the oven until crispy.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Gizmo » 05 Nov 2013, 12:12

The best thing I can cook is a roast dinner. I'm really good at it and my roast potatoes and parsnips are very tasty.

Other favourites here are ..

Mung Bean and Sage Cottage Pie
Serves 4 - 6

1 lb mung beans or aduki beans
3 lbs potatoes, scrubbed
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
2/3 tbs fresh sage leaves
½ pint milk substitute
6 garlic cloves
½ cup cornflour
1 cup apple juice
2 cups water of cooking liquid from beans
½ cup tamari
5 tbs olive oil
1 tsp ground black pepper
Sea salt

1) Cook the beans for 45 minutes in boiling water, to which the garlic cloves have been
added. Reserve the water for later use in this recipe if desired.
2) Boil potatoes with their skins on until they are tender. Then drain and mash well, adding
the milk and oil.
3) Mix the corn-flour to a smooth paste with a little liquid, the carefully mix in apple juice
and tamari.
4) Saute together the onion, sage, carrots and pepper in olive oil, until soft, about 10 - 15
minutes. Add the mung beans, stir well and pour in the apple juice mixture and simmer,
stirring until thickened. Tip into a greased oven-proof dish, top with the mashed potato and
bake for about 20 minutes, at 425 degrees F, until just browned.

Arabian Stuffed Aubergines
Serves 4

2 medium aubergines good and firm
6 tbs olive oil
4 cloves
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 medium onion. Finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
2 tbs tomato puree
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
½ cup pine nuts
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tbs tamari
½ cup chopped fresh coriander

1) Drop the whole aubergines into a large pan of boiling water, boil gently for 15 minutes.
Drain and cool. Cut in half length ways. Carefully cut out the flesh into pieces, keeping the
skin whole.
2) Heat 4 tbs oil in a heavy based pan with the cloves, bay leaves and ci nnamon. Add the
onion, garlic, and soften for a few minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook for a few more
minutes. Then add the tomatoes, pine nuts, pepper and tamari, along with the aubergine.
Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
3) Stir in the fresh herbs and pile into the aubergine skins. Place in a greased oven-proof
dish. Drizzle with a little oil and bake for 20 - 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Serve with rice and salad
Gizmo

Postby felizefun » 06 Nov 2013, 15:56

Gizmo - thanks for posting these recipes. My DH is vegetarian so he'll love them. Quick question. By Tamari do you mean the Japanese soy sauce? What can I substitute it with?
felizefun

Postby Gizmo » 06 Nov 2013, 18:46

Yep Tamari is the soy sauce, not sure really, do you not like it or not know where to get it? Maybe a splash of Worcester Sauce would work.

I have a great book full of recipes like this. PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you, it's in PDF format.
Gizmo

Postby mamapup » 06 Nov 2013, 20:27

Yum, gizmo, those aubergines look amazing. Ta.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby fourweewonders » 06 Nov 2013, 21:09

This all sound lovely

who wants me round for dinner first ;)
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby Gizmo » 06 Nov 2013, 21:21

Pop round, I'll make you dinner :)
Gizmo

Postby DustyMcBrush » 06 Nov 2013, 21:55

Ooh good, am in desperate need of some new recipes to try for the girls to spurn.

Its not my fav ever that I would make if DP and I were eating alone, but as a good all rounder I love Jamie Olivers Napolitana pasta dish. Its so simple and only takes the amount of time it takes to cook the spaghetti/linguine.

Basically:

(While pasta cooks)

-Drop one tin of anchovies in oil into a pan.
-Add capers and garlic
-Add 2 tins tinned toms
-Add tuna at end (and optional olives)
-Add juice of a lemon
"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy and his Bear will always be playing."
DustyMcBrush

Postby joneemaxx8088 » 07 Nov 2013, 12:49

i have heard about Arabian Stuffed Aubergines recipe it is really very best.
joneemaxx8088

Postby felizefun » 08 Nov 2013, 12:49

Gizmo wrote:Yep Tamari is the soy sauce, not sure really, do you not like it or not know where to get it? Maybe a splash of Worcester Sauce would work.

I have a great book full of recipes like this. PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you, it's in PDF format.

wow, thanks, I'll PM you my email address.

I don't have Tamari at home so I was wondering whether I can substitute it with regular soya sauce. Can I?

Thanks!
felizefun

Next

Return to Recipes