Basic Moroccan Countryside Stew

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Basic Moroccan Countryside Stew

Postby Biddy » 04 Jul 2013, 15:53

I tend to just throw this together so the quantities may not be too accurate, but it really doesn't matter, it always turns out yummy. This is the sort of basic dish that's eaten all year round in morocco, especially in the countryside where people are poorer. The vegetables are normally carrots, peas, potatoes, but you can really put anything you like in it.

I don't have a slow cooker but I see no reason why it can't be cooked in one.

Some meat (500g to a kilo?) or cooked pulses (that's legumes for those across the pond)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground ginger
Half tsp turmeric
Half tsp cinnamon OR ras el hanout if you have any
Quarter to half tsp pepper
1 tsp salt (or to your taste)
3 tomatoes, chopped or the equivalent amount of tinned chopped tomatoes
4 or 5 carrots peeled and chopped in half
3 potatoes peeled and chopped in quarters
(You could also add swede, unpeeled squash, courgettes, runner beans, absolutely anything you like!)
A couple of handfuls of frozen peas
A handful of parsley, chopped or not it's up to you.
A handful of coriander

Mix the onion, garlic, meat, spices and tomatoes in the oil and cook for about 15mins with the lid off, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned and you have a thick spicy sauce. Add about a litre of water (or stock if you prefer) and the parsley. Cover and simmer for about 30mins. Add carrots and simmer for 15mins. Add potatoes and simmer until cooked. Add peas and coriander a few minutes before the potatoes are done. You can take the lid off at any point if you want to reduce the liquid, or add more!

Serve with couscous or bread.

ETA: veg is usually in large chunks, less trouble and great for BLW babies. Add harder veg with the carrots and softer veg like squash with the potatoes.
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Re: Basic Moroccan Countryside Stew

Postby meerkatsmum » 04 Jul 2013, 23:09

Thanks Biddy! That sounds great! We'll have to try it!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby crabapple » 05 Jul 2013, 07:25

Thanks biddy. I have summer turnips and broadbeans in my veg box this week so this recipe has come in the nick of time...
crabapple

Postby felizefun » 05 Jul 2013, 17:49

Thanks Biddy. I'm so gonna try this next week.
felizefun

Postby sabrina fair » 13 Sep 2016, 13:32

Just bumping this because it's an awesome recipe that I search for regularly. I really ought to write it down somewhere in case the forum ever goes down catastrophically. Biddy - if you ever drop in to have a lurk, thank you!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to Recipes