Healthy baking ideas

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Healthy baking ideas

Postby DustyMcBrush » 11 Apr 2012, 19:46

What do you bake with your lo's that's marginally healthy?? R has had waaaaay too much sugar over easter but is quite into baking so thought we would give it a whirl tomorrow. We have done the banana bread before which she loves. Any tried and tested recipes for an extremely fussy toddler?
"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy and his Bear will always be playing."
DustyMcBrush

Re: Healthy baking ideas

Postby doodlesmummy » 11 Apr 2012, 20:16

drop scones? can add anything to mix and they are yummy, esp warm!
1/2 pint milk
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
plain flour

whisk up egg and milk, add plain flour bit by bit til a thick pancake batter consistency, mix in baking powder and then cook!
can add vanilla and a little icing sugar for sweet
cheese n ham
sultanas and cinnamon

anything you like!
nom nom!
DM x
Doodle's Mummy

its not how much you eat...but how you eat it that counts!
doodlesmummy

Postby Fozza » 11 Apr 2012, 20:19

Cheese straws? Or cheese scones?
Not healthy as such but not sugary.
Mum to
A - 09/04/11, Z - 27/02/09, F - 06/03/07
O - 27/02/06...My Forever Baby
Fozza

Postby MummaQ » 11 Apr 2012, 21:13

Bread... or rolls... Pizza...

Savoury muffins?

Jam tarts? Sugar free jam of course...

Xxx
MummaQ

Postby LucyL » 11 Apr 2012, 21:25

One of our really easy staple snacks are these fruit and veg muffins:

Sift and mix:
1 cup flour (any flour you like really - buckwheat is nice, but I usually just use plain brown flour since it's what we have around the house anyway)
1 cup oat bran
2 tsp baking powder

Cream:
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar (I usually half this and add an extra apple)
75ml canola/sunflower oil

Grate:
4 carrots
2 courgettes
2 apples
(these amounts are just an estimation - the recipe works well with any amount of mucking around and substitution)

Add:
1/2 cup raisins/sultanas

Mix this all together and bake at 170°C for 20-25 mins.
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby MummaQ » 12 Apr 2012, 19:02

LucyL wrote:One of our really easy staple snacks are these fruit and veg muffins:

Sift and mix:
1 cup flour (any flour you like really - buckwheat is nice, but I usually just use plain brown flour since it's what we have around the house anyway)
1 cup oat bran
2 tsp baking powder

Cream:
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar (I usually half this and add an extra apple)
75ml canola/sunflower oil

Grate:
4 carrots
2 courgettes
2 apples
(these amounts are just an estimation - the recipe works well with any amount of mucking around and substitution)

Add:
1/2 cup raisins/sultanas

Mix this all together and bake at 170°C for 20-25 mins.

Tis looks great! What's Oat Bran??? Is it like instant oats you buy to make porridge??

Xxx
MummaQ

Postby MilkyJoe » 12 Apr 2012, 19:12

I can't vouch for the recipes (yet) but a friend lent me a cookbook that uses vegetables rather than butter for the cakes - they sound and look amazing and it gets great reviews on Amazon... Tomorrow I shall be trying the aubergine and chocolate cake, next week it'll be the orange and rosemary loaf with swede! :OD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0593 ... d_i=468294
(I was QBM)!

Mama to two amazing girls.
SummerGirl - 2011
WinterBaby - 2014
MilkyJoe

Postby Sandytoes » 17 Apr 2012, 17:51

We've been making apple crumble a lot recently, as T loves it. I make the topping with just oats, butter and cinnamon, so she can eat as much as she likes of it and it's all good.
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby Popsie » 21 Apr 2012, 21:59

ratoncito wrote:I can't vouch for the recipes (yet) but a friend lent me a cookbook that uses vegetables rather than butter for the cakes - they sound and look amazing and it gets great reviews on Amazon... Tomorrow I shall be trying the aubergine and chocolate cake, next week it'll be the orange and rosemary loaf with swede! :OD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0593 ... d_i=468294

I can vouch for that book- its brill! Plus they all use ground nuts too. Replaces fats with nut oils and moisture from veggies.

I can recommend thoroughly the cherry almond cake and the banana Cinammon nut loaf (with courgettes and pecans/Brazils I think ). Ive made them both numerous times... The raspberry elderflower cupcakes, choc pistachio cake and birthday cake are all fab too. Hmmm I haven't baked from there in ages I think i should get back on it !!! Thanks for the reminder!

Let me know about those two as I've not done those and I've wanted to do the choc heartache cake for ages now.
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby MilkyJoe » 30 Apr 2012, 19:45

Hi Popsie

I have finally made a couple of the cakes - the orange and rosemary drizzle one which was lovely though had a bit much drizzle (you could have wrung it out), and the parsnip, apple and cider cake (which admittedly burnt black on the bottom but was delicious otherwise). Not yet made the chocolate heartache one - I realised just how many expensive bars of dark chocolate it needed and decided it wasn't an arse-gradually-by-myself cake and will be saving that one for guests!! :)
(I was QBM)!

SummerGirl - 2011
WinterBaby - 2014
MilkyJoe

Postby Popsie » 04 May 2012, 15:01

Ha ha I had the exact same thought on that Chocolate Heartache one! Plus the aubergine in it slightly scares me... Made the banana cinnamon courgette one yesterday and took it round to my friend's. Felt guilt free as it has banana, courgette (think of the folic acid for our 2 unborn babies! ;-) totally selfless) and nuts too. Only bad thing is the sugar but be good outweighs the bad in that recipe.
I like baking courgette and potato ones best as they seem the best texture wise. I find the butternut squash a bit dry sometimes. Plus pregnant friends really appreciate the fact that the courgette ones are actively 'good' for them!
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby scoobie » 06 May 2012, 21:17

I love these:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/0 ... ini-bread/

Made with whole wheat flour and honey...they are so good! I usually use both shredded carrots and zucchini as well. It's about the only way I can get Max to eat a vegetable :/
Heather
Homebirthing, BFing, sleep-sharing, babywearing, and cloth diapering/ECing mommy to Max (2/13/09)
scoobie

Postby MilkyJoe » 23 Jun 2012, 18:32

I know it's been ages but, Popsie, I made the chocolate heartache cake... It is really, really delicious and so easy (and I HATE aubergines)!

Go on... You know you want to!

:wink:
(I was QBM)!

SummerGirl - 2011
WinterBaby - 2014
MilkyJoe

Postby AB&M » 23 Jun 2012, 19:10

I made some tropical breakfast bars this week using nut butter pineapple (fresh & dried) to make the purée to mix with oats. They weren't that sweet but I thought they were yummy!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby shye » 23 Jun 2012, 19:13

That sounds good BM, recipe?
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Next

Return to Recipes