Organix Goodies oat bar recipe!!

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Re: Organix Goodies oat bar recipe!!

Postby catie_lou » 03 Nov 2011, 19:16

If you make them with oatbran they end up a bit dry, so possibly add some honey to add some extra moisture and stickyness. I think melting the butter with the honey in will distribute it abit better
catie_lou

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 14 Nov 2011, 13:46

Apricot ones now made and just as popular :)
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby cherryblossom » 04 Oct 2014, 15:53

Ooh thanks for this. DS has had them at grandmas and loved them so I tried making them today and ( although I can't compare to the goodies ones) I think they're rather nice. I left them to cool so as to avoid them breaking up like suggested but they do crumble apart very easily when eating - any ideas how to improve this for next time? TIA
cherryblossom

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 05 Oct 2014, 19:36

I whizz them in the food processor and add a little water from the kettle (usually still hot-ish) and this seems to help them stick together! I can't believe I posted on this 3 years ago and I still make these things!! I can actually do them from memory now!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby emzit » 07 Oct 2014, 09:41

Ignore me, just a little note so I can find this later! They sound fab!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby qbm » 07 Oct 2014, 18:36

I made these yesterday with SG and they are delicious! I had to add quite a bit more warm water though... My smoothie blender started to smoke and when I had to switch to my handheld it fused twice before I reached the right consistency. :oops: I cooked mine for a bit longer and they weren't crumbly which I suppose could be down to the liquid added.

They really were good though and so quick and easy (blender incidents aside).
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Treeb » 07 Oct 2014, 18:44

These look great, will have to try them once I get more coconut.

Does anyone know if they freeze well? Do you keep them in the fridge, or just at room temp.?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby qbm » 07 Oct 2014, 18:55

Treeb wrote:These look great, will have to try them once I get more coconut.

Does anyone know if they freeze well? Do you keep them in the fridge, or just at room temp.?

I had planned to stick them in the freezer... I may have eaten rather a lot of them since yesterday morning... I'll freeze the next batch. I really will.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby bashakita » 18 Aug 2015, 11:30

Thank you SO very much for this recipe! I'd been thinking of making my own as the brand's own is not only pricey for such a simple treat but also uses loads of packaging, and I can still never quite trust anything with a long shelf-life, whatever the brand claims.

By the way, orange juice also works well and adding sunflower seeds into the food processor with the coconut and oats worked a treat too.
bashakita

Postby treek » 19 Jan 2016, 20:30

Made raspberry, strawberry and coconut bars today using freeze dried raspberries and strawberries (ground up with the oats and coconut) dates for sweetness and coconut oil instead of butter to make it dairy free. They are GORGEOUS! I've made myself freeze all but a few to stop me eating them all :oops:
treek

Postby yorkshirepudding » 19 Jan 2016, 21:17

Ooh that sounds like a luxury version treek! I make a different recipe where I mince dried fruit (mainly dates), mix with bit of juice and butter, and add oats and grated carrot until it looks thick enough to bake. Acceptable to me and oh, loved by lo. But other added fruit would make them very moreish I'm sure!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby treek » 20 Jan 2016, 10:42

I like the sound of adding carrot yp - do you blitz up the oats? Or just add them whole? If you've got vague quantities that'd be great! :)
treek

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Jan 2016, 14:12

YP sour version sounds very like mine but I haven't made mine in ages. I keep meaning too but mine always come out quite crumbly which makes them a bit of a pain for my girls lol. Hopefully they'd make a filling snack though as my girls just tend to graze all day otherwise lol
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby yorkshirepudding » 20 Jan 2016, 21:24

Just leave the oats as they are, porridge ones not jumbo.

Hmm, I knew I should measure it at some point! Roughly...

Butter about 40g
Dates/ dried apricots/ prunes/ sultanas, minced (we bought a mincer just to make Xmas mincemeat!) I did make it with chopped dates which worked but better minced for sticking together. Approx 200g
Splash of fruit juice.
Gently heat all these together in a pan until the butter is melted and it looks a bit 'jammy'. Take off heat.
Stir in:
2 small carrots, finely grated
Porridge oats (as they come), approx 200g? Not really sure, but until it looks quite oaty, it is quite a sticky mix so can hold a lot of oats without falling to bits when cooked.
Flatten into a baking tin, this only makes a 20x20cm tin as that is all I had at Fil's house. Bake 180C for 10 ish mins. I cut it into toddler portions, about 20. Sorry to be very vague!

I sometimes add cinnamon and orange oil (like you can put in icing) in an attempt to recreate the 'carrot cake' goodies bars! I did add grated apple too once, it was ok but made it v wet so should probably have had more dried fruit and oats.

Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Previous

Return to Recipes