wakey wakey cakey

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

wakey wakey cakey

Postby wulf » 21 Feb 2008, 09:46

DS2 (and toddler DS1) both liked my first attempt at an alternative to the porridge pancake. This is good at breakfast and excellent on-the-go as it's very self contained.

:bsmile Wakey Wakey Cakey - makes 6

2 weetabix
20g cornflakes
100ml milk
1 small banana

1 small fairy-cake tin
butter or olive oil for greasing

1. Preheat oven to 190C (or 170 for fan ovens) and grease the tin.
2. Mix together one of the weetabix, milk and cornflakes, crushing cornflakes in the process until you have a paste.
3. Mash the banana into the cereal mixture until smooth, then add the second weetabix. You should have something with a sticky, cement like consistency.
4. Divide into six and spoon into the greased tin, pressing down with a spoon so that you have six little discs of cereal mixture. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.

I left them overnight, and they turned out to have a good chewy consistency in the morning. My 6mo managed to eat quite a bit without the cake turning to mush in his hands. I'm going to try some more variants of this - replacing the milk with yoghurt and perhaps putting some dried fruit in for my older son.
wulf

Postby Pics » 21 Feb 2008, 10:05

Ooh - this looks good - willa actually sort myself out to try this one!
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Millicent » 09 Mar 2008, 15:04

Thanks wulf, I tried this with great success. He loved it and I'm going to try some variations too. Have you tried any more yourself?
Millicent

Postby wulf » 16 Mar 2008, 18:51

They were very good with yoghurt instead of the milk, and I've also tried with tinned prunes instead of banana, which was ok, but Stan and I thought that banana tasted better. I've been using them a fair bit as on-the-go-food, as they're less messy than some of the alternatives. Sometimes I leave the cornflakes out, sometimes I put them in - I think any cereal would do, but they help with the texture a bit. I have used raisins which are very popular too.
Mummy to Wulfric born Nov 2005 and Athelstan born Aug 2007
wulf

Postby little miss mac » 16 Mar 2008, 18:58

Oooh - Weetabix etc now on tomorrow's shopping list... can't bear the stuff myself but this sounds lovely!
Saving stuff for later
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/256 ... f3.jpg?v=0
Mess courtesy of minimac, born 13th Sept 07
little miss mac

Postby Svea » 16 Mar 2008, 21:14

yes, will deffo try this one when LO hits the 'gluten allowed' age...
Svea

Postby Dakiara » 17 Mar 2008, 08:21

Tried this one too, good recipe, thanks! :)

Found them a lot more squidgy in the middle than I anticipated though - think I didn't cook enough? They were cooked tasting though, and nice and brown on the top and bottom. Wee one actually ate some - which is rare for the first try of something! :D They've ended up in the freezer in thirds for snacks and on the go food. :D

Anyone tried them with oatibix?
Dakiara

Postby wulf » 17 Mar 2008, 18:18

I've had a squidgy batch too - I put it down to using a bigger-than-usual banana. Stan didn't seem to mind, though.
wulf

Postby Heidi » 17 Mar 2008, 21:43

I made these with left-over hippabix, milk and banana and ds actually ate a bit- he's been in a rice-cake only phase for a week so far! Thanks Wulf
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby wulf » 27 Mar 2008, 21:00

I've now perfected the prune variant, and the kids like it (and more to the point it sorted out Stan's constipation!)
:bsmile Prune Wakey Wakey Cakey - makes 6

2 weetabix
20g cornflakes
20g oats
1/2 tin prunes in juice

1 small fairy-cake tin
butter or olive oil for greasing

1. Preheat oven to 190C (or 170 for fan ovens) and grease the tin.
2. Mash up the weetabix, oats and cornflakes, crushing cornflakes in the process.
3. Mash prunes and juice into the cereal mixture until it's a bit like cement. You need it to be a quite firm consistency, so that you have a sort of dough.
4. Divide into six and spoon into the greased tin, pressing down with a spoon so that you have six little discs of cereal mixture. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The mixture is quite dark to begin with, but does cook quite quickly.
5. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack. If the cakes seem squidgy, leave overnight on the cooling rack and they'll be firmer and a bit chewy in the morning.
wulf

Postby collington » 06 Apr 2008, 22:45

Ok -- so FYI...

0.2 of a kilogram is NOT 20 grams. WHOOPS! :?

Needless to say it didn't turn out well. Luckily, I knew it wasn't good so I just kept piling in liquid ingredients till it was viable. To be honest, I absolutely know it was still too dry -- but even my awful franken-cakes turned out yummy. I'm sure when I do it again to the PROPER PROPORTIONS they'll be great. Thanks for the recipe!!

Lisa
collington

Postby AB&M » 07 Apr 2008, 12:37

LOL! That's the sort of thing I do!! I can still remember the awful result from trying to double the quantities of the cheesey broccoli muffins!!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby doodlesmummy » 07 Apr 2008, 13:54

fab recipe...made both banana and prune types. DD1 likes nana ones, DD2 likes prune ones...typical. But a great way to give them a 'cake' that is a healthy snack and DD1 helped me make them, so she felt v grown up!

Ps wonder if it could be even easier to make in paper cake cases, as I found it a bit tricky on removal from tins? Will try next time and report back.

pps a got stodgy nana batch, just held off on the milk til I saw what consistency it made and baked for a little longer...seemed to do the trick!

thanks for recipe!
Doodle's Mummy

its not how much you eat...but how you eat it that counts!
doodlesmummy

Postby little miss mac » 08 Apr 2008, 21:08

How NOT to make wakey wakey cake: measure 200g of cornflakes rather than 20g. And continue to make it, even though it doesn't seem to be quite the same consistency as last time.

This is what 7 months of sleep deprivation does to you :(

Anyway, I chucked out half the mixture, added some more weetabix and banana, and it's in the oven. We'll see how it turns out :D
Saving stuff for later
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/256 ... f3.jpg?v=0
Mess courtesy of minimac, born 13th Sept 07
little miss mac

love it!

Postby worluce » 11 Apr 2008, 12:55

I made these using my magimix- didn't have cornflakes so threw in some of hubbies dorset muesli (nuts chopped up by mixer!), it was a bit runny so added ready brek til it was cement like and threw in a medjool date as they're our most fav thing! came out great!
worluce

Next

Return to Recipes