SCC - Recipe Three - Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

SCC - Recipe Three - Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry

Postby eterna » 26 Oct 2010, 01:30

I found this on a recipe site while searching for a way to use up my sweet potatoes. Posting for cailindeas.

Chicken & Sweet Potato Crock-Pot Curry
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or one rotisserie chicken)
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (4-6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (minus ⅙ of can) chicken broth
¾ cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
1 Tbsp grated ginger
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp allspice
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Serve with brown basmati rice!

I really liked this a lot. I just chucked in some frozen chicken, used 1 cup of homemade chicken stock instead of a can, full fat yogurt instead of nonfat and a little less cayenne. I give it a 9/10 and the only reason it's not a 10 is because you have to cook the rice separately so there is still some wait time if you're making this after work. I made it on a day off so it wasn't too bad. DH liked it too but DD didn't really eat anything other than a few bites of chicken but she turns her nose at any cooked veggie or potato right now so I'm not surprised.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Re: SCC - Recipe Three - Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry

Postby ladyphlogiston » 26 Oct 2010, 23:47

looks lovely! I was just looking for something along these lines, too. It sounds like it would also be good with couscous, and that only takes a few minutes if you do it in the microwave....
ladyphlogiston

Postby cailindeas » 27 Oct 2010, 02:16

Thanks eterna!
cailindeas

Postby shye » 27 Oct 2010, 07:56

Looks scrummy!
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby ladyphlogiston » 29 Oct 2010, 16:23

This was a hit! My husband's eyes lit up when he opened the crockpot, and he happily ate quite a lot. It was a bit spicy for the baby, even through I cut back the cayenne pepper, so I rinsed off a couple of pieces of sweet potato (I didn't cube it, just sliced it and halved each slice) and she ate those. I used chicken thighs, mostly because I don't like white meat, and it was excellent.

I do feel it needs a green vegetable for balance - maybe I'll make broccoli to serve with the leftovers.
ladyphlogiston

Postby ladyphlogiston » 08 Nov 2010, 20:12

followup to my above post - turns out the spices weren't too much for the baby after all. I guess she's less sensitive than I am :) When my husband had eaten all the chicken, I added a can of chickpeas, stirred them in and heated it through in the microwave. The sweet potatoes mostly fell apart, so now it's Chickpeas in a Chunky Sweet Potato Curry Sauce, and just as delicious. Hooray!
ladyphlogiston

Return to Recipes