Recipes with yogurt?

Post them up and every so often I'll snaffle them and put them on the blog, if that's okay? It'll save you the trouble of emailing them to me. (It will mean you lose out on our charming personal interaction but I sense you can live with that.)

Recipes with yogurt?

Postby ameliare » 18 Apr 2015, 03:15

My son loves yogurt and we can only find it in the large container so we can't use it all before it expires. We use plain, natural, full fat (3%) yogurt. Anyone have any food ideas for things we can make with it?

Right now all we do is give a pre-loaded spoon or dip in veggies. The only recipe I found for blueberry yogurt popsicles but my LO hates popsicles, too cold. He is 6 months old so he's a beginner, though doing very well.
Mom to a little boy, Emmett (October 2014).
ameliare

Re: Recipes with yogurt?

Postby Treeb » 18 Apr 2015, 12:41

I've seen it as an ingredient in both pancakes and muffins, both of which can be good foods for a beginner. On my phone so don't have access to any specific recipes I might have saved. You could look for the "my lovely little lunchbox" site as I seem to remember she uses them in her muffins.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Lily » 18 Apr 2015, 14:07

It works great as a savoury dip - mix in lemon juice, black pepper, minced garlic, cumin, any other chopped herbs or spices you fancy. Serve it with veggie sticks or fingers of toasted pitta bread.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby EnigmaFish » 18 Apr 2015, 18:03

Anything that calls for sour cream or creme fraiche, you could use yoghurt instead. It will change the taste slightly, but the consistency is the same.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby DaliaJesse » 10 Jun 2015, 11:07

My baby loves yogurt a lot. I will add fruits like banana, apple, strawberries, blueberry, mango and peach to the yogurt - make perfect instant baby food and also easy to digest. Babies need more fat so don't give low fat yogurt.
DaliaJesse

Postby Kitcameron » 10 Jun 2015, 19:29

Curry - yes you can feed a six month old curry lol.

I wonder if you can freeze it then defrost it and have it as yoghurt again, just to keep it a bit longer. Anyone know?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby bigcatmaniac » 10 Jun 2015, 19:46

Use it in dips. With smoked mackerel / tuna /salmon for a quick and easy fish pate, or in soups e.g. Tomato and basil. The lamb burger recipe in the BLW book has yoghurt in it too and if makes the meat more tender. I added to curries / chillies / fajitas at the start to make them milder.
bigcatmaniac

Postby qbm » 10 Jun 2015, 19:58

Treeb got there before me but I was going to say...

Use it to make pancakes! I tried this yesterday and it made the most delicious, fluffy pancakes ever :)

Here's the particular recipe I used: http://mylovelylittlelunchbox.com/2013/ ... -pancakes/
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby LucyLastic » 10 Jun 2015, 20:50

You can use it to make chicken tikka; you can tone down the spicing a bit if you're feeding it to a teeny one, but my daughter has always had spicy food - I just use (yet more!) yoghurt to tone down anything really poky. I shared a recipe for an oven baked version which we love (and seemed pretty popular with others on here too !) I serve it with these flatbreads, which also use quite a bit of yoghurt, and a yoghurt and mint sauce (yoghurt, mint sauce, a teaspoon of sugar or honey), then cucumber and carrot salad. Hope you find some tasty ways of using up your yoghurt!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Kitcameron » 10 Jun 2015, 20:55

I'm finding some tasty ways to use up yoghurt lol.
Kitcameron

Postby SusanMcGee » 20 Jul 2016, 08:48

Vanilla yogurt is amazing in smoothies. My favorite is frozen blueberries, ice, apple juice, banana, and vanilla yogurt.
SusanMcGee

Postby Kitcameron » 22 Jul 2016, 12:14

Not sweet potato?
Kitcameron

Postby SusanMcGee » 31 Aug 2016, 09:15

This is Rachael Ray's recipe for

Indian-Spiced Patties with Yogurt Sauce

1¼ pounds ground chicken or lamb
2 tablespoons mild or hot curry paste
1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal Steak
Seasoning (a palmful)
2 pinches of ground cinnamon or ground cloves
1½ teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
1½ teaspoons ground coriander (half a palmful)
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
A generous handful of cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
A generous handful of mint
4 leaves of Bibb or Boston lettuce, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
Salt
4 pita rounds

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Mix the ground chicken with the curry paste, grill seasoning, cinnamon, cumin and coriander and form into 4 large, 1/2-inch-thick patties. Coat the patties with a little EVOO and grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side (3 minutes on each side for lamb).

In a food processor, blend the yogurt with the garlic, lemon juice, cilantro and mint until smooth. Season the lettuce and tomatoes with a little salt.

Char the pitas on the grill, about 1 minute on each side, and cut about 1 inch off the tops. Open each pita and fill with a patty, a quarter of the chopped lettuce and sliced tomatoes and a generous spoonful of the yogurt sauce.
SusanMcGee

Postby Clara Downer » 19 Jun 2017, 03:25

Cheesecake! Easy to prepare especially those no-bake recipes :)
Clara Downer

Return to Recipes