Shortening curtains

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Shortening curtains

Postby LucyLastic » 02 Feb 2015, 22:33

Does anyone have a link to a proven foolproof guide to shortening curtains? I bought some 'Mariam' curtains from Ikea on Saturday as our front door can be a bit draughty, but apparently in Sweden, they all have extremely high ceilings as these have a 3m drop! I don't want them dragging on the floor, especially not near the front door as they'll just get really grubby, so I need to take them up about 80cm. Does anyone have any handy advice? Thanks in advance.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Shortening curtains

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 03 Feb 2015, 09:58

Is there a pattern you can follow to give yourself a straight line to work to? The best thing to do is hang them and start pinning to the length the want them. If you do have a pattern on the fabric, it will be easy to get the line straight.

I would cut the lining to the final curtain length as hemming it with the curtains will create bulk at the bottom. Leave a really good length of curtain - around 8 inches - for the fabric hem. Then hem that exactly in half rather than do a small seam across the top IYSWIM. The finished length of the lining will then sit inside the seam fold, creating a nice neat edge!

HTH
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Lily » 03 Feb 2015, 14:17

Personally I always prefer to leave the lining and the main fabric separate at the bottom, and just join them at the top and down the sides. It helps to prevent it from catching and draping oddly, which can easily happen if they're big curtains and your dimensions are a tiny bit off. So if it were me, I'd hem the lining up a couple of inches shorter than the main fabric.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby LucyLastic » 03 Feb 2015, 14:40

Thanks you. They're unlined - will this make a great deal of difference? Should i still leave such a big margin for the hem?
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Lily » 03 Feb 2015, 17:59

It'll make it much easier! For neatness, in that case, I'd leave a nice big margin and turn it over twice, so the raw edge is hidden inside iyswim.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby mamapup » 03 Feb 2015, 19:28

We had Ikea curtains in our old house and they had to be taken up quite a lot. MrC did it by just turning and hemming as far as I know.

So maybe my answer needs to be to let someone else do it!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 03 Feb 2015, 19:32

I'm pretty sure all ikea curtains come in 3m length. Does it come with iron on tape? It's avpoor second to actual sewing but could be helpful if you don't have a sewing machine.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby LucyLastic » 03 Feb 2015, 20:44

I've got a sewing machine and am quite happy to give it a go. They're curtains to go at the front door, so no one will sit and look at them anyway, but I thought I'd try and do the best job I can on them - hence asking you lovely people!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Return to Crafternet