Good sewing forums

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Good sewing forums

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 03 Jan 2015, 19:07

Do any of you go on any sewing forums and have any recommendations?
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: Good sewing forums

Postby qbm » 06 Jan 2015, 07:27

Can't help I'm afraid - was interested to see if anyone else had any suggestions!

What are you making?
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Raktajino » 06 Jan 2015, 19:23

Doesn't ravelry have a forum? Or did I make that up?
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby LucyLastic » 06 Jan 2015, 23:05

Had a quick google and thesewingforum.co.uk seems active and has recent posts. Haven't used it myself. Ravelry does a forum and very handy it is too if you have any questions about knitting. They know EVERYTHING.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Raktajino » 07 Jan 2015, 07:11

Ah sorry, got confused with my knitting and sewing! Never mind me!
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 07 Jan 2015, 12:29

Will check that one out Lucy. I've seen a few when I've googled particular issues and wondered if anyone here goes on them / has personal preferences.

MJ - I've just finished making myself a "proper" dress! As in, I used a pattern from a Japanese sewing book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stylish-Dress-B ... 1780671075) and it had things called "plackets" and covered buttons and all sorts! I'm really pleased with it especially as the instructions were along the lines of "Make the placket" to which my response was "WTF is a placket?!". Next up I'm back to jersey dresses and leggings for Baby Girl.

What's anyone else making?
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby ToothFairy » 07 Jan 2015, 12:57

Martha wants me to make her ball gown for her year 11 ball, Elsie wants Anna and Elsa dresses, and I have some awesome Lego print fabric to make floor cushions for Dylan's room.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby LucyLastic » 07 Jan 2015, 13:20

I want to make C a beanbag but can't make up my mind whether to use Belle & Boo furnishing fabric or John Lewis. The B&B stuff is so lovely, but JL is much cheaper and they sent me samples so I know exactly what I'd be getting. And I haven't got the lining yet. Anyone made a beanbag before?
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby qbm » 07 Jan 2015, 13:38

Where'stheMistletoe wrote:MJ - I've just finished making myself a "proper" dress! As in, I used a pattern from a Japanese sewing book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stylish-Dress-B ... 1780671075) and it had things called "plackets" and covered buttons and all sorts! I'm really pleased with it especially as the instructions were along the lines of "Make the placket" to which my response was "WTF is a placket?!". Next up I'm back to jersey dresses and leggings for Baby Girl.

<very impressed>

I haven't really looked at my sewing machine for a long time but I made a couple of stockings before Christmas and realised how much I missed sewing. I'm really not all that good though. I am making a height chart now for WB - I already made one for SG for her first birthday so I know I can do it!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Jan 2015, 15:08

Watching with interest! I'd love to find a forum as I've been sewing for years and am not really phased by anything but I don't think I'm especially good at it! I've also got my mum over-locker on loan so need to get my head around it!

I also got a new machine for birthday and Christmas which I've just done basic sewing on so far - aside from a few decorative stitches on my Christmas swap gift!

Have finished my friends blinds and bar stool covers so can carry on with things I want to do. I bought some fabrics last year to make some dresses for the girls so will do those for this coming summer. I also want to re-curtain the sitting, dining rooms and kitchen but that's going on hold as we try to sort out with the council what we can do with the house (selling/knock down/re-develop) so making them now seems a bit futile!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby qbm » 07 Jan 2015, 17:29

Wow! That's quite a list HF :)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 07 Jan 2015, 18:13

LucyLastic wrote:I want to make C a beanbag but can't make up my mind whether to use Belle & Boo furnishing fabric or John Lewis. The B&B stuff is so lovely, but JL is much cheaper and they sent me samples so I know exactly what I'd be getting. And I haven't got the lining yet. Anyone made a beanbag before?

I made one from "one yard wonders" not sure which book. Maybe the fabric by fabric one. It was very easy. There was no lining. I just made an extra one, with the fabric I liked as the cover. I used Velcro on one side so I could take it off yo wash it.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Jan 2015, 20:55

MilkyJoe wrote:Wow! That's quite a list HF :)

Yes it is! And i've just remembered I'm part-way through a dress for me and had intended on making and waistcoat for DH for his birthday (last November)! I'll get around to starting once the house is back in some assemblance of order following Christmas chaos!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby qbm » 08 Jan 2015, 17:05

Where'stheMistletoe wrote: As in, I used a pattern from a Japanese sewing book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stylish-Dress-B ... 1780671075) and it had things called "plackets" and covered buttons and all sorts! I'm really pleased with it especially as the instructions were along the lines of "Make the placket" to which my response was "WTF is a placket?!". Next up I'm back to jersey dresses and leggings for Baby Girl.

I like the look of that book but it says it's for 'experienced sewers'. How tricky is it? I have made quite a few skirts before and one pretty shapeless dress but I have no idea what a placket is!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 08 Jan 2015, 19:17

I've only made the one pattern out of it (dress J) but it's been the most time intensive item of clothing I've made. I am usually pretty slapdash though. The instructions are quite minimal or rather very efficient instructions - I think all the information you need is given but you have to really stare at the pictures for ages (or I did) until you can work it out.
Where'stheMistletoe

Next

Return to Crafternet