Sewing denim with strong thread

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Sewing denim with strong thread

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 03 Dec 2014, 22:02

Looking for a bit of advice...

I'm attempting my first pair of jeans for Wriggles (got some lovely nautical denim :) ) and got a denim needle and some strong thread. The top thread keeps snapping, worse on reverse stitch at seam ends. I've googled and you-tubed and have (1) cleaned out my machine (2) adjusted my tension (now on maximum 9, never used anything other than standard 4 before) and (3) changed the denim needle to size 100. It's slightly better but still snapping and driving me mad - given baby that needs less sleep than an adult I really don't have time for Issues with sewing!! Switching to normal thread at top (but still strong on bobbin) seems to stop the problem but a thicker thread feels like it will be better and looks better.

Any sewing gurus have any ideas?

Thanks very much!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: Sewing denim with strong thread

Postby sabrina fair » 04 Dec 2014, 15:37

No advice but Oh My God I'm impressed that you can even contemplate doing sonething so complex, let alone put it into practice! I'm on a ridiculously rare child free day today and I'm trying to make a stupidly simple blind for the bathroom. I've done the cutting and pressing but have ground to a halt because I've realised I'm out of plain white thread. I mean, who does that?!

So I'm now eating ice cream and watching jamie oliver.

Um, hope someone's along soon with actual advice!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 05 Dec 2014, 22:13

:D ice cream and JO is a fairly good use of child free time! I'm definitely an optimistic amateur at this sort of thing but reckon if you have instructions for something it can't be that difficult... gave up on the strong thread as I'm too impatient to try and sort out the problem so now proceeding with normal thread and seems to be going ok. Good luck with the blinds!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby rodmayroar » 12 Mar 2015, 04:25

Get good knowledge as much as I am. Readers know I'm getting much better.
rodmayroar

Return to Crafternet