Removing embroidered names, and a bit of a AIBU.

Because BLW isn't just for lentil-weavers. Some of us like to piddle about with bits of felt and sticky-backed plastic as well.

Removing embroidered names, and a bit of a AIBU.

Postby Gizmo » 30 Jun 2014, 13:45

The school has a swap shop which is brilliant as you can pick up uniform you need. You can take what you need and it's free, lots of parents give their kids outgrown things. We've saved a small fortune by going to this years. Their school coats are expensive, private school so everything is bloody logoed.

The shop where you get the school uniform said the school likes to have the kids names embroidered on the coats, the guy in the shop made it seem like you had to. I wasn't very happy with this because it seems crazy to embroider names on an expensive bit of kit that next year we could pass on at the swap shop.

I emailed the school and asked if it was really needed and they said 'The name embroidered on the outside is really helpful for us (imagine lots of kids wearing the same clothes), that’s why we ask for it.' but didn't say it was essential. I have to put sew in name labels inside everything anyway. I replied saying that I felt it was very wasteful and as children grow so quickly we would like to be able to pass the coats on, so if names have to be on the outside then would a sewn on label be ok. Waiting for their response now.

I get that the shop which sells uniforms (it's not the schools own shop but an independent that sells many different schools uniform) wants to make more money so if things are embroidered then obviously there is less passing on of things but it grates on me.

I feel annoyed about it because they only have 15 kids in each year group so it's not like they have hundreds to contend with. Also the school is split into 2 buildings. The building they are going to be in for the first 3 years only has 3 years in it, so 45 kids max. AIBU?

Anyhow, if we do have to get the bloody embroidery done then is there any way to remove it? We picked up a smock at the swap shop and it has a name embroidered on it so I need to get that off somehow... Or sew a name label over it. The embroidery is quite small and my stitch picker isn't sharp or small enough.
Gizmo

Re: Removing embroidered names, and a bit of a AIBU.

Postby t&n's mummy » 30 Jun 2014, 14:16

Sounds like a money making scheme to me. They should be perfectly able to learn the names of 45 children, it's not that hard. Personally I wouldn't get the name sewn on, it sounds like it is small anyway so can't be that much help to teachers?
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby Gizmo » 30 Jun 2014, 14:28

Yep I think it's a money making exercise for the shop without a doubt, they must be quids in with parents getting these coats every year. The school itself is pretty good with the swap shop and really promote it to the parents, we got almost all their uniform from there.

It's just these winter coats. The embroidery isn't so small but it because it's done in a thin swirly typeface iyswim.
Gizmo

Postby Kanga » 30 Jun 2014, 14:50

That sounds crazy! When dd started school they all had stickers on their fronts for a week or two until the teacher knew their names but it didn't take long and that's a class of 30!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby mamapup » 30 Jun 2014, 15:31

We had to have our gym kit embroidered with our names or initials (private school too)_ my mum refused until I got in serious trouble. Never figured out why we had to do it when, as.you say, name tape will help prevent loss.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby ToothFairy » 30 Jun 2014, 15:43

That sounds ridiculous! Dylan's school has approximately 630 pupils and the head knows every one by name! She even remembers Martha's name, and she left four years ago!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby emzit » 30 Jun 2014, 17:42

I'm imagining lots of kids in the same clothes... and if I can see embroidery on their coats I can surely also see their faces and therefore know who they are...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Jun 2014, 17:53

Do they wear their costs all day?

How is having their name on a coat they are presumably going to leave in a locker going to help
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby SparklePetal » 30 Jun 2014, 18:24

I don't think the school meant they read the names in order to recognise the child, just that it was a quick reference way of returning unworn garments to the owner without searching inside for the label! When I started grammar school we "had" to embroider our initials on the point of our blouse collars for that reason (this was also on top of proper name labels). (Only about three in our class complied, including goody-two-shoes me.)

I think it definitely sounds like a money-spinning ruse in this case. Your LO's coat will easily be identified by being the one without the embroidery, no? :wink:
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby CherryPop » 30 Jun 2014, 19:54

After 7 years of working in a school, I've never yet met a supply teacher who has come into a class of 30 new faces and not known every single name by the end of day. And often all by lunchtime!

I think they're being terribly unreasonable.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Lily » 30 Jun 2014, 20:00

That sounds absurd, for all the reasons everyone's said. But if you end up having no choice, it should be possible to remove it with an unpicker (the little tool you usually get with sewing machines, with a tiny blade between two curved prongs).
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 30 Jun 2014, 20:13

I agree, it sounds bizarre or at the very least a money making scheme. Can you get the embroidery done on the same/similar fabric and then sew the patch on? At least the patch should be easier to remove going forward (and you can reuse it on too of someone else's embroidery in the future!)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Gizmo » 30 Jun 2014, 20:57

SP is right, for them it's a quick reference way of returning unworn garments to the owner without searching inside for the label. It's not at all about the teacher knowing them, she already does because the school is opposite our house and we see her a few times a week and chat.

If the school come back with 'we would prefer it but not essential', which I think they will, then there's no way I'm getting it done. I just can't stand the idea of a good school coat being unusable to someone else because of stupid embroidery.

Lily, I tried using that tool earlier but the stitches are too small. I've just ordered one from amazon for a fiver that is a professional seam ripper with blades. Hopefully that will do it.

RTR, great idea about the patch in the right fabric. Love it :)
Gizmo

Postby jvnt » 01 Jul 2014, 04:21

Sounds like a 'this is how we do it because this is how we've always done it' situation. As it's no profit to the school itself I'm sure they can change their policy if you question it enough.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Gizmo » 01 Jul 2014, 10:32

School have emailed back this morning saying it's not necessary and name label on inside is fine.
Gizmo

Next

Return to Crafternet